Images

Moving the ridgeline on an HH?

Just curious if anyone has any feedback on how my HH will perform if I untie the ridge line, slip it out of the bug net, re-tie it on the outside of the net, and just put my pad on top of the bug net.

My goal here is to temporarily turn it into an open top hammock post haste.

The weather is COLD this week and I want to take advantage and do some experimenting with insulation but I'm not interested in fighting the hammock every time I get in and out.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I've disassembled (and reassembled!) the end-piece of a HH and recall that the ridgeline is tied with a loop through which some wrap of the main suspension line is passed. So I'm guessing you'd pop the covers, untie the ridgeline at one end, pull it through the other end, pass now on the outside and retie.

Issue #1 (maybe)--- the covers. Depending on where the ridgeline loop was placed, it might now have to be in a different place. The ridgeline now has to be outside the covers, possibly meaning that the length of hammock under the ridgeline is a little longer, in which cause you have a little more sag.

Issue #2 --- is the bugnet the same dimensions or wider than the body??? If it isn't, the first time you flip the hammock and climb in, you'll be stretching or tearing the bugnet.

Perhaps someone else can comment on bugnet dimension...I'm not able to now.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    The width of the bugnet is much smaller than the body of the hammock. Therefore Grizz's #2 issue would be valid. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images
    there is a huge "length" difference as well, bugnet as around 100" whereas the hammock fabric is closer to 120", so the bugnet would need to stretch 20" to account for that. it will surely stretch some, but i doubt you could stretch it that much without causing damage

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    My goal here is to temporarily turn it into an open top hammock post haste.
    Contact the author of post #3 in this thread. 2Q and ZQ are the masters of modifying Hennessey Hammocks to add zippers to the bugnets. They do great work, and you'll love the results!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images

re

I've looked at their zipper mod but I intend to build my own hammock over the winter anyway so I'm not going to invest more in my HH.

I'm really just wanting it for this coming week as well. I can always make do with the hammock in stock form.

I'm not sure I understand the bug net issue.
    If the ridge line remains the same length as or shorter than stock after I move it, there should be enough slack in the hang that the bug net just sits there wadded up under my pad.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I've looked at their zipper mod but I intend to build my own hammock over the winter anyway so I'm not going to invest more in my HH.

I'm really just wanting it for this coming week as well. I can always make do with the hammock in stock form.

I'm not sure I understand the bug net issue.
    If the ridge line remains the same length as or shorter than stock after I move it, there should be enough slack in the hang that the bug net just sits there wadded up under my pad.
    What they are trying to tell you is that if you completely removed the bug net from the hammock and then measured them. The bugnet would be substantially smaller to the point that just putting it under the pad would make a large gap between the net and the hammock body. As a result the bug net would attempt to hold your weight and fail (you would be lucky if the netting can hold more than 50-60 pounds probably) dropping you to the hammock's actual body. The sudden drop/impact will not only do permanent damage to the bugnet, it will be highly uncomfortable and depending on the thickness of the hammock body the sudden impact could rip that as well. Much the same way that a dam can hold back a full lack but if even 1/4 of its contents hit it suddenly when the lake was empty it will collapse... see Katrina for data if you want (water levels were under what the levies were made for in most areas... but the sudden surges from the ones that weren't took out ones that could have taken that water if it was slowly built up.

Images

re

Not trying to be a pain guys, really I'm not, but I think I might have to try this to believe it.

I see what you're saying now, BUT if the bug net is small enough to pull tight before it meets the curve of the hammock's sag when pushed down, then how is it we can use a HH like a chair without breaking the bug net?

I can sit on top of the hammock and then twist and lay down in it on top of the bug net and it ends up kind of wadded up some under me, not drawn tight. The ridge line makes this a bit awkward though as gets pushed to one side and wants to pull towards the center where it should be and so I think I might get dumped if I tried to sleep on top like this. And if it makes any difference, at the time I tried this, I didn't know about the 15-30 degree ideal sag. I use figure 9's and pull the suspension and ridge line very tight.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

Arrow I think...

...that you are inviting trouble, either immediate or longer-term, if you do this. (Purely IMHO)

I never liked the idea of sitting on the bug net. Too delicate.

If you try it and it works like gangbusters, then we all will have learned something.

Good luck.

• + New Posts