Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DYI - How much do you actually save

I am curious to know how much money you save, on average, building your own gear.

For instance an average 10x8 tarp may cost $X but you do it for cost $J or a regular 30 degree TQ (or UQ) costs $W but you do it for $T.

Also, when you calculate your cost for doing a DYI project do you calculate an hourly production cost for your time?

We get into this debate all the time at work but it normally relates to home improvement and it got me thinking about Hammock and Backpacking gear.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    For me, the savings is minor but the satisfaction level is through the roof. Same with home improvement (the satisfaction part especially). But I guess it's all a matter of how much time do you want to invest? That said, materials can be cheaper but hourly costs are usually more.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Here's a prior thread which explores this very question. The dialog runs the gamut. The same issues are involved in gear making as in home improvement. How you rate the value of your time is a personal decision. I doubt there is any standard answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I am curious to know how much money you save, on average, building your own gear.

For instance an average 10x8 tarp may cost $X but you do it for cost $J or a regular 30 degree TQ (or UQ) costs $W but you do it for $T.

Also, when you calculate your cost for doing a DYI project do you calculate an hourly production cost for your time?

We get into this debate all the time at work but it normally relates to home improvement and it got me thinking about Hammock and Backpacking gear.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Here's a prior thread which explores this very question. The dialog runs the gamut. The same issues are involved in gear making as in home improvement. How you rate the value of your time is a personal decision. I doubt there is any standard answer.
    Thanks for the link. I should have done a better search on that one.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Its more a hobby, or a curse, depending on how you look at it.
    DIY can cost you in higher cost per yard vs. a cottage guys bulk purchase, mistakes, numerous returns to the store for "needed" items.
    Initial cost may include the machine, thread, fabric, accessories, plus shipping. And time, a lot of time at first. Learning all the tricks will speed up the process for the next project.

But there is a great satisfaction from laying inside your creation.
    Some folks tinker with cars, others collect antiques, pick your poison.

Cheaper, not at first. But with experiences learned, it can be a rewarding hobby.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    It depends. I just finished a DIY Blackbird. Material I got from JustJeff years ago for $1.36 a yard. Suspension I got for $.15ft and zipper I got for $3. Thread I got at Joann's for ... less than $5 (can't remember price, had it a while). So my hammock so far with no bug net has run me about $11.28. Plus $2.37 for the 2mm dyneema cord on my ridgeline that is $13.65. As for time, well everyone's time is priceless but DIY is all about two things. Having fun doing the project and saving yourself money.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I could have bought 2 black birds for what I have spent on a sewing machine and supplies. And still ended up with a hammock.

But for me I like messing with this stuff.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For me DIY is an avoidance issue.... just trying to dodge what I should be doing and doing what I want to do!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I can personally contest that in many situations that the project either ends up a failure or you spend twice the amount of hours working on it than you would working to make the money to buy something of professional quality. I failed at a backpack I worked hard and long on and ended up spending half as much as a full price pack would be. I'm not going to quit with the diy but now I know a bit more of what to expect.

I was actually planning to make an 11' x 8' tarp with silnylon (I assume a straight rectangle would be easier) I check prices of black silnylon and other cost, then check Brian at oes site and it would have been about $10 more for him to make it for me haha. So I didn't do it. Like Gargoyle said, we have to purchase at consumer cost while vendors have accounts to get the stuff cheaper and sell at a very reasonable price.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The first project almost always cost more that buying once you factor all the hidden cost. Sure you can make a netless diy hammock cheap but once you add a bugnet etc you can still approach the cost of a new hammock.

I agree with the post above. I am a die hard DIYer but tarps are an area that are not worth the diy time unless you are trying a new design. The retail cost of cuben or silnylon with shipping can almost be the cost of a tarp at retail. I have made several tarps but the next one I will purchase.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast