Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    My ridgeline length was predetermined before starting and it comes out thru the center of the whipped knob and Is larks headed around that knob. The ridgline(7/64 amsteal)takes all The force and none is on The net or footbox area when stretched to maximum length.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the posting the pic. Very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    The net on my "WAR BIRD" is attached to the sides all the way up to the point, as far as my sewing machine would let me get. The net is cut to a point and not attached square to the unwhipped width and then "scrunched" down like the bed fabric is. The very point that is not sewn is held tight by the line that is used to whip the end with. My edges are all bound with groisgain ribbon and the tail ends of that are also whipped in for strength.

"I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    For a bugnet hammock I would fit the net with with the ridgeline at the max length.
    With the hammock starting off at a length of 120" ungathered, I was looking at a approximate ridgeline length of 100" using the 83% rule. However, what kind of cushion do you recommend obtaining a max ridgeline length without creating a sagging bugnet?

I look forward to any pictures you may have - thanks guys. My goal is to have the bugnets on my WBBB and HH DIYs this weekend, before my wife tosses my thread injector

While we are on the topic - Myles jump in too. I plan on taking the same visual approach and laying the bugnet on the ridgeline, and pinning the fabric together *where both frayed ends are on the same side* then sew together, and cover with folded grosgrain. I think that approach will work. Envision a flat folded seam seems a nightmare with two slippery fabrics and varying lengths.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    When I put on my bugnet I pinned the raw edges of the body and The net together towards the outside, sewed once then folded 7/8" grosgain over that and sewed two more lines of stitching. I did not do any folding of The fabric edges and it came out very strong.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    With the hammock starting off at a length of 120" ungathered, I was looking at a approximate ridgeline length of 100" using the 83% rule. However, what kind of cushion do you recommend obtaining a max ridgeline length without creating a sagging bugnet?
    I wish I could be of more help, but I haven't remotely figured out a science to determining proper ridgeline length. Seems like a REALLY subjective personal preference that is best determined by trying different lengths to see what feels best to you. For example, on my DL 1.1RS hammock i like more sag than in my FrankenBird, which is a single layer Polyester taffeta. The relative stretchiness of the fabric makes a difference in how each feels at any given % of total RL length... to me at least.

If I were going through this process I would likely find the length that feels best at that moment and add 2" to it for the max length used to fit the bug net.
    I'm sure many folks will cringe at this, but I like having some room to play with it. Maybe as I gain experience I'll get comfortable with adding only 1", or maybe even adding none at all. I'm not there yet.
    I'm also OK with knowing that my bug net may be a bit loose if I adjust the RL to make it shorter later. Some folks would be bothered by this... not me. In my FrankenBird the RL and bug net are so far from me that i really don't car if it sags a bit. The only impact is aesthetic. If you saw some of my seams you'd know that the bug net is not the top of my aesthetic worries.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    When I put on my bugnet I pinned the raw edges of the body and The net together towards the outside, sewed once then folded 7/8" grosgain over that and sewed two more lines of stitching. I did not do any folding of The fabric edges and it came out very strong.
    I roll hemmed the edge of my bug net, then roll hemmed the edge of the hammock, then overlapped them and ran a single line of stitches to join them.
    It worked fine, but the way Myles did it looks WAY better, IMHO.

Not sure if I'll do it Myles way next time, or if I'll just roll hem both together in one step.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I thank you for that tid-bit of info! My next big project will be my first hammock and the netting is the scarry part for me ... oh yeah, and the zipper
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I'm also OK with knowing that my bug net may be a bit loose if I adjust the RL to make it shorter later. Some folks would be bothered by this... not me. In my FrankenBird the RL and bug net are so far from me that i really don't car if it sags a bit. The only impact is aesthetic. If you saw some of my seams you'd know that the bug net is not the top of my aesthetic worries.
    Want to start a fan club - my seams probably look the same After rolling my hems (switch), attached both layers of 1.1oz RS (another stitch), and then two more stitches to attach the zipper - the zipper side of my hammock looks like a railroad station.

Thanks for the info - both the HH and the WBBB DIY's are my first hammocks with ridgelines. My Treklight is free hanging, as well as my gathered end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12