Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY

Poncho liner and IX insulation

I made an UQ out of a poncho liner. I was hoping for a warm weather/in the house UQ. It is just a little too breathable. It is not quit as warm as I wanted. I just ordered 3 yards of IX to line the inside of the poncho liner. My plan is to cut the IX to fit and sew just at the edges. Will that be enough or will I have to attach it in the middle also. I should have a piece left of the IX about 40 X 60 for a second layer that can be used only when needed. I am not sure how I will keep it from moving around. Any suggestion on the whole project?

Images
    There's a sticky under the DIY forum: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881

That explains exactly what you are doing. Just substitute the words "shell" for "poncho liner"

Note: I, and I'm sure others, would be very interested to see pics of this. If possible the before, during/process, and after.

Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY
    This is my inside set up. I put a picture of how I attach to the wall and how I made my UQ. I removed the binding then cut the PL down to the size and shape I thought I would need. I was out of town so I had to guess. Since then I had to ad a few darts. I then re-used the binding and added loops for the suspension. I have tried for a while to figure a way to adjust the tension of the UQ. This is my last solution. I used a figure 9. I can change it without getting out of the hammock with one hand.

The IX should come today so I will start working on it. Thanks for the sticky it has made me change one thing already.

For full dis closer I am 47 years old but my mom and mother in law still help me with my sewing. I do not have the skill to do any of this by myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    This is exactly what I did with my UQ. I used the method Joe Cross linked and used a poncho liner for the shell. The poncho liner does add some weight and bulk but I've stayed very warm in the teens and was OK in the single digits. YMMV, but I've been happy with mine.

Some other things I did different was added draft tubes at each end and I also attach mine to the ridgeline rather than the suspension to hold it better similar to what a triangle thingie would do. Check out here to see how they work.
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1633323

With those two mods, it's virtually impossible to have gaps.

Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY
    It sounds like you use three layers. I am working on a UQ for summer. 50-80 degrees. One or two layers?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a no-sew PL UQ. I pin a single layer of IX in the middle (safety pin at each corner) and have taken it into the mid-40's comfortably.

If you have a second layer, I'd make it removable. I'd follow the pattern in the sticky as suggested before and use it on the outside of the poncho liner...

I don't think you really need to put a nylon cover on it, but the scrim (covering) on the IX will eventually fuzz-up. On humid nights, you might find the IX isn't breathable enough.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY
    So put the IX on the outside of the pl?

So when you say you went into the 40 what did you have on top? I have heard people say a poncho liner has taken them into the 40 but mine won't go to low 60 with out help.

Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY
    I started the project. I decided to cut the IX to fit the inside of the PL. Then I cut a nylon cover. My plan is to leave the ends open so I could add a second layer. If all goes well I think I will be able to use it IX inside or flip it over and use it outside. I hope to start sewing today.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Here is how I made my IX UQ, and a diagram of the suspension.
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-camping-myog/
    I started with Scott's design, but made a few alterations that I'm pleased with.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts