TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64

Zippers, no-see-um, and more - Need your help

Just received my package of 8 yards of #3 coil zipper, 8 yards of no-see-um, dual sided pulls, stops, and some grosgrain - and I am ready... ready to scratch my head on where to start.

What is the best approach on apply a zipper (any any sewing foots needed)? Seeing that the edges are already hemmed, it would appear that there is going to be a least 3 stitched along this side (one away from the zipper, and one close to the teeth, right)? Do you use grosgrain on the zipper side of the hammock? I have 7/8" grosgrain which I will attempt to fold in half, and sew.

Next, after this amazing feet of installing a zipper... do you recommend any articles of installing the pulls (one or more on the same zipper), and the stops. I have seen a couple designs where they have placed triangle pockets at the end of the zipper. Is this more for cosemetics, or preventing the pull of the zipper to the bottom.

No-see-um - this stuff is amazing. Fabric appears very stretchy and I was wondering if you have any tips on sewing this fabric. Do you use a certain type of seam? With the mesh nature of it, is stitch length a concern?

Thanks guys - I am hoping to finish my Hennesey DIY and WBBB DIY with your assistance.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I could cobble together a description of how I did these things, but you'll be far better off to look in the sticky section of this forum for RamblinRev's gear making tutorial series.
    I'm pretty sure all of your questions will be answered very efficiently by watching a few of his short videos.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You need to have a zipper foot for your machine. The process of installing the zipper varies upon the application. Sometimes you can just line the hem up with the zipper teeth leaving a small gap to make sure the slider doesn't catch. To install the slider simply run the teeth through the slider slots, similar to the way you would start a separating zipper. It takes some getting used to but it is not difficult. To install the slider when the teeth are already meshed push the teeth into the small end of the slider and pull the fabric apart as you push the slider done. Not hard.... just fussy.

I did a vid on installing a zipper but the quality is really bad. However the talk through has been helpful for some people.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You need to have a zipper foot for your machine. The process of installing the zipper varies upon the application. Sometimes you can just line the hem up with the zipper teeth leaving a small gap to make sure the slider doesn't catch. To install the slider simply run the teeth through the slider slots, similar to the way you would start a separating zipper. It takes some getting used to but it is not difficult. To install the slider when the teeth are already meshed push the teeth into the small end of the slider and pull the fabric apart as you push the slider done. Not hard.... just fussy.

I did a vid on installing a zipper but the quality is really bad. However the talk through has been helpful for some people.
    Thanks Rev, I will have to find that one. I have watched most of them, and don't recall a zipper one.

Typically, do most people put two pulls on their zippers?

Hammock
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I could cobble together a description of how I did these things, but you'll be far better off to look in the sticky section of this forum for RamblinRev's gear making tutorial series.
    I'm pretty sure all of your questions will be answered very efficiently by watching a few of his short videos.
    Thanks - just curious on the edge used when attaching the zipper... is the standard a hemmed edge, and finished grosgrain edge, or raw.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is no "standard". It depends on the application and when the zipper is installed.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I find that my zipper installation is easy with a standard foot on my machine - that's a good thing because I only have a standard zig zag foot... Maybe a zipper foot would be better but this worked for me and I never bought a zipper foot to try.

I start by installing the pulls onto the zipper coil. I then sew the zipper coil onto my roll hemmed ripstop (no grossgrain). I am careful to make sure my RS edge does not cover the teeth to prevent snags. After the RS is attached to the coil I pin the other side of the coil to the roll hemmed edge of my noseeum. By pinning the noseeum to the zipper before I separate the zipper halves I ensure that the zipper will allign after it is sewed to the noseeum. I have tried it with out pinning the noseeum and have had a tendancy to stretch the noseeum as I sewed and ended up with a bunch of extra noseeum at the far end of the hammock. The pins keep everything indexed and prevent me from stretching. This is one of the few things I still pin in advance... Both on the RS and on the noseeum I make 2 stitch lines. The first run I have a "point" of my presser foot on top of the zipper teeth which puts the stitch about a 1/4" from the teeth. The 2nd pass I put the foot against the edge of the zipper and this puts the 2nd stitch line right at the outside edge of the zipper fabric.

All in all the hardest part for me was the stretch of the noseeum. Go slow and keep everything alligned and you'll be fine. Worst case you get to practice with your seam ripper!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thank you Dave for the walk-thru of the zipper installation. I needed that as a confidence builder as I start soon on my first hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I find that my zipper installation is easy with a standard foot on my machine - that's a good thing because I only have a standard zig zag foot... Maybe a zipper foot would be better but this worked for me and I never bought a zipper foot to try.

I start by installing the pulls onto the zipper coil. I then sew the zipper coil onto my roll hemmed ripstop (no grossgrain). I am careful to make sure my RS edge does not cover the teeth to prevent snags. After the RS is attached to the coil I pin the other side of the coil to the roll hemmed edge of my noseeum. By pinning the noseeum to the zipper before I separate the zipper halves I ensure that the zipper will allign after it is sewed to the noseeum. I have tried it with out pinning the noseeum and have had a tendancy to stretch the noseeum as I sewed and ended up with a bunch of extra noseeum at the far end of the hammock. The pins keep everything indexed and prevent me from stretching. This is one of the few things I still pin in advance... Both on the RS and on the noseeum I make 2 stitch lines. The first run I have a "point" of my presser foot on top of the zipper teeth which puts the stitch about a 1/4" from the teeth. The 2nd pass I put the foot against the edge of the zipper and this puts the 2nd stitch line right at the outside edge of the zipper fabric.

All in all the hardest part for me was the stretch of the noseeum. Go slow and keep everything alligned and you'll be fine. Worst case you get to practice with your seam ripper!
    Thanks for your feedback - I was watching Rev's video on zippers, and he sewed the zipper facedown and then rolled the fabric over. Have you tried this following your steps? Rev, thanks again for your videos. Great work.

I have a zipper foot, so I most likely wont need to place the presser foot on the zipper.

BTW - still curious if two pulls are a good rule of thumb?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The reason a zipper foot is preferred is because the edge of it runs right along the outside edge of the teeth or coil. It folds the fabric down better and it is easier to keep the fabric from snagging in the zipper because the stitch line is 1/16 - 1/8" away from the teeth. Less flop to get caught.

A regular foot can be used but it does not produce as good a result IMO.

I laid the zipper face down and turned the fabric because I was making a hem at the same time. The edges lined up with the zipper tape were raw edges. With a finished edge such as you were talking about I would have lined the existing hem with the teeth or coil and simple sewed the zipper on. As I said, the installation process depends on the application.

If you want to be able to open the zipper from both ends/inside and out, then two double tab sliders are required. They face away from each other. You can put two sliders on facing each other and the sliders will meet in the middle but allow either half to open by itself. If you only care about a one way zipper then only one slider is used as two would conflict with each other. It's all about the application.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts