Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 251
  1. #151
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    The Colorado Trail Forum has reported that hikers have left the Trail because they can not get over Georgia Pass.
    Yeah, welcome to my last couple of weeks.

    I do quite a few shuttles for hikers coming in to hike the CT. In the last 2 weeks, I've had to go pick up 3 of them that have been forced to bail. Above 11,000 the snow is still very deep.
    Trust nobody!

  2. #152
    Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Colorado Rockies
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    594
    Images
    26

    There will be a hike

    Going west over Georgia Pass is more scenic and has more water sources. Going east the trail crosses Highway 285 and goes through a capital W Wilderness area. In the Wilderness Area the group size is limited to 15 and dogs must remain on leash. NO mountain bikes in the Wilderness Area.

    Since you have taken the vacation time and made travel arrangements you will have the opportunity for a high quality three night hike.

    Monday, the 20th, there was snow on the drive to the Lost Park Campground, but the overnight low Monday night was 37 degrees. There was NO snow on the drive out Wednesday.

    There will be a hang, and there will be a hike.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

  3. #153
    Herder of Cats OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,884
    Images
    129
    General Info on Lost Creek Wilderness Area:

    Located in Pike National Forest

    Neighboring towns: Tarryall, Deckers, Buffalo Creek, Bailey, Estabrook, Glenisle, Shawnee, Singleton, Grant, Jefferson, Englewood, Colorado Springs

    Lost Creek's countless polished granite domes and half-domes, knobs, spires, and buttresses make it one of the state's unique wilderness areas. In many ways, the open parks and granite outcrops resemble a miniature Yosemite Valley.

    Granite rock piles swallow Lost Creek no less than nine times, giving rise to the creek's name. And despite the fact that the area includes most of three mountain ranges - the Platte River, Kenosha, and Tarryall mountains - its character remains one of forest-ringed parks and clear streams rather than alpine tundra.

    Lost Creek got its name from its habit of disappearing several times into rock piles and reappearing later downhill. The northern section contains most of the Platte River Mountains and the Kenosha Mountains.

    During the first U.S. Forest Service RARE process, Lost Creek received more comments recommending its wilderness designation than any other Colorado area. The cross-state Colorado Trail passes through the area.

    Lost Creek offers an intimate encounter with wilderness, much different from the overpowering alpine scenery of the Maroon Bells or Weminuche.

    Beyond the Lost Park Campground, for example, the trail rounds a bend and granite shoulders narrow to literally form a wilderness portal around Lost Creek. In the restricted confines of this small canyon, the creek reflects darkly and its roar reverberates through the dense forest that encloses the trail.

    Mule deer, elk, bobcat and black bear all roam the area, and one of the state's most productive bighorn sheep herds inhabits the Tarryall Mountains.

    Size:119,790 acres

    Elevation:8,000 to 12,400+ feet

    Miles of trails: 100

    info copied from http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wi...lostcreek.html

  4. #154
    Herder of Cats OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,884
    Images
    129
    Last two day have been in the 90's Hot Hot Hot by Colorado standards. Melt baby melt.

    13 days and counting... I'm getting excited.

  5. #155
    Isheian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Spring, CO
    Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Posts
    275
    Ditto! Barring Murphy, I will be there. Not with a hammock. Not yet anyway, been doing lots of educating thanks to these forums and YouTube videos (Shug's and Grizz's videos respectively).
    Getting my first backpacking tent (on sale for $100). It will double for a weekend car camping tent with the wife to be as well. Also bringing a Coleman Stove that just might be older than me. Want to run it ragged to see if it is worth the hassle dissembling and giving it a through cleaning to. So feel free to use it if y'all want. If I get the shower tent (this isa car camping trip for me) I will also be bringing a Zodi propane powered shower to test (again I'll run it if y'all want to try it out) and a camp table with two benches. And various other goodies to play with. God I have not done anything in far too long!
    Last edited by Isheian; 06-25-2011 at 12:16.

  6. #156
    Senior Member Walking Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairbury NE
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Last two day have been in the 90's Hot Hot Hot by Colorado standards. Melt baby melt.

    13 days and counting... I'm getting excited.
    Our Platte river and Missouri rivers are flooding not, that rapid snow melt not going to help. But it good to clear the trail for our hike. I looking forward to being back on the trail in the mountains.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

  7. #157
    Senior Member wolf track's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denison Tx
    Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Posts
    149
    I've been watching the weather for jefferson lake for a couple of weeks now, looks like great hiking if the storms hold off while we're there.

    I've only hiked through about 6 to 8 inches of snow, knee deep sounds a little extreme. How much snow would everyone else consider a doable amount?

    A big thanks to food and outandback for the scouting reports. This will be my first trip to Colorado so the pics and trail descriptions are helping alot with deciding what to bring and what to leave out.

  8. #158
    Isheian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Spring, CO
    Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Posts
    275
    I am thinking of this as a sleeping bag to start off with --->http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...FRAq7AodGkVHNg Heavy but flexible. I can get it for $130, what ya'll think?

  9. #159
    Senior Member trailryder42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    286
    Last Thursday I was in the Rampart Range area. Spent the day hiking to see what it's like with a 40 lb pack at that elevation in prep for this get together. I found I need more water carrying "capability". 2 liters isn't enough.

    Also need a lighter weight full brim hat. Guess I'm off to Gander Mountain.


  10. #160
    Herder of Cats OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,884
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Ditto! Barring Murphy, I will be there. Not with a hammock. Not yet anyway, been doing lots of educating thanks to these forums and YouTube videos (Shug's and Grizz's videos respectively).
    Getting my first backpacking tent (on sale for $100). It will double for a weekend car camping tent with the wife to be as well. Also bringing a Coleman Stove that just might be older than me. Want to run it ragged to see if it is worth the hassle dissembling and giving it a through cleaning to. So feel free to use it if y'all want. If I get the shower tent (this isa car camping trip for me) I will also be bringing a Zodi propane powered shower to test (again I'll run it if y'all want to try it out) and a camp table with two benches. And various other goodies to play with. God I have not done anything in far too long!
    Hi Isheian, We will be car camping THursday /Friday so bring all the comforts you like. I will toss a couple extra hammocks in the car so you and your wifey to be can give them a try.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    Our Platte river and Missouri rivers are flooding not, that rapid snow melt not going to help. But it good to clear the trail for our hike. I looking forward to being back on the trail in the mountains.
    I was in the Mtns(10,700ft) over the weekend 71 during the day and 51 at nite the melting is really kicking in. I hiked in shorts, went to long pants about 7:30pm, went to light cabelas silk longjohns and micro fleece at 9PM. Slept with stocking cap and light wool gloves.

    Here's a few picts of the melt off.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=cebacf3695

    Quote Originally Posted by wolf track View Post
    I've been watching the weather for jefferson lake for a couple of weeks now, looks like great hiking if the storms hold off while we're there.

    I've only hiked through about 6 to 8 inches of snow, knee deep sounds a little extreme. How much snow would everyone else consider a doable amount?

    A big thanks to food and outandback for the scouting reports. This will be my first trip to Colorado so the pics and trail descriptions are helping alot with deciding what to bring and what to leave out.
    I would expect more wind than rain.
    As for snow depth I think we will just have to make the decision while on the trail.
    If the groups says this is no fun we'll turn around. I still give us a 50/50 chance we can get thru.
    IF we can't get thru we are in an area so spectacular we will find a place to hike and hang.

    First time to CO. It will be hard to not pack the kitchen sink just in case. Try your best to keep your
    pack as light as possible. A heavy pack will spoil your trip I promise.

    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    Last Thursday I was in the Rampart Range area. Spent the day hiking to see what it's like with a 40 lb pack at that elevation in prep for this get together.
    I found I need more water carrying "capability". 2 liters isn't enough.

    Also need a lighter weight full brim hat. Guess I'm off to Gander Mountain.
    HaHa, Love the picture.
    We should have access to a lot more water with snow banks and melting snow all around us. That said, bring as much water carrying capacity as you feel comfortable with.

    How was your hike at altitude with a 40# pack? I have my pack down to 23# with 2L of water and 4 days worth of food and it's still kicking my butt when climbing. See my facebook picture link above for my latest get in shape for the Colorado Summer Hang.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-26-2011 at 18:26.

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Colorado> Mtn Bike Hang> Colorado Trail- Seg 2
    By OutandBack in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 10:43
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 15:01
  3. 2012 Colorado Summer Hang (dates, maps, itinerary, attendance list)
    By OutandBack in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 14:36
  4. DISCUSSION: 2012 Colorado summer hang
    By ringtail-THFKAfood in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 09:58
  5. Colorado Summer Hang - July 7 to 12
    By ringtail-THFKAfood in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 21:30

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •