View Poll Results: When on the trail and hanging, do you prefer to be?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • by yourself and on your own?

39 36.11%
  • with another hanger?

56 51.85%
  • with a group of hangers?

24 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Brammage View Post
    That's good advise. Cost verses longevity.
    I went through three backpacks, four pairs of blister causing shoes, two tents, and heck if I didn't learn the hard way to figure it out and buy ONCE, instead of waffling around with the cheap junk.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I went through three backpacks, four pairs of blister causing shoes, two tents, and heck if I didn't learn the hard way to figure it out and buy ONCE, instead of waffling around with the cheap junk.
    Gear may change but the above statement does not.

An old horse rancher told me this about saddles, and it holds true with most gear. When I asked him about the difference in two saddles, he looked at them and the prices and told me to get the one that cost 20 bucks more, and simply said, "You'll ride all day long on that extra 20."
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Well, I think I'm off to an awesome start. I received my Warbonnet Blackbird today in the mail. And the pleasant surprise was, I got the MahambaJamba tarp in BLACK! I also ordered a couple of carabiners and some bright yellow shockcord. Soooo, I'm set for a hang. I'll need a pad of course. I'm considering that Z pad by thermorest to get started. And I'll keep researching underquilts for now. WhoooHooooo!
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Skimmed the thread.. may have already been stated but insulation is important. How many ultra lighters are out there sleeping under a $50-$80 tarp inside a $300 down 30 degree sleeping bag?

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    You can hammock cheaply, but it weighs more. A $10 tarp, a $20 hammock, a $10 WW roll, and a sleeping bag.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

107.5% huh?

35%+ 50%+ 22.50%= 107.5% It's me right, I'm missing something am I not.

Uh uh! Otherwise this would be called Underquilt Forums! lol. Got to get up perty early to fool an Okie! (might of worked on a texan though). lol.
    On the other hand, this former Texan has spent just $24 on hammock 'accessories'. I bought an Oware pad at the same time I got my Hennessy and have been perfectly happy, and totally comfortable, with the stock set up. No upgraded tarps, no underquilts, etc., for foul weather into the mid-/low-20's.

Uhmm...not counting the snakeskins for the hammock and pegs for the tarp.

FB

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    35%+ 50%+ 22.50%= 107.5% It's me right, I'm missing something am I not.
    You can vote for more than one option, so there are more votes than voters. Kind of like Florida.

I bought my first hammock in December when Hennessy had their buy one, get a free one, both with snake skins deal. They upgraded me to an Expedition side zip since they were out of Scouts when I ordered. I use the ULBPA and like it a lot, but I'm wanting to venture into lighter territory. Right now on my mind is a GT Nano 7 with whoopies, straps, and toggles...a Papa Smurf bugnet, and perhaps a Warbonnet Edge or Maccat Standard. I want a smallish tarp that can still weather some pretty good rain. If the forecast is clear, I'll just take my poncho tarp with me and string it up if things turn wet. I slept under it two weekends ago, and it did rain, and everything was fine. It wasn't a downpour though. I'd really like the tarp in Spinn, but I don't think almost doubling the price is worth a couple ounces saved on such a small and light tarp already. I definitely do agree though that getting quality gear is paramount, even if it is at a premium price. Like someone said earlier, spread that cost over the years used and you'll definitely see that it was a wise investment, and cheaper than buying two or three of the same type product over time.
    Visualize whirled peas.

I have to agree with a down top and under quilt. I have both a winter and summer jrb quilt and for the money, I dont think they can be beaten.

Had I have not already had these, I would have gotten the top quilt from warbonnett. I like the dimensions of the long.

I can say with personal experience I think the JRB quilts can / should have an extra once or two put in them. I had both mine overstuffed. This is just my opinion and having slept out this winter I can say I am glad I did. For the record I sleep cold and others may not need any down, I suppose thats why they sell it both ways.

You can buy lighter quilts with more down, but if you think what you have now is expensive, just wait till you see a custom cuban quilt!

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, I think I'm off to an awesome start. I received my Warbonnet Blackbird today in the mail. And the pleasant surprise was, I got the MahambaJamba tarp in BLACK! I also ordered a couple of carabiners and some bright yellow shockcord. Soooo, I'm set for a hang. I'll need a pad of course. I'm considering that Z pad by thermorest to get started. And I'll keep researching underquilts for now. WhoooHooooo!
    Love to see the pictures of the black and gold tarp

Made my first top quilt - Ray Way black and gold. Love the colors, but the synthetic not as much. Doesn't really hug you the way down does. Needless to say, JRB Hudson River is in the mail. . .

Gotta' love the addiction!

SN

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234