Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Heavyweight work on a Lightweight machine

There are three kinds of "heavyweight" sewing involved in gear making. One is the use of heavyweight fabric such as ballistic nylon. For the UL gear maker this is not usually an issue. However, if you are using canvas, or canvas weight nylons it will crop up from time to time. Another kind of heavyweight stitching is using webbing. For hammocker this is usually confined to suspensions and is marked by fairly short runs of stitching through two or more layers of webbing. (I sometimes have three layers to prevent ends from raveling.) An exception to this would be the use of webbing on a bridge hammock as part of the suspension arc. The third type might surprise you unless you have run into the problem before. Seams can reach some very serious numbers of layers. For example a rolled hem over a flat felled seam can amount to 7 layers of fabric. That's a lot of fabric compressed very densely. Once again, it is a short stretch of stitching and then back to the normal stuff.

It is important to remember the purpose of the motor is to turn the flywheel. Nothing more, nor less than that. Even on an electronic machine all the motor does is turn the flywheel so you don't have to do it by hand. When you are doing work that exceeds the capacity of your motor and you hear it start to labor, stop stitching. Right away. Don't think about it. Don't decide you can make the next half inch and all will be well. Cheap motors on cheap machines can burn out very easily. Then you have a major problem because to replace the motor will probably run you more money than buying another cheap machine. But do you really want to buy another cheap machine.

Instead, turn the flywheel by hand. The pressure on the needle is where you are going to run into the most problems. The slower the needle penetrates the fabric the less stress is transmitted to the innards. But running a cheap motor at slow speeds is a recipe for disaster. Turning the flywheel by hand is the optimal solution for those occasions where you have just a short bit of heavyweight stitching to do. It does not add much time to the project. It certainly helps keep your machine running smoother, longer. And it does no harm to any of the internal components.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Thanks. Thats one problem solved when I try to solve webbing for tree straps. The other is gnarling of the thread on the bottom side. Thats a problem that I still haven't been able to figure out.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Thanks. Thats one problem solved when I try to solve webbing for tree straps. The other is gnarling of the thread on the bottom side. Thats a problem that I still haven't been able to figure out.
    Try more top tension. Multiple layers of webbing needs a high tension setting.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great advice! As a novice, the horrible sound that my cheap machine was making as I stitched webbing straps scared me enough to switch to "manual" mode.

And yeah, after quite a few frustrating tries, I found out that I needed to turn my top tension all the way up on my cheap machine when sewing webbing.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Thanks for posting this thread. I have been wondering how to tackle some projects with my mom's 20 yo (+??) Singer. It's a decent machine and I'm glad I can try some things without wrecking it.

• + New Posts