Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Amsteel Deal

Images
    http://www.yatesgear.com/climbing/slings/index.htm

Scrow down to where it says webbing and slings.

11mm & 14mm Dyneema Webbing: "Dyneema" webbing consists of a blend of Dyneema and Nylon fibers woven together to form a webbing that has superior properties. The bonus of Dyneema fiber is that it is stronger, lighter and absorbs less water compared to Nylon. The down side of Dyneema is that it melts at a much lower temperature than Nylon. We have developed an exclusive weave pattern for our 11mm and 14mm Dyneema webbing that maximizes the benefits of both fibers. Our weave pattern has been shown to be superior in abrasion and snagging tests. Our Unique Nylon edge weave eliminates Dyneema fibers snagging on crystals and �pulling� from the webbing!
    Runner Strength 11mm webbing: 22kN.

Runner Strength 14mm webbing: 22kN.

Dyneema
    ITEM# 710 $ .85/ft
    11/16"
    ITEM# 720 $ .40/ft
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I do plan of getting some of the Amsteel Blue 7/64 and try it out. It seems to be the best choice out of everything that I looked at. I will have to look into ways of dealing with the slipping garda hitch.
    The garda hitch with bare amsteel slips because of the coating and also because it flattens out in the rings without a cover. As a result the garda hitch really is not holding anything and your back up knots are doing the work. Greggg3 suggested another hitch (munter?) that works with one ring and probably is a better choice with bare amsteel. I covered some 7/64" amsteel with paracord cover and it holds well. The cover helps the amsteel hold the round shaping and grips allowing the garda hitch to work. I had been using 2.8 spyderline but after a while the cover started tearing up with the garda hitch. I am going to try the 3.8 spyderline next time because I think the garda hitch works better with the larger sizes.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    The garda hitch with bare amsteel slips because of the coating and also because it flattens out in the rings without a cover. As a result the garda hitch really is not holding anything and your back up knots are doing the work. Greggg3 suggested another hitch (munter?) that works with one ring and probably is a better choice with bare amsteel. I covered some 7/64" amsteel with paracord cover and it holds well. The cover helps the amsteel hold the round shaping and grips allowing the garda hitch to work. I had been using 2.8 spyderline but after a while the cover started tearing up with the garda hitch. I am going to try the 3.8 spyderline next time because I think the garda hitch works better with the larger sizes.
    I made a mistake when I said that I was gonna use the 7/64 Amsteel Blue (AB). What I meant to say is I want to get the 1/8" AB, with the 2500lbs breaking strength (7/64 is 1600 lbs breaking strength). The problem is that nobody sells the 1/8" that I could find. I found a few places that sell the 7/64, but with most places 1/4" is the smallest size they offer. I contacted Samson as well as a few other places that sell the AB to see if they offer the 1/8". If I can't find the AB in the 1/8" I will settle for the more expensive Validator-12 in the 3mm size.

As far as holding a garda hitch, I am willing to try the 1/8" and see what happens. Maybe the thicker single braid will hold the hitch better. Who knows. You say you used paracord to make a sheath for the single braid you used. During my research into cordage, one company sold a Kevlar sleeve that slid up and down a single braid line and protected it from abrasion. Maybe something like that positioned in the ring buckles would keep the single braid line from slipping.

I am also have an idea in my head about a new type of suspension using webbing as a tree hugger, one single ring per side instead of 2 (or maybe no rings at all), and a modified truckers hitch. We'll see.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am also have an idea in my head about a new type of suspension using webbing as a tree hugger, one single ring per side instead of 2 (or maybe no rings at all), and a modified truckers hitch. We'll see.
    I use WBG's idea of using a sheetbend to attach the rope to the webbing. You can use one ring with the bare spectra with a munter hitch that Greggg3 suggested.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    That sounds like the suspension idea that Grizz pointed me to. Maybe Grizz still knows the link? The only suspension I use. Tried the rings and found the method he linked me to to be as simple and convenient. Less weight and less bulk.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I looked up the Munter hitch and it's listed as a belay hitch. Would that be suitable for hanging a hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet
    That sounds like the suspension idea that Grizz pointed me to. Maybe Grizz still knows the link? The only suspension I use. Tried the rings and found the method he linked me to to be as simple and convenient. Less weight and less bulk.
    Less weight is what I'm shooting for.

I would like to see what Grizz is talking about. Doctari uses a system (or he did when I went to the RRG with him) that is kinda what I am thinking about trying.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I looked up the Munter hitch and it's listed as a belay hitch. Would that be suitable for hanging a hammock?

Less weight is what I'm shooting for.

I would like to see what Grizz is talking about. Doctari uses a system (or he did when I went to the RRG with him) that is kinda what I am thinking about trying.
    I'll search back and see if I can find the link.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Okay found it - it pretty easy since It was back when I first joined:

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Discussion on another site is one place.
    http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2378

At this site it is the thread on the figure-9's, which I see by your posts that you have found.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Okay found it - it pretty easy since It was back when I first joined:
    Good, I was scrambling around hikehq.net looking for it myself, I remembered that TeeDee had posted about it.

On the link you just provided, it is the "carbiner hitch", except that he later suggested using an SMC ring, which is what I use.

It is an exercise in simplicity.
    1. cord from hammock to be hitched to the webbing around the tree.
    2. webbing goes around the tree any way you like, for this hitch the key thing is that there is a carbiner or ring at the end(s) of the webbing, and the cord from hammock passes through it.
    3. you use a clove hitch or lark's head to attach an SMC ring on the cord, up near the tree.
    4. after the cord passes through the webbing's carbiner the first time, you pass it back to the SMC ring hitched onto the cord, then back to the webbing's carbiner, perhaps back to the SMC ring again. The SMC ring is playing the role of the loop in a trucker's hitch.
    5. Tie off the loose end with one or two half-hitches.

I typically run the cord between ring and biner 2-3 times, and the mechanical downgrading of the tension on the loose end let's me tie it off with a single slippery half hitch (through which bight I pass the loose end without tightening, Just In Case).

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As Grizz said.

I altered the method in the link. He seems to be saying to use the carabiner hitch on both ends of the hammock.

I use the carabiner hitch on only one end and a plain SMC ring hitched to the tree hugger ends on the other end since I only need the carabiner hitch on one end to adjust centering the combined ridge line and suspension and pulling tight under load.

This also makes it a little lighter than his analysis by the weight of 1 or 2 carabiners.

Really like his carabiner hitch and combined ridge line and suspension - light, very little bulk so packs away easily and easy to use.
    Last edited by TiredFeet; 02-17-2008 at 21:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast