Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Finally caved and bought an UQ, but did I make a mistake?

Been reading here for a while, finally decided to sign up and do more than that!

I ordered a full size Winter Incubator from hammockgear.com, but after reading a few threads I seem to be doubting myself a little bit in my newbiness. I only have enough money to buy one under quilt, and I bought this thinking I can probably use this all 4 seasons. I am definitely confident in my decision to go full size, as less than half a pound isn't enough to make me want to go smaller, my pack has tons of room, and it's only 20 dollars or so more.

The only concern in my mind is wondering if it will be TOO hot for the other seasons. Since I've never gotten to actually try one out, is that a realistic problem? Do I have to worry about it being too hot at night? I can always get a 3 season instead and eventually buy a winter one, but my goal is to just buy one and use that as long as I can.

So what are your opinions, can the Winter Incubator work for me all four seasons, or should I get a 3 season bag and forget about winter for now?

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I have the winter incubator and have so far been using it up to 65f(i sleep full time in my hammock indoor) with no problems so far.... Just vent it a bit. YMMV
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ofsjason View Post
    Been reading here for a while, finally decided to sign up and do more than that!

I ordered a full size Winter Incubator from hammockgear.com, but after reading a few threads I seem to be doubting myself a little bit in my newbiness. I only have enough money to buy one under quilt, and I bought this thinking I can probably use this all 4 seasons. I am definitely confident in my decision to go full size, as less than half a pound isn't enough to make me want to go smaller, my pack has tons of room, and it's only 20 dollars or so more.

The only concern in my mind is wondering if it will be TOO hot for the other seasons. Since I've never gotten to actually try one out, is that a realistic problem? Do I have to worry about it being too hot at night? I can always get a 3 season instead and eventually buy a winter one, but my goal is to just buy one and use that as long as I can.

So what are your opinions, can the Winter Incubator work for me all four seasons, or should I get a 3 season bag and forget about winter for now?
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Can always open the ends up to regulate. Depends on how much winter hangin yer gonna do.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks to both of you guys for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Can always open the ends up to regulate. Depends on how much winter hangin yer gonna do.
    HamMike, that's basically exactly what I was hoping to hear! Winter will be mostly over by the time I get it anyways, but after freezing my butt off the last couple weeks with CCF pad, All weather Emergency Blanket, and 0 degree bag (-20F), this will be much enjoyed next snowy season!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    If he'll exchange it to the other one, you could always use a pad with it when you want to go colder.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images
    your good to go. just change your top quilt with temps and sleep on the diagonal as to not form a pea pod in warmer weather.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If you can buy only one quilt and you camp in winter, then you did the right thing. The result will be that you will become more proficient than most of us at venting your quilt
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    your good to go. just change your top quilt with temps and sleep on the diagonal as to not form a pea pod in warmer weather.
    Sounds good. I'd rather be able to use less of a blanket/top quilt system and be warmed from the bottom than be bundled in clothes and wearing lots of blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    If you can buy only one quilt and you camp in winter, then you did the right thing. The result will be that you will become more proficient than most of us at venting your quilt
    I did buy a Rite in the Rain notebook, so that can start the Venting Your Underquilt When You Can't Afford A Second One manual

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    What Average temps do you generally sleep in? High altitude or low? And winter camping, sub zero or 15 plus? What is the warmest you plan to hammock in? All questions that factor into your decision.

I use my winter crows nest and burrow between 0-20, 20-35 I use my 3 season quilts, and 35 and above I use my summer set. All are Hammock Gear Quilts. If you get a 3 season you can boost with CCF pad or vapor barrier of some sort. If you get the winter you can just vent it.

The problem me personally I have found with venting is if you vent to much you may get a cold spot from to much sag, but if you have it to tight it gets to hot. All things to think about. But if it were me and I could do things over again. I would get a 3S set before I would of gotten my Winter set. No regrets none at all cause now I have both but it's more of an after thought.

And lastly its Hammock Gear, its gonna be a great quilt no matter what and regardless chances are your gonna end up with 1,2 maybe even 3 more Hammock Gear quilts. Its just a fact of the hammock addiction

HYOH
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ofsjason View Post
    I ordered a full size Winter Incubator from hammockgear.com, but after reading a few threads I seem to be doubting myself a little bit in my newbiness. I only have enough money...
    Oh how I envy your choice (very nice UQ and exactly the same as the one I don't have, yet) but you only have enough money? Welcome to the addiction...I gave up my heroin habit because it was cutting into my hammock funds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast