GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Looking to go light

So I'm looking to make a first time purchase for a hammock. I've had my eye on the HH hyperlite zip. I don't know about the grand trunk hammocks but I do see they are definatly lighter. Can anybody sort of compare the nano 7 or UL to the hyperlite. What do you do for a a bugnet? Do whoopies work fine? What about overall size of the nano 7 or UL? Like I said it's a first purchase and looking to go light so any advice is welcome.

Images
    I have a HH Explorer and GT Ultralight. The HH hyperlite and GT Nano are too small for me, being 6'2" tall. The GT U is my main go to hammock at present as it is noticeably lighter than the HH. I picked up a bug net sock from Papa Smurf http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...on/bugsock.php that comes in at 1.87 oz! I have whoopies and an adjustable ridgeline on me GT U as well, which help to make it even lighter and easier to set up.

All in all the GT is a lighter, cheaper set up than the HH for my size. If I were around 5'10" or shorter, the Nano would be my definite choice.

As a follow on note, for staying warm and light I've been really enjoying the IX UQ and TQ from http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok Seems to be good down to 40F no problem. The Baby Orca UQ at 8.5 oz and the Light Hiker Bedroll at 14oz, hard to find a lighter set up unless you just use a pad instead of UQ. With IX it's wasy to bump up the insulation for winter time, but nice to stay so light for the other 3 seasons!

Images
    I own a GT ultralight (not the nano) rated at 250 lb. I'm 6'1" and 260 lb and it works well for me in the non-bug months of the year. It packs down to the size of a softball. I replaced the normal GT steel hooks and climbing rope with whoopie sling suspension. Works great and is comfortable.

I own both!HHH (hennessy hammock hyperlite) and the Nano!
    I am 5'9" weight 180lbs, and can tell you that the HHH is much more comfortable and roomier than the Nano, I love both, and have hiked and used both many times! I can get a good diagonal lay with both, but find that my feet are right on the edge on the Nano (ha they fell off one time) and they are not close on the HHHThe Nano was great when I went on a UL hike(had my base weight around 10lbs) now I do own a PapaSmurf bug net so I am able to use mine whenever! Both have whoopies (dynaglide ones in fact)! They both are great hammocks, but to compare them really is not fair they are two totally different hammocks! I also own a GT UL hammock and find that to be much more comfy than the Nano as I can get a more diagonal lay and my feet won't hang over the side!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too own both the HH Hyperlite and the Nano-7. I am also 5'9" and weigh 170 lbs. Yes the HH is a bit more comfortable but that is not to say that the Nano is uncomfortable. I also have dynaglide whoopies on both. I do not have a bug net for the Nano but I also have an older HH Adventure Racer that is almost as light as the Nano would be with bug net and it is the same size. I hardly ever use the Hyperlite as I use the Nano when the bugs are not a problem and the Adventure Racer during bug season. The Hyperlite is used mostly on non hiking trips.

Hammock
    GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks for all the advice! BTW I'm 5'9" and 145 so im a smaller guy. I think the GT UL with the papa smurf net is what I'm gonna try. I just realized what a price differance the nano and UL are. I have a custom summer TQ being made by stormcrow that should come in around 12 oz. I don't have an UQ but I've had my eye on leigh's 3S UQ.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I thinknyou are making a wise decision on a first time purchase. I have the GT UL also. It is a slightly larger version of the Nano and at a lot lower price. A small investment in case you don't like it. Good luck and welcome to the hanging world.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Akers07300ex View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! BTW I'm 5'9" and 145 so im a smaller guy. I think the GT UL with the papa smurf net is what I'm gonna try. I just realized what a price differance the nano and UL are. I have a custom summer TQ being made by stormcrow that should come in around 12 oz. I don't have an UQ but I've had my eye on leigh's 3S UQ.
    I've gotten the GT UL down to 10.75oz by adding 7/64 whoopies and a 1.75 mm ridgeline, but I'm just itching to try one with Dynaglide to see how much lighter we can go. (hint, hint) My BugSock in tulle goes around 1.87oz give or take. Given your size, Dynaglide might work well for you.

Hammock
    GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    So I just puchased a GT UL and 200 ft of dynaglide from amazon(cheapest source of dynaglide I found). Is there any tutorials on how to attach the whoopies to the hammock and then the adjustable ridgeline? I already have 1" polyester straps. I thought I read somewhere about a special way to attach the whoopies. I should have it by the end of the week.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I generally just larkshead the 7/64" whoopie through the channel.

This is only a guess, but...
    You could go through the channel, wrap once or twice around the hammock body and the finish the larkshead. This may help prevent the smalled diameter cord from placing too much stress on the ends of the channel.

I'd start with approx 95" ridgeline, unless you know what your preferance is.
    With the first few GTUL I modded, I found that the ridgeline kept riding up the whoopie and getting tangled when packing. I started looping the ridgeline through the opening in the whoopie before tightening the whoopie. This seems to keep the ridgeline down where it supposed to be.

If this is not clear, I'd be happy to shot a couple photos for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast