Thread: Calandered?

Calandered?

Ok so I'm a newb who is looking to make his first hammock. I have spent the last few days sifting through page after page of info, watching videos, and looking for a good place to purchase some fabric. However as I have been looking I have seen a lot of listings that say the ripstop is "Calendared." Anyone care to explain what this means?

Also while I'm making a thread I might as well throw in my other question of what exactly it means when they say "Coated."

I was looking at the "1.1oz Ripstop Nylon - Olive Green" from BWDD

calendered I assumed was the blocking you see in some ripstop. Like the Army's summer ACU's or BDU's.. they have grid lines runnin' through them.

And coated I believe just means it has a Durable Weather Resistant finish..

if you use a DWR coated ripstop then all of the condensation will collect in the bottom of your hammock vs. evaporating through a breathable ripstop. As so the theory goes.

Ok cool. I read some wiki post on Calendering and it made it sound like a bad thing.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL, Several DIYs
    Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Calendared nylon refers to each individual thread being squished or flattened. Mont-Bell uses calendared nylon in their down jackets to assist in down proofing. They've got fancy diagrams about it that I've seen in their catalogs.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Calendared means the fabric passes between two big, heavy, turning cylinders that nearly touch each other, with adjustable pressure. It's like the steam roller that put a smooth finish on roads, but with one one each side pushing against one another.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Scott from BWDD is great to deal with and if you have any questions about his 1.1 ripstop shoot him a PM or an email. He has worked with me on a project in the past and two upcoming ones. He's very knowledgeable about his fabrics.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

• + New Posts