DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's been alot said for the reasons to choose a shorter quilt over a full one. But let me give you a reason to choose a full quilt over a short one. If, the weather unexpectedly gets too cold for being in your hammock, you could go to ground(god forbid) and use the underquilt as a second layer of insulation over your top quilt/sleeping bag. A buddy of mine had to do that on his AT trip, and he was glad he had the extra insulation in the shelter. Seems an arctic wave plunged temps down to 4 degrees in April. He told me that he was the only one warm and cozy in the shelter that night.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Good point. Not sure I'm much help but i solved my issue by getting one of each! Full goes out with me the colder it is, the 3/4 for anything else.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    i consider myself a cold sleeper, and have done well with mixed bottom insulation (torso quilt with seperate pad for the legs)

I always wonder why so many people feel like they will be cold if not using a full length quilt.

A torso quilt + leg pad= full length bottom insulation.

There are folks out there using nothing but closed cell foam bottom insulation because it has THE best warmth to weight ratio avail. Even better than down (0deg ccf will be lighter than 0deg full length uq)

lilricky, was your friend carrying a full length pad and an underquilt? what did he use for bottom insulation on the ground that kept him so warm? if you goto ground and you have nothing with you but a full length uq as bottom insulation, you might as well stay in the hammock.

If using torso uq and decent size leg pad (in winter for instance), if it were to drop well below your uq rating, you have multiple options (because mixed bottom insulation is more versatile than a full length uq).

You could stack your leg pad, and your torso underquilt together giving you PLENTY of torso insulation, and then jerry-rig something for your legs (still better than going to ground)

If you do decide to go to ground, you have a good sized leg pad to lay on, most folks carrying a full length quilt will have a tiny sit pad at best.

I went full length because I don't sleep in a straight line all night.. I toss and turn.. I especially like to move my legs around and pretty much NEVER sleep with them in a straight line.. So for less hassle and the fact I really only have cash to throw at 1 UQ.. it'd be nice to have a bunch but we're in a recession I went with tthe full length. I've since slept in one since ordering one (it's not mine but the same one I ordered) and it accomodated my sleeping style perfectly. Had never been so comfortable outside.. especially as cold as it was.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With the right UQ and TQ there is no need to go for more than a 2/3 UQ. I stay toasty at zero with it and a 20"x12" 1/2" foam pad that doubles as a back cushion in my pack. With this, the foot box in the TQ is more than enough. In the warmer weather I use a 1/4" pad. Light weight and little bulk are very important to me.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Many who use torso length UQ also use half pads or larger than normal sit pads to ensure the legs and feet are protected... There was a survey on this a couple years back and the result were eye opening on the size of the pads...When coupled with the UQ most easily exceeded full length UQ weight.

By the same token minimalists would argue they can put their pack under the legs... It can be done... Question is it worth the hassle to you for the extra gear in the hammock.

A significant point that is lost on many, is that when using the pad on a planned basis with the fractional UQ ones reserve is commited from the start...Point, most carry a sit pad, say 10x 14 or 10x20 as routine to use on breaks, on logs, rocks or picnic tables... the fractional agrument says use it in your system...Fair...but...

When adverse weather drops 20* and you are beyond your planned system the full length UQ user can slip the pad under the butt (normal cold invasion point for Gathered End hammocks) then so back to sleep with another 20* capability where it is needed most.

As a vendor who makes and sell both fractional and full length UQ I'm neutral to customer preference...But FWIW in our experiance, full UQ out sell fractional UQ by a huge margin.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I'm 6'3''. I prefer to carry a small footpad - Thermarest Lite Seat in all seasons because it packs to nothing and I don't have the back panel sleeve for a larger footpad to be slipped into for structure.

So, being a taller guy, a 2/3 underquilt stops just above my knees and my footpad does not start till about low/mid-calf. That leaves from my low/mid-thigh to my low/mid-calf with only compressed TQ footbox down insulating it.

Now, this is fine down to about 30*. Anything colder than that and I get cold. So I chose to go with a winter full length UQ to get around this.

I prefer to carry a little larger stuffed quilt than a larger piece of ccf that doesn't really have a place in my current pack system.

So a 2/3 quilt is my go to in anything 30* warmer for smaller pack weight and volume management, a full length is my go to 30* and below for the ability to not to have to use a larger footpad and have a concise unit squished and packed.

As always, HYOH-YMMV

Images
    Great points, Pan! Made me think. My 3/4 UQ and CCF pad weigh the same as my full UQ. Didn't realize that.

For me, since my pad serves as the frame for my pack, the 3/4 UQ works very well. I've got to put the pad to more use than with the pack, else it didn't make sense for me to use this pack/pad set up.

My TQ - the wonderful JRB No Sniveler - is such an awesome multi-use item that I prefere as a TQ/serape and wanted something else for UQ.

When I set up camp my 3/4 UQ and pad are in place, and I hang around in my serape that becomes my TQ when I "hit the hammock".

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    A significant point that is lost on many, is that when using the pad on a planned basis with the fractional UQ ones reserve is commited from the start...Point, most carry a sit pad, say 10x 14 or 10x20 as routine to use on breaks, on logs, rocks or picnic tables... the fractional agrument says use it in your system...Fair...but...

When adverse weather drops 20* and you are beyond your planned system the full length UQ user can slip the pad under the butt (normal cold invasion point for Gathered End hammocks) then so back to sleep with another 20* capability where it is needed most.
    Pan
    I guess this is an accurate analysis. But in my case, I typically have additional gear (extra socks or clothing) that can also serve as under the butt extra insulation. Honestly, even the JRB down sleeves work in a pinch

20* cushion maintained...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I seem to be fine in my 2/3 set up. To be honest my system is definitely more compact and lighter than full length quilts I've used.

With the 3 season versions I've gotten down to 27*F before getting a cool back.

With the winter version I got down to 3*F before getting cool.

But being short has its advantages I suppose since my system covers my entire body.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast