Well, it's been an exciting couple of weeks. I've only had a few hours about every other day or two, so the slow progress.
Questions in red, if anyone cares to contribute wisdom/experience to my project
First, I cut the fabric and sewed 14 meters of rolled hem (sides) before rolling the ends. That kind of continued practice makes you better in a hurry. I had the patience to use pins for about the first 50 cm
I went with a standard "Knotty" whipping, and the sides of this very wide hammock were floppy, but I thought they'd tighten up one the ridge line, tie-outs and netting were up.
This baby is wide, only smallish roll hems on the sides of 60 inch fabric. A super-comfortable, super-straight lie, but floppy sides. I might try a Just Jeff whip before considering my whip "permanent".
in one superhuman session, I sewed the entire zipper (one super-long one) onto the hammock side. Per Scott's advice, I went with one continuous zipper that starts and ends in the back (#3 coil) with three sliders. Next project, I might make that two separate zippers, both with 3 sliders. That was a sweat I didn't think I could do as a total novice, but I just went slow and, to my surprise, managed.
She won't win any beauty contests, but should be functional.
Today was an unseasonably warm day and I had some free time to get out there and start the bug net. First, I made up the netting "trapezoid" measurements that were posted back in 2007 by Headchange4U...but when I went to transfer those onto the netting I had, to my horror the measurements would not fit in the intended orientation on the fabric I had . There was enough netting, just not wide enough to start out with the large rectangle that the original HC directions had intended.
As always, when in doubt, I had to go "old school" . With the rig still set up outside with the tie-outs, I laid the netting over the ridge line ("standard" 83%) and proceeded to pin the netting to the other half of the zipper.
I used almost 100 pins to do it, but finally got it done. I was not sure how tight to make the netting as I went along (more on this later).
Test-lie in the thorny lair of death...
I knew it wouldn't be pleasant, but I had to try out the lay with the netting in place. I carefully unzipped one side, skirting about 20 needles and gingerly got inside this Iron Maiden .
I had released the side tie-outs before I got in (long story, I had to in order to get in). The bug netting was slightly droopier on the sides than I had hoped, but perhaps the tie-outs would help that.
Direction of lie...
In my incredibly short history of hammock camping, I've noticed in myself a strong comfort preference of laying feet left/head right, when on my back. This is opposite of most tie-outs I've seen and I had even considered reversing the tie outs, but too late now, as I've pinned (but not sewn) the netting on...and I'm not doing that again.
Has anyone used "reverse" tie-out orientation?
Tonight when I get home, I am either going to:
- sew the netting on as is...or
- re-hang and take the netting in a bit in the floppy parts.
However, I could sew it on w/o grossgrain, do a test hang and then sew another fold in the netting to take up slack if I feel it's still too loose. I could essentially use the grossgrain as a "cap" at the end when I'm satisfied with the taughtness.
Has anyone tried this method?
Some pictures attached. I was too busy/happy to take pictures of the netting in progress today. I had my phone to take pictures, but almost killed myself when I got a call getting into the hammock and suffered multiple impalements on the needles while juggling the phone . After that, I put the phone in the house....
Overall, up to now....
My wife is really amazed. I keep telling her I don't know anything about sewing, I only know how to "put stuff together". This time, I'm using thread instead of screw, nails or tenons.
I'm ecstatic is heck with the results so far, especially for a total sewing novice like me . Many thanks to this forum for the wisdom...
- It's a very comfortable hammock
- The camo rocks
- I'll have bug protection that zips down into a peak bag (not removable)
- I'll have double layer 1.1 oz for xtra bug protection (needed here in Japan) and maybe to allow pad use (though we have UQs on the way).
- Finish bug netting
- Make peak bag for netting
- Sew in permanent tie-outs
- Sew two hammock layers together; upper 50% on left, lower 50% on right
- install 1 -3 velcro attachment points between layers on upper right and lower left for closable pad insertion
Hope to have this baby out this weekend near Mt. Fui...