Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Foot end spreader bar failure

I just finished my DIY bridge hammock and set it up for it's maiden voyage. Unfortunately, my foot end spreader bar broke on the first try. My spreader bar was an Easton aluminum tent pole tube, .433 diameter, single piece 26" long. The sides of the triangle were set at 18". It folded and broke exactly in the middle. I weight 180 lbs. The ridgeline was at 9'4" and the front spreader bar is a (2) piece .625 that is 36" long with sides set at 28".

I don't remember high school trig, so maybe some of you mathites can figure out where I went wrong.

Anyhow, I am moving up to .625 diameter easton tubing, setting the sides longer (I am using dynaglide whoopies for the side lengths so adjustment will be a cinch) and using (2) 13" poles with a pole insert in them.

Happy Trails

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    I'm very interested in a reason for the failure as well! I was planning to place an order with Quest for this exact spreader bar this afternoon, I weigh 203???
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    tpkanu, thanks for sharing this.

I'm looking at the DIY bridge as well, and Grizz's information specifys the .625OD Easton tubes as well.

As to the failure mode, if there was no crease or dent in the middle of your tube, then it sounds like a straight structural overloading. "folded and broke exactly in the middle" sounds like a nice even load, too stressful for the material to handle. Since you're already moving to the .625" tubes, I won't bother with the math.

Sorry that this failed on you, but thanks for hammering home the need for the stouter tubes!

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    On Grizz's Bengal unleashed video, he mentioned the thinner diameter bar for the foot end but I think (Please correct me if this is wrong) suspension lengths (sides of the triangle) needed to be a minimum of 75% of the bar length making 19.5” the min. Is 1.5” enough for structural failure or is it looking like a manufacturing defect? Either way, I'm not take the Quest cart to check-out just yet.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    One other item to look at is how it is attached to the triangle suspension. If it is not in a direct line that could have contributed to the failure. Using the .625 and the 75% triangle sides should solve the problem.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Going from .433 to .625

raises the rigidity and bend strength exponentially, as I seem to remember from many moons ago in Physics 1. Anyone here care to offer a real analysis? My shade-tree mechanic alarm went off when I saw .433. Just seems a bit too small in dia.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    raises the rigidity and bend strength exponentially, as I seem to remember from many moons ago in Physics 1. Anyone here care to offer a real analysis? My shade-tree mechanic alarm went off when I saw .433. Just seems a bit too small in dia.

Jim

Yep, you're correct. With a clean fracture right in the middle of the tube it sounds like a buckling failure, and increasing the thickness of the tubing exponentially increases the buckling strength as you are increasing the radius of inertia of the bar. It isn't a linear relationship but rather a quartic one with respect to the inner and outer radii. Assuming everything else constant, the thicker pole (.625", .038" thickness) will be ~390% stronger than the thinner (.433", .030" thickness) for buckling loads.

Force-wise, for 7000 series aluminum, the thicker pole will buckle at 460 lbf with the thinner pole buckling at 117 lbf (which is well within reason for an adult getting into a hammock!).
    Last edited by Brian; 03-01-2011 at 15:59.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yep, you're correct. With a clean fracture right in the middle of the tube it sounds like a buckling failure, and increasing the thickness of the tubing exponentially increases the buckling strength as you are increasing the radius of inertia of the bar. It isn't a linear relationship but rather a quartic one with respect to the inner and outer radii. Assuming everything else constant, the thicker pole (.625", .038" thickness) will be ~390% stronger than the thinner (.433", .030" thickness) for buckling loads.

Force-wise, for 7000 series aluminum, the thicker pole will buckle at 460 lbf with the thinner pole buckling at 117 lbf (which is well within reason for an adult getting into a hammock!).
    And the Mathletes have spoken...........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    And the Mathletes have spoken...........
    Nah, I'm no mathlete. Just a bored engineering student wanting to feel like his degree is worth something!
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    FWIW, I do use the thinner tube on my own rig, I'm closer to 200 than to 180 (sad to say) but also I lengthen the suspension triangle from 19.5" minimum (for a 26" spread) to 24". That reduces the compression on the tube by 20% or more, if I've done my sums correctly.

In addition to the other factors offered, it might have something to do with just _where_ you plunked yourself down. The closer you are to that end, the more of your weight it's going to try and take.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast