Thumbs down Making First Hammock - Need a Bit of Advice

I'm just setting out on my first hammock making adventure...nothing fancy, I am just trying to make what I will call a "flat" hammock for an occational nap...no camping in mind, just something to have out in the yard. I am using a thick piece of denim and want to have pieces of wood at the ends to make it "flat, but I have seen two designs.

1. One with the fabric wrapped around the wood at both ends of the hammock and sewn on, then two anchors for ropes at each end of the piece of wood. These get tied together at the center point and then these would get tied to your support.

2. The other has a lot of holes drills into the length of the pieces of wood, with ropes threaded through the holes then tied to the fabric, which has grommets in it equal the number of holes drilled into the wood pieces. All the lengths of rope are then tied together using a metal ring or the like. I'm sure you know what I mean.

My question...is there a reason for the two styles? Is one more stabil, or stronger the the other? Is it just for looks? Is there a 'center of gravity' issue that one address' better than the other?
    I want the hammock to bunch up around me as little as possible, but I dont want to get tossed out of it either.
    I hope that all makes sense...sure would appreciate a little insight or a point in the right direction.

Thanks so much,

Kenny

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums!

Just my opinion, but I don't believe there is any fundamental difference in the 'feel' of the hammock using those two options. Honestly, I avoid spreader-bar yard hammocks like the plague. Then again, I sleep in my hammocks; for naps, they are just fine.

There will be some differences. Drilling the holes and attaching the rope would be the more difficult route IMO. It isn't going to be real easy to get all those different pieces of rope to be even with each other once you start tying knots. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Also, drilling the holes in the spreader bars is going to significantly reduce the strength of the spreader bar. If you go with this route, be sure the material you select for the spreaders is plenty strong enough. The upside to this design is I believe it will do a slightly better job of conforming to your body, which equates to better comfort.

Make it plenty long and be careful getting in and out, as this type of hammock is pretty 'tippy'. The extra length will help, but it won't solve the issue.

Pictures! We require them here if you're DIYing. Glad to see someone interested in using hammocks for what they are supposed to be used for; being lazy in the yard.
    Trust nobody!

Thanks for the insight Cannibal! I tried laying in a hammock my mom brought me back from the Yucatan...it was just bunched up at both ends. When I got into it I was instantly wrapped up inside it and felt like I'd just been swallowed by a Python. my mom informed me I'm supposed to lay in it at an angle. After trying that, and failing, I just said "you show me"...she would not!
    I tried many times again, just laying in it, trying to read a book, but my arms were being so tightly held to my sides I was hard pressed to turn a page, much less get comfortable. That's why I'm going for the flat kind.

Your concerns are well understood in trying to get all the ropes the same length...I'm assuming you tried it? But as you say it does seem like it may comform to ones body better, but is it worth the hassle? Maybe there's some kind of trick to getting them all the same length...that's what I'm hoping to find in the forums here. The strength of the crossbar, I am not afraid of, as I'm a woodworker and can tackle that just fine. But the other method of wrapping the bar around the wood sure sounds easier.

I will certainly do pictures with whatever I end up going with.
    Let me know if you have any other thoughts if you would.

Thanks again,

Kahu

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KahuKenny View Post
    Thanks for the insight Cannibal! I tried laying in a hammock my mom brought me back from the Yucatan...it was just bunched up at both ends. When I got into it I was instantly wrapped up inside it and felt like I'd just been swallowed by a Python. my mom informed me I'm supposed to lay in it at an angle. After trying that, and failing, I just said "you show me"...she would not!
    I tried many times again, just laying in it, trying to read a book, but my arms were being so tightly held to my sides I was hard pressed to turn a page, much less get comfortable. That's why I'm going for the flat kind.

Your concerns are well understood in trying to get all the ropes the same length...I'm assuming you tried it? But as you say it does seem like it may comform to ones body better, but is it worth the hassle? Maybe there's some kind of trick to getting them all the same length...that's what I'm hoping to find in the forums here. The strength of the crossbar, I am not afraid of, as I'm a woodworker and can tackle that just fine. But the other method of wrapping the bar around the wood sure sounds easier.

I will certainly do pictures with whatever I end up going with.
    Let me know if you have any other thoughts if you would.

Thanks again,

Kahu
    I'll lay you dollars to donuts you had it hung too tightly. That is an extremely common beginning mistake. Hang it with more slack than you think is even reasonable. You'll probably be about right. The suspension ropes of your Yucatan hammock should be about 35* below horizontal. You'll look at it a declare me to be the worst sadist imaginable expecting you to sleep in a banana boat. But once you get into it and spread it out, you'll find it flatter than any spreader bar hammock you can get. Do yourself a favor and give it a try before you start on the patio hammock. I've used both and I'll never use a spreader bar patio hammock again.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts