Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Yep, pics of your whoopies might shed some light.
    Either the bury is not set or the right length, or you have them installed wrong.
    Typically the stress is inline with the rope and the entry/exit points don't show major signs of tension.
    Gargoyle is both larger and more experienced than me, but I can report the my whoopies hold my ~200Lbs just fine and have never slipped.
    I used 7/64 amsteel with about an 8" bury.
    However mine show quite a bit of stress where the bury exits at the adjustment end (closest to hammock). Several of us talked about it last weekend on a local HF.net hang in NC when Lighter knot commented that my whoopies showed well more stress than his did.
    I had a heck of a time making them, as I didn't have a good fid. i think I stretched the weave apart pretty good (not suggesting that the fibers stretched, just that the weave of the line was loosened) during construction and that was exacerbated by use. As stretched out as they look, they still hold fine and don't appear to be getting worse. I think that the weave of the fibers just got a bit bunched on one side and spread apart on the other.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Sorry! Your whoopie should work fine. You need to milk the bury after you set the length.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have a 7" bury on my WS and my weight fluctuates between 270lbs and 320lbs. The WS have held fine. Another reminder to milk the bury before you get in. I would not worry about the sign of stress on the fibers.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12