Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Bridge suspension question

I am making a bridge hammock and I want to use 7/64" amsteel in the suspension arc channels (instead of 1/2" webbing). I like the idea of burying loops in each end of the amsteel and attaching the spreader bars and end suspension to the amsteel loop ends.

However, I can't figure out how to attach the hammock body to the amsteel running thru the suspension arc channels (without sewing them together) to keep the hammock fabric taut.

Anybody willing to share their method?

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    when i did mine i marked off my amsteel and put it trough the loop and made my burry .... then i sewed the amsteel right after the burry so it would not slip out since you can't dbl loop it like a burry should be
    i hope that came out right

watch grizz's video he has on here in the video section on how he modded a BMBH...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

I can't figure out how to attach the hammock body to the amsteel running thru the suspension arc channels (without sewing them together) to keep the hammock fabric taut

Make your suspension ropes with fixed-eye brummel splices in each end of the correct length to fit your arc length. Fold the hammock material over the cord and using the zipper foot sew as close to the the cord as possible. Then to keep the hammock from sliding on the rope I sewed the entire length of the rope.

Hangnout has an elegant solution for attaching spreader bars that doesnt require any loops.

Hope that makes sense

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Good information

G.L.P. I watched the BMBH video by Professor Hammock and there is a gold mine of end suspension information there.

KenDen I found Hangnout's thread (with pictures!) and I agree that his spreader bar attachment solution is very clever. I do not have access to a metal lathe, but I might be able to cut off a short pole section and JB Weld a tent pole insert into it and then drill out an amsteel passage hole.

I was hoping not to have to sew the amsteel into the suspension arc channels, but it looks like that is the only way.

Did you run into any problems sewing thru the amsteel? Are there any disadvantages using amsteel in the suspension arcs? Are you happy with the results?

Thanks.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    I was hoping not to have to sew the amsteel into the suspension arc channels, but it looks like that is the only way.
    Not the only way.

The challenge is to keep the edge of the hammock body from sliding back
    along the cord towards the center when under load.

Here's a photo that shows one thing I did.

What's going on here is that the cord emerges from the channel and is tied to a loop of webbing that I sewed at the mouth of the channel. The hammock is constrained from sliding away from the corner by that attachment.

This was done before I learned mad splicing skillz and I've got some half formed ideas about how to make the edge of the hammock corner jam at the bottom of a fixed eye loop. But haven't done it yet, might just be "a bit of undigested beef, a blob of mustard, a crumb of cheese".
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

The amsteel is slippery. I have not found a better way than sewing it to the fabric. It flattens real well.
    I like the amsteel - less bulk and weight. It offers more options for the suspension triangle and spreaders. Probably the biggest disavantage I can think of is it can be uncomfortable to your legs if you are sitting crossways in the hammock.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Stopper knot for holding hammock body?

Professor Hammock I saw that photo on your top load/bridge hammock tutorial, but I could not sort it out before. Thank you for explaining it to me. Makes sense now. I read in a thread by TeeDee that he hangs his underquilts, etc from the end loops by jamming lines into them. I could bar tack a line to the corner of the hammock body (like you did) and then tie some kind of adjustable locking stopper knot (Soloman Bar?) and use it to cinch the hammock fabric corner tight. I will have to experiment. That seems like a lot of pressure on those bar tacks though - have you experienced any thread pullouts or tears? Thanks for sharing your ideas, we appreciate you out here in Webville!

Kenden It sounds like the only time the amsteel may be a bother is getting in or out of the hammock. Small price to pay to save weight. Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts