Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images

Injected my first stitches

Yay, I'm excited!!! I've been wanting to buy some ripstop and start making my own hammock for a month or two now. But I've been afraid of the machine, not that I would break it or that it would hurt me, but rather that I would end up messing up and wasting money or just find out that I can't s... uh... inject thread.

Well anyway, I've been watching Ramblinrev's instructional videos and doing supplemental research and last night I finally had enough confidence and motivation to try the thread injector. I started with a lightweight cotton material that my wife gave to me to try. She let me use the machine and I started with a straight hem. Then I folded it and turned it into a rolled hem. Next I made a french seam and then a flat felled seam (using instructions I found on some female oriented "thread injecting" website).

When I was done I showed it to my wife and she said "you're a better seamstress than me". I thought she was joking until she showed me one of the skirts she made for herself (not that she has done many) and she was right, my stitching was better. Woo Hoo! I guess I'm a natural. The stitches aren't as straight as something expensive from the store but I'm sure I'll get better with practice. Now I just need to save up for the supplies to actually make my first hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Congrats! You'll find that DIY can be so (sew) rewarding that it will take time away from getting out in the woods. You can save a smidgen of time when you post about it by using the approved HF abbreviation for the equipment: PTI = Powered Thread Injector. (Don't shorten it to TI - that's titanium.)

Hmmm. My wife's old "portable" PTI is so well built that it leaves bruises on my shins and threatens to dislocate my shoulder every time I move it. I wonder if there's a TI PTI?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images
    As if there aren't enough abbreviations on this forum already. Well if we keep this up we will have our own language. Maybe we could call it Hammock Forum English (or HFE, ). So yeah, PTI is one I haven't seen yet or didn't understand when I did see it.

It's funny this thread was moved to the DIY forum. I thought hard about creating it there but decided not to since it wasn't specifically asking a question or showing someone how to do something. Oh well.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You have now empowered your-self ....and family will start to bring over trousers for alteration!
    A right goodie to you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El cheapo from Bass Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs
    Suspension
    DIY Straps & sling
    Congrats! I recently finished my first DIY hammock. Like you I was a bit intimidated by the whole thing, but then I watched one of Creative Kayt's videos where her philosophy was "so what it is just a few dollars worth of material". My seams aren't straight, but they're strong. Go for it!
    Last edited by Shoreborn; 03-04-2011 at 14:51.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    way to go. i had the same feelings when i first started with my hammock project. now that i some skills my wife wants me to make her curtains. lol
    Hops

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grich9860 View Post
    way to go. i had the same feelings when i first started with my hammock project. now that i some skills my wife wants me to make her curtains. lol
    Hmmm... We need some blackout curtains in our bedroom. Maybe I should put that on the project list after the hammocks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nomoore View Post
    Hmmm... We need some blackout curtains in our bedroom. Maybe I should put that on the project list after the hammocks.
    Easy there sparky... It is of course up to you. But perhaps you should wait until the request is made. Depends on which approach seems to provide the best leverage for future gear projects. This is a unique situation. Make sure you wait for the most opportune moment...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Easy there sparky... It is of course up to you. But perhaps you should wait until the request is made. Depends on which approach seems to provide the best leverage for future gear projects. This is a unique situation. Make sure you wait for the most opportune moment...
    Hmmm... Something to think about. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I will point out here that curtains are simpler then hammocks- only 1 channel, but 3 hems, and your stitches rarely have to bear any appreciable weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast