Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Next thought what about putting a spreader bar under the ridgeline say about 3 to 4 inches one on each side of the tarp. this would create a small pitch just enough for the water to roll off and then you could pitch the sides at a steeper angle.
    yep. I'll need some free time and a handy slide rule to figure out how best that would go. The rope rigging on that thing would look down right funky. I've got some airport & airplane time in my immediate future, hammock math is usually a good way to pass the time...

Grizz

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I don't have either one yet, so this is just from looking at the websites - it looks like the the difference between the tarps is that one is set up with exta tie outs along the 11' side, while the other is set up with the extra tie outs on the 10' side. In other words if you want the hang the tarp with the "doors" partially closed on the ends, one would have 10' ridgeline, the other an 11' ridgeline, the first having longer sides. Is this correct?

If so, which one would work better for a no-net claytor (~10' long), or a homemade bridge (wide)?
    I just ordered the Speer for a couple of reasons: the ridgeline on the Speer is 11 ft. giving about a foot of coverage at each end (the Claytor will be about 9 ft. hung with sag). The JRB is only 10 ft. when pitched in the tarp tent configuration and their add states that it works well with standard size hammocks like the expediton which is only 8 ft. long. Also lighter. I hope to try it this weekend with my Claytor.

Yep, that's a brown Winter Tarp in my pic.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I contacted Ed Speer about the mention of different colors on the Speer Winter Tarps and he wrote back:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Speer
    I’ve been using several different color fabrics lately for tarps. I do have a small amount of olive brown—probably the color referred to. Getting that color is difficult since it’s seldom available on the market, so I often use silver grey. Someday I hope to be able to offer more color choices on all my products—but it won’t be anytime soon….Ed
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I'm glad I bought when I did I guess.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm hearing you loud and clear. The tarp is turning out to be the biggest issue with hanging in the bridge. Without tricks it's hard to pitch things close up around the hammock (but tricks are fun... ) In winter it is worse if you have layers of UQ because you need to pitch high enough to keep from dragging on the ground.

Grizz
    Exactly, then when I take it to the trail instead of my flat back yard, complexities increase. Some of those hammock hanging advantages that Ed talks about in his book (like being able to camp on a steep slope) are harder to realize. Like you say, the challenge is fun, but on a longer trip, sometimes after a long day, simpler is better. One of the things I like about hanging is that almost anywhere where there are trees, I can throw up the hammock and tarp in minutes and be sleeping warm and comfy. With the bridge, it just seems more complicated, getting the height right (so the bottom doesn't drag - another reason I'm leaning toward pads instead of under quilts), then getting the tarp set for good coverage without rubbing on the spreader bars. And this is all made worse by my width or preference for a wide 41" spreader bar so I don't have shoulder squeeze. I'll continue to tinker with the bridge setup and use it for short trips where I know where I'll be camping. But I'm hoping the claytor no-net will become my standard for winter "adventure" trips where I don't know where I'll end up each night.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Exactly, then when I take it to the trail instead of my flat back yard, complexities increase. Some of those hammock hanging advantages that Ed talks about in his book (like being able to camp on a steep slope) are harder to realize. Like you say, the challenge is fun, but on a longer trip, sometimes after a long day, simpler is better. One of the things I like about hanging is that almost anywhere where there are trees, I can throw up the hammock and tarp in minutes and be sleeping warm and comfy. With the bridge, it just seems more complicated, getting the height right (so the bottom doesn't drag - another reason I'm leaning toward pads instead of under quilts), then getting the tarp set for good coverage without rubbing on the spreader bars. And this is all made worse by my width or preference for a wide 41" spreader bar so I don't have shoulder squeeze. I'll continue to tinker with the bridge setup and use it for short trips where I know where I'll be camping. But I'm hoping the claytor no-net will become my standard for winter "adventure" trips where I don't know where I'll end up each night.
    don't laugh---so that I can easily get the height of the tarp and bridge right, easily, I've hung a length of cord that is Just The Right Height from the tarp's ridgeline tie-out. It hangs down, I pitch the tarp so that it just touches the ground. The rest of it follows directly. Hammock ridgeline goes immediately under the tarp ridgeline, tightened up on the trees before the real suspension lines are attached. When that's tight and level (use a $2 level from Home Depot) attach the main suspension lines to the ridgeline rings, and attach webbing at tree using as steep an angle as you can. Tighten the suspension lines until they are pulling up on the rings. Remove ridgeline cord to trees. Clip on hammock. All of the above takes a couple of minutes.

I cheated though. I left out the step of pitching the tarp after the height is right. Fussing with getting the stakes right takes a little while, but that's true for any tarp.

That all said, it is more complicated to pitch the bridge. I think with practice though it doesn't take overly long. That said, at the end of a 14 hour hike/ride/paddle, even simpler is better. No arguments.

with a 41" spread you have serious tarp issues!

Grizz

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    Yep, that's a brown Winter Tarp in my pic.
    Got mine in brown today, going to try it at Mt. Rodgers this weekend.-- John

I think you will be happy with it.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've ordered a brown speer to use with the no net claytor if it ships this month

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast