DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Hey all final notice to add yourself to sundays group breakfast spreadsheet. If you are not on it by Thursday morning I will assume you are taking care of yourself.

Ryvr.
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    I may have mistyped things along the way, but we are coming up Friday morning, and paddling out Sunday. I saw us listed as coming in on Saturday. Not sure if we'll be able to be there in time to hit the water with everyone else, but we're going to try. No worries if we get left behind.

Shawn

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryvr View Post
    Hey all final notice to add yourself to sundays group breakfast spreadsheet. If you are not on it by Thursday morning I will assume you are taking care of yourself.

Ryvr.
    Just posting this again so people dont have to backtrack 5 pages through the thread:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...hl=en_GB#gid=0

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnh View Post
    I may have mistyped things along the way, but we are coming up Friday morning, and paddling out Sunday. I saw us listed as coming in on Saturday. Not sure if we'll be able to be there in time to hit the water with everyone else, but we're going to try. No worries if we get left behind.

Shawn
    Hey Shawnh,

You can give me a shout on my cell Friday morning until around 9:30 am when I'll likely shut it off. If it works out that you don't expect to be too late then I'll be happy to wait.

Goulash Shoppers...
    Check the recipe and get 3x as much as it says because we need to feed at least 6 people. The recipe calls probably makes about 2 litres finished soup liquid. Ryvr, can you lend your expert eye to the amounts of ingredients and guide us?
    Last edited by Chard; 05-11-2011 at 13:05.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Sure thing. 1.5kg of onion will likely be excessive, instead 2 large spanish onions would give as much flavor with out over powering the goulash. Carmalizing these ahead of time is also a good way of intensifying the flavors and reducing their overall bulk when packing them in.

Because Carrots and Parsnips are going to be the primary starches in that dish I would up the amounts on those to maybe 300-500g each. Or perhaps add potatoes into the mix.

Fresh garlic is light and will add more flavor then ground or dried and will reduce the amount of uncessary sodium that goes hand in hand with powdered anything.

Green peppercorns go a very very long way in a recipe. Dont over purchase on those.

Add to the recipe list some vegetable or beef stock. This can be purchased as a powder, cube or gel. It will add tonnes of flavor and will make this dish go from good to amazing. It will likely add all the salt needed for the dish without actually having to pack in salt, (the gel will do the best job of this), and add a thickening agent like cornstarch or arrowroot, 100g would likely be more then enough.

Final note Spanish paprika is sweet by nature and will be more appealing to a broad range of palates, Hungarian paprika is more spicy and may limit the enjoyment of people that dont like or cant handle spice.

Final portion sizes should average 8oz per person.

Hope that helps

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryvr View Post
    Sure thing. 1.5kg of onion will likely be excessive, instead 2 large spanish onions would give as much flavor with out over powering the goulash. Carmalizing these ahead of time is also a good way of intensifying the flavors and reducing their overall bulk when packing them in.

Because Carrots and Parsnips are going to be the primary starches in that dish I would up the amounts on those to maybe 300-500g each. Or perhaps add potatoes into the mix.

Fresh garlic is light and will add more flavor then ground or dried and will reduce the amount of uncessary sodium that goes hand in hand with powdered anything.

Green peppercorns go a very very long way in a recipe. Dont over purchase on those.

Add to the recipe list some vegetable or beef stock. This can be purchased as a powder, cube or gel. It will add tonnes of flavor and will make this dish go from good to amazing. It will likely add all the salt needed for the dish without actually having to pack in salt, (the gel will do the best job of this), and add a thickening agent like cornstarch or arrowroot, 100g would likely be more then enough.

Final note Spanish paprika is sweet by nature and will be more appealing to a broad range of palates, Hungarian paprika is more spicy and may limit the enjoyment of people that dont like or cant handle spice.

Final portion sizes should average 8oz per person.

Hope that helps

Ryvr
    Ok, if there are only 7 people that are in on the goulash I'll just take care of the veggies (onion, carrot, parsnip, potato, garlic) I'll also bring the spices as I have all those things kicking around (except for paprika, but chardpp said hes bringing that).

So if someone can bring the beef, beef stock, paprika we're all set.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hrm... apprently distortedaxis hasn't logged on HF since 3-27-2011... I think its safe to say he isn't coming.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I can grab some beef broth.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Does anyone have a hunk of cheese cloth so we can tie a little spice ball? All I have is bug netting but I don't think that's food safe...

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    A significant quantity of stewing beef has been purchased and 2lbs of bacon is in the oven!!! Potatoes? Anybody bringing a couple of pounds of potatoes?
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast