Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

BMBH UQ Question

Just wanted to get some feed back from others out there that have a bridge style hammock about UQ's. I just ordered my BMBH and was wondering how well my 3 season incubator by stormcrow will fit on it or if I'm gonna suffer from some drafting issues.

Also if the incubator will fit it do I need to modify how it will be attached since the construction of the hammock is totally different.

Thanks in advance

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

I would like to add to the above. How do the 3/4 underquilts (Yeti and Crowsnest) work on the bridge hammocks
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Works fine stock with some finagling.

However, Rip and I came up with a nice workaround for attaching his winter Incubator to his BMBH at the OHang this past weekend that involves some slight modding to the shock cord.

There are 4 grosgrain loops on the corners of the Incubator. You attach some lengths of shock cord with some microbiners (or the JRB UQ suspension) to the corner tabs and treat it like a JRB quilt by attaching it to the 4 attachment points on the BMBH. The only downfall to this is that the stock Incubator shockcord is now digging slightly into the head and foot end of the BMBH just by the nature of the design. To solve this, cut the stock UQ suspension and tie dead eyes in them with an overhand knot or figure of eight. You now have a length of suspension running through your left side of your UQ and a length of suspension running through the right side of your UQ. Clip the deadeyes to your microbiners on your UQ so as not to lose them inside the channel and you're set.

If you want to use the UQ with a gathered end hammock, simply bring the dead eyes together on the head end and microbiner together bring the dead eyes together on your foot end and microbiner together and attach to your suspension.

Rip mentioned posting pics when we got back to make this explanation a bit easier to visualize.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    If you could send me a link to those pics that would be very helpful. When you mention cutting the shock cord your only talking about the stuff running head to toe and not the cord that runs shoulder to shoulder at either end of the stormcrow underquilt?
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    tendertoe said it about right, however, yesterday i made a quick change, but have not yet tested it to its full potential.

it still involves cutting the stock incubator - or any single loop uq suspension - as mentioned, giving you the two separate lengths of shockcord along the sides of the quilt. tie deadeyes into the each of the ends, & attach micro biner.

the new test ditches the jrb suspension system or the need to use the grosgrain corner tabs - on the incubator at least -. instead, just clip the micro biner to the newly formed deadeye of shockcord and attach to the metal ring on the corner of the bmbh - where the spreader bar attaches.

creates a true "suspension bridge" and the quilt runs right along the edge of the hmmk. tightening the now separate uq suspension lines will create a tighter seal... and will take a bit of "becking", or fiddling to dial it in.

i will say,,, utilizing the corner tabs on the incubator really does stretch the quilt lengthwise on the bmbh to fit- as described in tendertoes post. the incubator at least has a tendency to want to scrunch towards the middle. so... hyoh per usual, but just another option and ....

YES, it works quite nicely!
    Last edited by rip waverly; 02-22-2011 at 10:29. Reason: speak clearer
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryvr View Post
    If you could send me a link to those pics that would be very helpful. When you mention cutting the shock cord your only talking about the stuff running head to toe and not the cord that runs shoulder to shoulder at either end of the stormcrow underquilt?
    i will try to get some pics... am in the midst of a move.. so its crazy over here.

and no... do not cut the shoulder to shoulder shock cord... just the main suspension running head to foot.

***i did loosen up the shoulder to shoulder shockcord all the way, creates a nice tight fit right along the bmbh
    Last edited by rip waverly; 02-22-2011 at 10:24.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I would like to add to the above. How do the 3/4 underquilts (Yeti and Crowsnest) work on the bridge hammocks
    While it hasn't been tried yet, should work with any single line suspension UQ.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I just run the shock cord over the spreader bar ends, and tie a loop in the shock cord off where needed to properly suspend the quilt.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    I just run the shock cord over the spreader bar ends, and tie a loop in the shock cord off where needed to properly suspend the quilt.
    thats what i did first. just didn't like the way the spreader bars were digging into the shockcord. seemed to create a lot of tension and possible wear with extended use.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Both are very good idea's, I will likely try them both to see which will be a more longterm solution. I can always replace the shock cord after I cut it if I dont like the way it works.

One last question, the incubator tapers differently at either end. Did you find the coverage at you feet and shoulders to be adequate on the Bridge Style setup?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast