I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I get the "look" from family and friends. But to them I have always been a little "to the left". When I get into something I try and really get into it and find out if the thrill runs its course or does it root deeply and become part of my positive living experience. If your gonna do it .... over do it!
    My wish is that everyone gets something in their life that keeps them dreaming. We need that as kids but really need it as adults!
    My wife and daughter understand my passions. Obsessions hurt people but passions sometimes make other envious of the time you take to enrich your life. And fun stuff costs you money to do..... It ain't all about making moola.
    Fun experiences add enrichment your soul and that is priceless.
    Thats all,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images

aluminum

my family, friends, work all think im a few bricks shy. setting up my hammock in my friends back yard (working with him till i leave on thru) testing under quilts and stuff. one neighbor said it is nice you hire the homeless, but isnt the garage warmer? the other day we took down a 12' long aluminum antena. i just stood there looking at the tubing, square stock, wire, aluminum nuts and bolts. Boss walked up and said "OK, what are we building tonite?"

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I don'thave anything to add but to say that I am in the same group as everyone else here. Not just with hammocking, but almost everything I do. When I drag a new fireboard in to start the fireplace my wife just gives me the sideways look, you know the one; or when I challenge my sons to build a fire in the fireplace with only a single match, rebuild the alky stove (again), have topo maps spread all over the living room, dining room and kitchen floor, pulling old servos out of old computers for...well, I'm not sure what for, but I think I will need them sometime in the future! The list goes on and on.

The most recent one: Why do you need wheels on the boat agin?

For rolling it across the ground, obviously !
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    My wife sleeps in my old HH Expedition when we camp. Guess I'm just lucky after reading most of these posts. She only complains about two things: cold weather and having to use my hand me down gear. That being said-pretty much everyone else that I tell about camping thinks I've lost it.

Images
    I think my family and friends finally are realizing the way I am and stop giving me such a look each time. I am finally getting less of the "are you ever going to get a real job question" and more of the "so what's the next adventure on the list". I have a couple projects on the DIY list when the sewing machine comes back out that are not hammocking/gear related. That seems to do away with the strange looks for that.

I have a theory that "normal" people don't go in the woods this time or year. All the people I met out for at least an overnight from somewhere in November on were a little off, in a good way. The people that only go out once or twice a year don't go out when it's cold. The really interesting people that are great to talk to do.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Oh, they all think I'm nuts. I have lots of strange hobbies. It's not uncommon for people to ask me to sharpen my knives more quietly in the middle of the night because it keeps them awake.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    Oh, they all think I'm nuts. I have lots of strange hobbies. It's not uncommon for people to ask me to sharpen my knives more quietly in the middle of the night because it keeps them awake.
    remind me never to play poker with you

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    Been there on that, a lot!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    in a nutshell.....nuts..
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Speaking of this thread... I was in an outfitters yesterday, looking for trekking poles for me and my boy (kids Leki poles for $19.99 ). While I was there I asked the owner if he needed a new Northface Crestone womens pack (my wife used it once, and then gave up), he told me that they do consignment 60/40 . So I told my wife this and she says "If you would have got me interested in hiking while we were dating, I might not be in the shape that I am in today, and I would go hiking with you."

So it is my fault that she is out of shape, and it is my fault that she doesn't like hiking . After 6 years of marriage I guess I found out that what all other men were telling me is true "everything is my fault." And she says I'm nuts. hahaha
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast