Would this work?

So I just thought of something and haven't had a chance to test it. I'm going to be using a top loader this weekend and to be honest, I'm worried about the low temps. Most of us Texans don't do to well in cold temps. Especially when it goes from almost 70 one day to 40 the next! Anyway, I was wondering if I would be able to wrap my hammock with my sleeping bag and zip it up. I'm 5'10 and ~155 lbs. I'm clueless here but just thought it might be worth a shot. What am I not considering in my hasteness...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's been done before. Check out Jeff's site for some pics, bottom of the page.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    It will work fine if the bag is plenty big. The top edge of the hammock will tend to hold the top of the bag above you by an inch or 4, depending on the hammock. So your bag will have to be big enough to cover that extra volume. Also, your bag will not be as warm on top because of this air space, so you will need a light blanket or fleece or something to fill the space- but once you do that you will probably be even warmer on top than you would have been on the ground.

Most importantly, your bag will have to be long enough so that you can have a few inches( really, 6" minimum IMO ) between the bottom of the hammock and the sleeping bag. Because your hammock will sag/stretch quite a bit more, when you get in, than your bag. And a new hammock might stretch a good bit over night. Thus without adequate room, you will crush the loft of your bag on the bottom. But, you could always slip a CCF pad in there!

But if you can deal with all of the above, you should be toasty! But don't you have a CCF pad ( or 2 ) to use? As long as you find a way to stay on the pad, you should be plenty warm on top of a CCF pad, or a Thermarest pad. Though it needs to be wide for your shoulders. Some folks glue pads together in a "T" shape.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-17-2008 at 12:34.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    make sure it works before heading down the trail w/ it though.
    if you can't zip the sleeping bag around the hammock w/ the hammock occupied/weighted, then you should be able to find a way to attach the sleeping bag to the hammock like an under quilt.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I did that a lot of times at first with an old mummy bag. I sewed a hole in the bottom so that I could fish the hammock thru, and I used the neck cord of the mummy bag to close off the air space by my head. I also put my rain jacket at my feet to close off the small hole on the foot end. It worked well for what it was, but now my quilt system is so much better and easier. I also recommend some kind of light blanket/fleece. Check out my pics to see an example of it.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    Dwight, were you able to adjust the sag/slack in the bag enough to avoid compressing the down ( or synthetic?) under the hammock?

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Dwight, were you able to adjust the sag/slack in the bag enough to avoid compressing the down ( or synthetic?) under the hammock?
    Sure, I never never had it compress under me, only when I wanted to stretch out and I compressed the sides. Thats the down side to sliding the bag over the hammock, you are restricted by the size of your bag.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

I also use a sleeping bag over my hammock but I use a rectangle bag (I do not like the mummy's tapered legs)... judging by the pics and discussion there are numerous alternative (that seem to be easier) but this DOES work.

Good luck.

PS. Anyone know if a bugnet adds some degree of warmth to a hammock? It is reasonable to believe that if a bugnet CAN add to condensation there is a temperature degree difference. Any thoughts?
    "Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." Henry David Thoreau's Walden

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by therumpus View Post
    PS. Anyone know if a bugnet adds some degree of warmth to a hammock? It is reasonable to believe that if a bugnet CAN add to condensation there is a temperature degree difference. Any thoughts?
    Yes it does. I've observed as much as a 4 degree difference between outside the hammock and inside. I use a thermometer with a wired sensor that can be placed outside of the hammock so I can get readings on both sides of the hammock wall. Haven't had any problems with condensation, but the conditions haven't been 'just right' yet either.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts