Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Images

Increase (remove?) vBulletin edit time limit

Hello,

I would like to petition an increase of the forums edit time limit.

In my specific case I have a thread ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29002 ) within the "For Sale" subcategory of the "Marketplace" category.

In this particular situation I was faced with a choice:

Do I post 17 independent thread for each item, or, do I post one thread for all of the items.

To keep from thread spamming I choose to do the one thread for all of my items.

I think it is a bit unrealistic to expect 15+ items to sell within the time frame that the current edit time limit setting within the VB install is set at.

Thus I am petitioning either an increase in this setting or a complete removal (which would be to set it at: 0)

I think it would serve the members of this website a great deal to not have to scroll through potentially dozens of pages just to find out if a product has been sold or not - all because the OP could not update their initial thread to indicate a product has been sold.

Thank you.

Why not PM the mods about it?

Also, Idon't think when they made the rules they were really thinking about people who'd like to sell upwards of 10 to 15 items at a time. Doesn't happenvery regularly, I'm willin' to bet they'd helpyou out if you asked them nice like

Banned
    Images
    @Brian,

My post is not about initial posting of a thread. It is about editing a post once it has been posted, perhaps days after it has been posted, in order to mark a given product as "sold".

Banned
    Images
    @Slo,

You really think the Mods want to deal with stuff like this? That would just about be the highlight of their day, don't you think

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    @Slo,

You really think the Mods want to deal with stuff like this? That would just about be the highlight of their day, don't you think
    Sure I do. I don't think they mind helpin' out for the odd issue here or there. I think it's less work than petitioning the forum and then submitting to themods and expecting them to change the current format.. IMHO.. Just tryin' to help you get results, I think a PM would go farther than a petition.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I think that the mods wouldn't have a problem. They close "for sale" threads. And like Slo said, not many selling a bunch of stuff. A longer edit time might be nice, but it won't bother me if it stays like it is.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The mods don't mind helping out with edits if needed to update sales or trip planning.

We're not likely to change the editing timeframe for Sale purposes, though.

The time frame for post edits is 3 full days (72 hours).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The mods don't mind helping out with edits if needed to update sales or trip planning.

We're not likely to change the editing timeframe for Sale purposes, though.

The time frame for post edits is 3 full days (72 hours).
    Thanks for the message sparrow.

Just seems like it would be a lot easier to allow OPs to edit their own posts.

A couple other examples to consider if you & Jeff and Cannibal, and Patrick, and the rest of the gang ever decide for a sit-down about potential changes in the future.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26445 -- 13 pages of topics we have to dig through in order to find out if one of this stakes are in stock, because he cannot edit his original post to indicate such (and he shouldn't have to keep reposting every 9 or 10 posts to help people know)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2713 -- 9 pages of topics, 7 of those pages after the topic closed (yeah, I know, 4 years ago, so I know it does not happen a lot, but, it does happen)

Anyway sparrow, thanks again for posting your thoughts. I understand the reasons that have not been said as to why it is the way it is. It just seems like extra work for both the OP and you to do what could be done in seconds by just the OP.

Hope you had a great weekend!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    He has a point...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

I wish that once a for sale thread is closed it is removed from the for sale forum. That would make scrolling that section a lot faster
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast