Lightbulb Cammo Ripstop Hammock - flip pod

I have just completed my first speer/banana hammock. I just followed Nomads Hammock pattern. The width is set by the 56" bolt, less an inch and a half which was used for the hem. The length was cut at about 10', and the ends are zip-tied with the sides pulled up 3".

I used camo ripstop to suit the cool weather and so that I can hang unobtrusively. Camo is all the rage here fashion-wise and so it is cheap and plentiful.

It is a bit heavy, though and weighs about the same as or a little more than my HH Hyperlight Asym - without the tarp or mosquito net! The thicker fabric is great, though.

The interesting thing about it is that I added a sewn-on stuff sack like the Nomads and realised that when I load it with some objects it can be thrown over the top to create a pod.

It's quite breathable and warmer. By putting my arms behind my head I can open up a bivi-sized hole.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a great concept. A hammock like that would be perfect to be enclosed in a sleeping bag or Pea Pod. Great job.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man, great work but I think I'd be afraid to sleep in that confined of a space. However, I am sure it is fine for some folks.

- JT

I admit that lying in it, the thought crossed my mind "so this is what it's like to wake up in a coffin."

But by a small body movement (crossing my arms above my head), I achieved increased headroom and airflow without giving up a lot of warmth. My hammock has built in tabs for a structural ridgeline, and if I were to add extra width in the middle (the opposite of a cat cut) I could have extra headroom.

I could also add buttons.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    I have just completed my first speer/banana hammock. I just followed Nomads Hammock pattern. The width is set by the 56" bolt, less an inch and a half which was used for the hem. The length was cut at about 10', and the ends are zip-tied with the sides pulled up 3".

I used camo ripstop to suit the cool weather and so that I can hang unobtrusively. Camo is all the rage here fashion-wise and so it is cheap and plentiful.

It is a bit heavy, though and weighs about the same as or a little more than my HH Hyperlight Asym - without the tarp or mosquito net! The thicker fabric is great, though.

The interesting thing about it is that I added a sewn-on stuff sack like the Nomads and realised that when I load it with some objects it can be thrown over the top to create a pod.

It's quite breathable and warmer. By putting my arms behind my head I can open up a bivi-sized hole.
    nice, i love that camo neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts