Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Looks like a variation of a bowline, nice knot!
    More like a variant of the rolling hitch, like most slide and grip hitches are. To me the Blake's Hitch offers less purchase than the Midshipman's Hitch when tied onto the same sized cord. However I think it offers superior purchase when tied to bigger rope (like for ascending). I still like the Klemheist for ascening better tho, either way you still gotta have a loop and the Klemheist (and Prusik) are tied with a loop anyway.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

yeah I learned the blake in my tree trimming days as a climbing knot. I liked it because it won't un-roll like the rolling hitch. But for Tarp tensioning I'm switching to the grip hitch thanks to greggg3, ty greeggg3. We got some really high winds yesterday and I was pleased this knots performance, and it's so much easier to tie.

Neo mason line is available in two weights at home depot or menards. Its cheap handy cord for guylines.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clodbuster View Post
    Neo mason line is available in two weights at home depot or menards. Its cheap handy cord for guylines.
    Mason line is cheap, light, and strong. It is prone to tangling and abrading, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

I thought the new "in" thing was the Nite Ize Figure-9 thingamajiggers? I bought a few from Ace Hardware and am dying to try them out. I already have real 550 Paracord laying around so figured I'd use that for the tarp with the Figure-9's. Actually, I'm dying to try out my #&$(*&@) Claytor if it ever gets here!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    More like a variant of the rolling hitch, like most slide and grip hitches are. To me the Blake's Hitch offers less purchase than the Midshipman's Hitch when tied onto the same sized cord. However I think it offers superior purchase when tied to bigger rope (like for ascending). I still like the Klemheist for ascening better tho, either way you still gotta have a loop and the Klemheist (and Prusik) are tied with a loop anyway.

hog, i worked for a summer for a tree trimmer, and we tied in, and then tied the blake's hitch with the slack/tail that was leftover. so it was tied on the same rope/size. we didn't use it for ascending, we had a couple people haul the person up to the top and then it was tied for descending only. i remember it working good for decending. seems like i remember just pulling on the top of it to begin decending, and then it was nice b/c you could just pull on the stopper knot kinda like a brake.

i like the klemheist best for ascending too, way easier to tie than a prissik, and can be tied with webbing or line. seems like it loosens easier when loaded too. ever looked at those ascending devices/knots that are part knot part simple hardware (can't remember where online, but somewhere or exactly what they are called) they seem pretty cool. i guess a klemheist is kinda like that if you wrap the knot around the stem of a biner to use as a handle for sliding it up the line. anyway, glad somebody pointed out the klemheist, i find it better than the prussic in every application i have tried.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 04-13-2008 at 11:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234