DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I am taking a summer burrow and a summer incubator for my start on the AT in two weeks, and have no worries at all about being comfortable even if it does get into the 20's, which it probably will in the Smokies.

Hammock
    GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I'm intersted in these summer burrow/phoenix steups as well. I have a custom summer burrow in the making right now and am looking to purchase mt first UQ soon. Not sure if I should go with a summer or 3 season. Most of my camping will be in the summer range. I plan on starting an AT thru next year and would be using this setup. fin, i see you chose a summer setup. Are you wearing anything to supplement?

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I debated this same question when I ordered my 3-Season Incubator & Burrow set. I really wanted just one set to get me from spring to fall. After getting input from HF members & from Adam, I decided to go 3-Season set instead of Summer set. In my case, since I'm not a hiker, I don't carry any supplemental pads, and don't really like to use pads in the hammock. I figure I can unsnap & open up the Burrow, and vent the Incubator when it's warmer. Plus pare down the clothing. If I use this set this summer and find it uncomfortably warm, I might consider a Summer Phoenix UQ & still use the 3-Season Burrow??????
    KJ

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Nice fin, stormcrow was talking about your thru hike and I'm excited for you. I'm sure you'll be fine pushing the limits. Worst case just stay in a shelter with uq and tq on top. Let me know how they work in 6 months or so, haha. Or if you have a journal, post a link.

Cataraftgirl, I'm sure the extra insulation is worth it. Especially if you're not carrying it long distance. I've heard before under insulation is more important to top.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akers07300ex View Post
    fin, i see you chose a summer setup. Are you wearing anything to supplement?
    Only my silk long johns. If it gets really cold, I'll just wear my stinky hiker pants to bed. I'm trying to get sub-10 lbs base weight to start, and if I need to add, I will have it sent in a mail drop. At most, I would have to put up with a week of cold, and over 6 months a week will be a distant memory. If I can get to sub-10 and feel the need based on long term forecasts, I may add my 1.0 Under Armour base layer. Or just have it ready to go in a mail drop.

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Nice fin, stormcrow was talking about your thru hike and I'm excited for you. I'm sure you'll be fine pushing the limits. Worst case just stay in a shelter with uq and tq on top. Let me know how they work in 6 months or so, haha. Or if you have a journal, post a link.
    No shelters for me. It will still be warmer in my hammock than laying on a wood floor. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I'm no newb, you know. I will be posting a link to my blog in the members only section just before we hit the trail. Looking at the 21st, give or take a day or two. I have some new gear to build before I hit the trail, and a little more tweaking to do. Just about everything I have except my pack and my clothes will be handmade.

HammockGear's quilts are conservatively rated. Of course, everyone sleeps differently, and everyone has a different comfort threshold for what they are willing to deal with. Heck, if I get cold, I'll just get up and start hiking! But I do not expect that to happen, even into the 20's with my summer setup.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well Godspeed to you Fin, enjoy your journey. Look foreward to reasing up on you and seeing how your gear works for you.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post

HammockGear's quilts are conservatively rated. Of course, everyone sleeps differently, and everyone has a different comfort threshold for what they are willing to deal with. Heck, if I get cold, I'll just get up and start hiking! But I do not expect that to happen, even into the 20's with my summer setup.
    While it is true that we are conservative when we rate our quilts, pushing a summer set to the 20's is definitely pushing it. We will be putting a couple of extra oz of down in his quilt and crossing our fingers that temps stay in the 30's.... I will be joining him with a similar setup for a quite a few miles in the lower states too. I will be using a summer Phoenix and Burrow set. I think I will have a little over stuff in the underquilt but not in the top quilt.

Gear testing is a rough part of the job but someone has to do it...

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Haha, well enjoy that gear testing and let us know how it does. You're about due for a good long hike from how busy I've heard you've been.

When you overstuff I assume that's simply putting more down in the quilt without increasing baffle height? Is that correct? So 4oz overfill in the summer phoenix wouldn't be a 3 season? Dumb questions but one must learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Haha, well enjoy that gear testing and let us know how it does. You're about due for a good long hike from how busy I've heard you've been.

When you overstuff I assume that's simply putting more down in the quilt without increasing baffle height? Is that correct? So 4oz overfill in the summer phoenix wouldn't be a 3 season? Dumb questions but one must learn.
    Nope very smart question. I am a teacher and their is no such thing. Adding overfill does not turn a summer quilt into a 3 season quilt. It allows one to get a bit lower temps with the intended quilt. That's why Adam mentions that 20's in a summer quilt is really pushing it. Adding xtra fill to a summer quilt fills the baffles out more but does not necessarily increase loft because the baffles are the same size. Adding overfill to a quilt means keeping the baffles the same and design the same just putting more down in it. Hope that makes sense and hope I got it right.

But adding to much down is counter productive but some one else is going to have to explain that one. I still don't quite get it.

and Good luck on your hike thru hike fin. And Adam it is tough testing gear, I feel your pain Have fun on your hike guys.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks lazy river, that's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. I have read on a bpl article about down jackets that down does not lose any insulation value when compressed up to 2.5 times. True or not no clue, but I like loft

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast