ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing

Canoeing and hammocking - a video

I went on a weekend canoe trip last weekend, and I brought the hammock along so I wouldn't be stuck on the ground like everyone else. I used a GoPro HD Hero to record the weekend. I did run into some battery life issues, but overall, I think it was fun.

The render isn't quite as clear as it could be for recording in HD. I set the bitrate kinda low on this one, since setting it high enough to give true HD would have made it so that it was too big to upload on a free vimeo account. I plan on purchasing a pro account soon enough so I can upload content in its full HD glory, but not yet.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    That is a pretty versatile camera. I have been toying with the idea of getting one for my scuba diving adventures.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    I love it. My only complaint was a lack of battery life for 2 days of recording. I ran out less than a mile before we finished.

That said, it's a problem I could have easily remedied. I have a solar/hand crank emergency radio with a USB port on it I could have brought and used to rechard the camera. I just made the conscious decision not to bring it because I thought I could budget the battery better than I did. Lesson learned.

I have a 16GB card in it, and I had no trouble with memory space at the 720p 30fps setting. I have yet to try to record in 1080p, so we'll see how the 16GB card does with that. It should still get me 1 battery charge worth of recording, though, at least according to the camera specs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Really enjoyed that, great vid

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    that was cool something I would love to try

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I lost a shot gun duck hunting the same way you lost that fishing pole. However I didnt have a ha ha to go along with the loss.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    I lost a shot gun duck hunting the same way you lost that fishing pole. However I didnt have a ha ha to go along with the loss.
    Thankfully the lure grabbed quite securely onto that branch (3 treble hooks on a lure are good for one thing, at least) so I was able to recover the pole.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe *zipppppp*
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    Great Vid! Makes me even more excited for my first spring trip of the year.
    Stevicide

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Earlier this week, GoPro released the battery bacpac. It's supposed to vastly extend the life of your batteries, as well as charge them, but if you also got the LCD bacpac, I think you may run into a problem since they both use the same data port on the back of the HD Hero. This is why I haven't gotten the battery bacpac yet. I have found extra batteries at REI, here in California, so I would try looking there as well.

If you're not going to use the HD settings, you have to realize it's only a 5 megapixle video camera. The HD makes the video quality far better. Eye of Mine.com sells a number of aftermarket products especially for GoPro - including a special polarizing filter. It will help your videos get more color in daylight, but be sure to take it out in the dark, or inside, because the filter is designed to gut the light going into the lense. Hope this helps. I think the HD Hero is a great video camera.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    Yeah, I got the notice on the battery bacpac. I might buy it, but on this trip, the portable recharge gadget I already have would have sufficed since I recorded over the course of 2 days, and I would have been able to top off the battery overnight.

I don't have the LCD bacpac, either...but I've run into a couple situations where having it would have really helped me frame my shots better.

I do shoot in HD all the time. On my first try, I used the 960p setting (essentially 720p, but tall) and it was too tall for my tastes. I could see using that setting in some situations, but for most of what I do, I think wide formats work just fine. I've shot a little bit in 720p lately and mostly like the results. I'm going to try shooting in 1080p for a few vids now so I can compare the different FOV.

I decreased the bitrate on this video I uploaded because I still have a free vimeo account and the best quality version I have on my PC goes WAY over my weekly limit for uploads. I'll be upgrading my account so I can upload the higher quality vids.

Thanks for the tip on the filters and stuff for the GoPro. I was unaware of that site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast