Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Warbonnet superfly tarptent?

sorry about the pics, i was going to go to the park and take some pics with different setups, but i realized most of my stakes are frozen into the ground in the backyard and cannot be removed, but this gives you an idea.

this is something i've been meaning to make for awhile now. just like the speer winter tarp, it's basically just a newer version of the old tarptents made out of a big rectangular tarp like seen on justjeff's site.

advantages of this design are that it converts back to a regular hex tarp when weather permits, the end panels simply swing inward all the way and attach to the underside of the ridgeline. the panels are tied up and out of the way in a few seconds and it then functions like a regular tarp.

even when in use as a 4-walled shelter, only 4 stakes are required. by using 2 more stakes, the end panels can be staked independently of the tarp giving you many setup options.

i like this design because unlike the old tarptents, it provides full coverage on the ends as well. even with the one side staked up high, you still have a full wind-break on 3 sides.

also, like my trail days demo, it is a perimeter-loaded design, which enables a tighter pitch than would be available with traditional corner pull tabs. the 1/2" gg ribbon that runs inside the edge hem adds about 1-1.5 oz to the total weight, i'm thinking that replacing it with a lighter edge binding instead will provide the same performance with reduced weight.

specs:

11x10

floor-space in tarptent mode: ~80" wide x 88" long

ridgeline height in tarptent mode: ~4'3"-6" (in center), slightly higher at ends.

weight: i'll post back with this later when i weigh it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 01-19-2008 at 23:26.

• + New Posts