Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Here's a little write up I did on our motorcycle site:

I sold my BlackBird after trying for over 30 nights just to spend one whole night in it. With many different pads. without pads, UQ's ... etc. Couldn't do it. Sold.

Hennesey was a no-no.

Jacks R Better bridge made me feel like a sardine. Less than 5 minutes and it was down.

Grizz Bridge was better but still narrow and couldn't get out of the **** thing.

If you think the Chrysalis is tippy, try the JRB bridge .. I was getting sea sick when I first got in it and it kept swaying for minutes till I stuck my arm out to stop it.

Beige Chrysalis was better than all those. Still I cut 2" off the head spreader bar and it was better, less tension in the fabric under my head.

New 2011 Apple Green Chrysalis is much more comfy that the first edition and has lighter aluminum spreaders, new suspension, new style camper top with bug screen built in that goes all the way under the body and around. The fabric on the bottom isn't in strips like the first one and has a much flatter lay to it.

Much easier, less fiddle than the first edition. I also have the complete Tropic bug screen that covers everything so the sil camper top isn't necessary if you carry a tarp or camp when there are no bugs around. Also has a double layer bottom if you want to use a pad.

I use a down 3/4 UQ and a full length 3 season and with a bit of mod on the shock cord and 4 mini biners and they fit great.

Here's his brochure. I'm planning on a setup in the trees and will take a bunch of pics.

For me, and I'm a picky guy, for moto or canoe camping this is perfect!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    I have more questions.
    Actually I have one question. Is this deal for the "old" design or for the "2011" design?
    At $99.99 (shipping included) I'm thinking it's gotta be them clearing out old inventory. But I thought I would ask anyway.
    And at $99.99 (shipping included) I'm thinking I gotta at least try it. What the hey... worst case scenario: I mail it back to them.

CORRECTION:
    Shipping is NOT included
    it's $12.95
    total is $112.94
    Im sure its for the older model.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images

Free Shipping Code

This free shipping code was "hidden" earlier in the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mud__Bone View Post
    I found a code that worked for whatever reason, cause it said it was for clothing / footwear, regardless, it works so hear you go, it saved me 12 dollars ship charge .... so if this is what lowers your BUY IT NOW finger, I"m sorry lol

code for free shipping : 3WSPRING

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, exped., chrysalis
    Tarp
    HH Explorer UL XL
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock (so far)

Just ordered it!

For under a hundred bucks with free shipping code "3WSPRING" I couldn't pass it up, especially with the weight reducing mods on the forum, I just had to Hear the thing is crazy comfortable and with the gear storage and light weight setup weighing 1/2 the original weight, what's the harm? If it's too heavy then I have moto/kayack awesomeness!

Danalex, at first I said , oh no... dang... a newer better one.... but then ok

slapped myself to wake up cause I doubt I could buy a 2011 model for 99 bucks to my door. and I will assume if its older version will be a good indicator how the new one feels? or are they really "that" different in feel, marketing spiel pushing a newer version aside

not sure u can answer this as u have have modded the older one, what is the weight difference between them?
    and by that I mean the camper cover i think u called it, the set up that would be most similar to older model with bug protection.

as I said on my first post, my first thought was if I replace those steel spreaders with lighter ones and replace all the strapping I can with amsteel blue, that'd shed a fair amount of weight.

so what the heck I'm going to guess the new one with most similar to original setup, the camper and the .... er what ever the sock noseeum is called. if original is 4 lb 15 oz I'm guessing the new one is 3 lb 8 oz

friggin' sad bunch of hammock gearhead's we are lol

EDIT: just checked this site referenced by danalex's post and this weight listed for the net at 700 grams = 1.54323584 pounds holy smokes, I can't see how they could be making a set up as I talked earlier about, that is inclusive of a pound and and a half bug net.

.. now I'm scrathing my head in hopes you can give us real world full weights on a original vs the new model weights, as stock that is. fingers crossed
    Last edited by Mud__Bone; 03-06-2011 at 20:12.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    You won't find the new one anywhere close to $99

I don't have a scale so can't tell how the new and old compare but I'd say 1 pound less just in the cam buckle suspension changes. I think the suspension is still where you could gain more savings like by changing the strap ridgeline to cord. For the older version change the whole suspension to BB style or Woopies even. The rest of the hammock will have to stay the way is it but you have the options of no top or bug top or full top.

Yes, the bug net is pretty heavy .. and a bit bulky. It encloses the whole outfit so it's a lot of fabric with reinforced points where it contacts the spreader bars and has 4 large velcro patches to attach it to the hammock plus two long and one short zipper so it adds up. This thing is built tough, no babying needed.

This year all the parts are being sold individually so you can buy what you need. If you always carry a tarp the you won't need the Camper Sleeve. If the weather looks good and you want a quick fast setup and tear down then the hammock with Camper Sleeve will give you enough protection. If you have a tarp and it's not cold the Tropic Screen will work fine. No bugs and you won't need the bug screen. Cold, windy weather the Camper Sleeve and a tarp will give ultimate protection like the Clark with Weather Shield.

It's large, comfortable, has storage at the ends, well built and should hold some big guys. If comfort is more important than grams I'd recommend this. Doesn't pack down small like the BB because of the spreader bars but you give here to gain there. Life's a tradeoff. It's the same size as the BA Emerald Mountain tent I used to carry around so no difference to me.

The ridgeline is fixed and the way the whole thing hangs it's impossible to set it up wrong. Tie off to two trees and pull tight, no guessing at the right sag, it's automatic.

If you get the older one the first thing I'd do is get a tubing cutter and take 2" off the spreader bar at the head end. Too tight up there. The new version is much flatter and more comfy.

Here's a website that is a bit mixed up in pictures but it gives the idea.

Basic hammock is $169 CDN

Camper Sleeve is $110

Tropic Screen (now called the Cottage Screen) is $75

http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=14633
    Last edited by Danalex; 03-06-2011 at 21:14.

Easy to drop weight from the older chrysalis just by changinging the suspension and changing out the spreaders for aluminum from Quest. Mods posted here. Comfortable hammock. Haven't seen the new one for sale, even on the helsdonoutdoors.com site. Where did you get yours Danalex?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

I'm in!

Just ordered mine!! Got the free shipping too. Thanks for the code y'all. And I corrected my correction about shipping in my earlier post.

We're kayak campers so I don't care about the weight.

Besides, my wife TOLD me to do it!!

It should be here for the Canaveral hang. I'll give it a back yard test first.

Woo Hooo! More gear!!!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

you are all welcome fir da kowd, and don't forget to thank outandback's sale post that started it all

thx danalex, i didn't get this part though
    the first thing I'd do is get a tubing cutter and take 2" off the spreader bar at the head end. Too tight up there. The new version is much flatter and more comfy.
    u spoke of other bridge hammocks having too much shoulder squeeze, and then make bar shorter? and if new is flatter, would not the original be flatter if NOT cut 2 inches off? mind you I've no real knowledge of how this works just picturing pulling ANY cloth wider and tigher would be flatter. sorry if it seems silly, i'm just trying to understand. .. and how is flatter more comfy then what I see with the girl in original hammock , she don't look flat and that is exactly why i think it looks more comfy.... or are we talking about a "perception" of flat? or what? again, trying to understand, all my hammocks are gathered end. i thihnk i seen a measurement somewhere that shows the head bar is wider then the foot bar.

I should think a bridge hammock would be WAY easier to get a good underquilt seal, if underquilts are you thing that is.

awww the excitement of that near gear anticipation, its an addiction to be sure

thanks again outandback
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Let's move any reviews or comments about products to the appropriate hammock forum. This Forum is solely for the buying and selling of gear.

Thanks very much!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123