Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi trailryder42,
    Sounds like this campground fills up pretty fast. I did not realize that when I made my statement about going up
    on the 7th and grabbing us some spots. I don't usually frequent these types of campgrounds so I'm not sure how it all works.

Looks like we need to reserve spots for the 7th and 8th like Taozenqi has done.
    I'm not quite sure how this is done. Maybe Taozenqi could post up the website he went to.
    If all attend that I posted we are going to need 3 spots total if it's true they will allow 4 hammocks two cars per site.
    Looks like this site http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do is the reservation site. It says all but site 12 is full for the 7th-9th, and it is first come/first serve only. But it allows up to 8 people and 2 vehicles.

Does anyone know if there is any free dispersed camping along the road. If we can't secure enough sites for the group, we'll need a backup plan.

There's Lodgepole CG just to the south of Jefferson creek CG that has 35 sites, Currently showing 21 available, and Aspen across the road from there with 12 sites, showing 3 sites currently available.
    Last edited by trailryder42; 06-06-2011 at 19:49.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    Looks like this site http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do is the reservation site. It says all but site 12 is full for the 7th-9th, and it is first come/first serve only. But it allows up to 8 people and 2 vehicles.

Does anyone know if there is any free dispersed camping along the road. If we can't secure enough sites for the group, we'll need a backup plan.

There's Lodgepole CG just to the south of Jefferson creek CG that has 35 sites, Currently showing 21 available, and Aspen across the road from there with 12 sites, showing 3 currently available.
    Well, there's Kenosha Pass CG about 5 to 6 miles down the road at the CT Trail Head of Segment 6.
    A few pict of the parking and CG entrance here on my facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=9700969028

The Kenosha Pass CG has free parking for 40-50 vehicles and if the CG is full we can always hike in on the CT a short distance and camp anywhere.
    This February I hiked in ~1.5 miles from the free parking area and camped here. see facebook picts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=b64b25b94c

Except for the 2 feet of snow on the ground this a peek at where we'll be.

Let's see what food has to say.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-05-2011 at 23:28.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, there's Kenosha Pass CG about 5 to 6 miles down the road at the CT Trail Head of Segment 6.
    The Kenosha Pass CG has free parking for 40-50 vehicles and if the CG is full we can always hike in on the CT a short distance and camp anywhere.

Oh yeah, didn't see that one. That looks good.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I agree

My gut is telling me I can't do an 1875 ft climb over 5.5 miles right from base camp with no warmup and then another 4 miles
    across the open tundra (at peak lightning time) to get back into the trees for a nice camping spot.

So again just thinking out loud.
    I came up with this.
    Saturday is only 4.5 miles climb to camp before we get above treeline.
    Then we can cross the open high country in the morning when it's cooler and less chance of afternoon lightning storms.
    On Sunday, since it's half up and half down we should be able to make up the miles we didn't do on Saturday.

Anyway I would like your thoughts from the guys/gals that are going.
    I'm just being realistic.
    I don't have the legs or lungs of a 20 or 30 or even 40 year old these days, haha

If you'd like to throw out an idea you can copy my altitude tracking picture from post 86 and add your own arrows.
    I have only hiked Georgia Pass once and that was about 15 years ago. I think there are spots to hang just before the Pass at about 11,600 so 6 miles the first day. Second night at North Fork of Swan River. Third night at Horseshoes gulch, unless the water source before Horsehsoes Gluch looks really good.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

camping and parking

There are three campgounds within walking distance. Jefferson Creek, Aspen and Lodgepole. Aspen is more centrally located.

Parking while hiking is at the Beaver Ponds Picnic Grounds.

There is some good dispersed camping along the Colorado Trail in that area, but they still want a fee to bring a car into the Jefferson Recreation Area.

Kenosha Pass is about six hiking miles from Jefferson Lake Road. It could be slack packed easily in 3 hours. If you want to hike all of Segment 6 then parking at Kenosha Pass on Friday and hiking to Jeffeson Road is OK, but make sure there is shuttle space available first.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

campground reservations

Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post

There's Lodgepole CG just to the south of Jefferson creek CG that has 35 sites, Currently showing 21 available, and Aspen across the road from there with 12 sites, showing 3 currently available.
    I have #3 in Aspen reserved for July 7 & 8 and would be happy to share the space and cost. With my senior discount the cost for both nights is $24.

I have a meeting at 7:00 on Thursday night so I may arrive very late, but the meeting often is cancelled so I may leave after work.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I have only hiked Georgia Pass once and that was about 15 years ago. I think there are spots to hang just before the Pass at about 11,600 so 6 miles the first day. Second night at North Fork of Swan River. Third night at Horseshoes gulch, unless the water source before Horsehsoes Gluch looks really good.
    This sounds like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I have #3 in Aspen reserved for July 7 & 8 and would be happy to share the space and cost. With my senior discount the cost for both nights is $24.

I have a meeting at 7:00 on Thursday night so I may arrive very late, but the meeting often is cancelled so I may leave after work.
    I'll go find Taozenqi's camp and hang out with him if he'll have me?
    I'll also try to snag that first come first serve #12 if it's not taken. In
    case good hanging tree's are in short supply.

Taozenqi would you mind if we all meet at your camping spot? Kind of a check in point.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I just reserved site #12 at Jefferson Lake Campground for July 6, 7 & 8. Dennis will also be with me for another person to the list. We will arrive in the evening of July 6.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I just reserved site #12 at Jefferson Lake Campground for July 6, 7 & 8. Dennis will also be with me for another person to the list. We will arrive in the evening of July 6.
    That's good to hear Walking Bear. I should be arriving mid day on the 7th.
    I'll add Dennis to the list.
    thanks

Summary to Date:

Attendee's
    Food
    Out and Back
    Taozenqi
    waddy
    Mustardman- if ankle is healed
    Walking Bear and Dennis
    Typo Panther
    tanker0707- maybe
    trailryder42
    Freelance Tex and friends

I hope I did not leave anyone out. If so please yell at me and I'll fix it.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is all sounding very exciting. If I have it right, there are 3 campsites? With a possible total of 13 this might be enough to cover everyone. Im still trying to get everyone with me on the same page as well as get things worked out for taking the time off. Another server I work with has been acting like a spoiled rich girl lately. He has been getting the managers to give him the time off for things but at the cost of others having to come in even after they have requested off months in advance. It looks like hes trying to get that weekend off as well and he might do it to us. Cross your fingers he doesnt. Otherwise we all might be 'sick'
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast