Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images

UQ I made today

I had some 1.1 ripstop I bought a while ago from BWDD and been thinking about what I wanted to do with it.

Well I've been carrying around a PE foam piece to shove between my WBBB on colder night but also thought I'd use it during summer months - very small & light. Also works to form a shape on my pack since I took out the alum stays

Instead, I decided to make an UQ that I'm hoping can be used in summer months as well as an addition to my Yeti

Its not done - but ya'll can get the idea. Had to adlib in a few places. The left side I did not finish the pleat yet & just shoved the foam in to get a visual.

I'm thinking I might run shock cord in channels along the side & hang similar to a Yeti. I have a mitten hook attached to the hammock suspension right above the whipping on both ends.

Not sure how low in temps it will go to - will have to lay around a lot & test I'm thinking it will work well in the summer. can always add an extra layer too if needed.

I chose the pockets cause I was having a heck of a time sewing the foam. This was the compromise.

Will take more pics when I finish

Hammock
    DEBATING eno and diy at the moment
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    20° incubator :)
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Keep up the good work
    When life gets you down......make an underquilt!

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    ... I decided to make an UQ...

Its not done - but ya'll can get the idea. Had to adlib in a few places. The left side I did not finish the pleat yet & just shoved the foam in to get a visual.

I'm thinking I might run shock cord in channels along the side & hang similar to a Yeti. I have a mitten hook attached to the hammock suspension right above the whipping on both ends.

Not sure how low in temps it will go to - will have to lay around a lot & test I'm thinking it will work well in the summer. can always add an extra layer too if needed.

I chose the pockets cause I was having a heck of a time sewing the foam. This was the compromise.

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting.
    I have to admit that I can't really get head around what I'm seeing in the picture. Eager to see more.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I had some 1.1 ripstop I bought a while ago from BWDD and been thinking about what I wanted to do with it.

Well I've been carrying around a PE foam piece to shove between my WBBB on colder night but also thought I'd use it during summer months - very small & light. Also works to form a shape on my pack since I took out the alum stays

Instead, I decided to make an UQ that I'm hoping can be used in summer months as well as an addition to my Yeti

Interested in seeing the final result. The pockets should work well to give the foam a little air gap needed.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    rjcress - I added a spacer in the middle to add girth - like a dory boat shape.

hangnout my hopes exactly. when I could not sew the foam - my next best choice was pockets & added pleats as well. poked fine holes in the foam already too with a very tiny ice pick type tool.

I'm running off to a bday party - gonna try to finish within the next few days during this week. will post pics

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    So it is like an under cover with pockets for foam in the middle?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    So it is like an under cover with pockets for foam in the middle?
    correct -the insulation will be at about 48" wide & not sure yet what length I will finish at. However this design gives me options.. to add or remove insulation. it was not intentional - but since it happened that way and the weight is not being affected - I'm actually enjoying having the options.

right now it is at 9ozs in a stuff sack - has almost all the pockets filled with foam -- but 2 pieces & no shock cord for the suspension yet. no plans to use grosgrain

will prob post updates later - darn work is getting in the way this morning

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    correct -the insulation will be at about 48" wide & not sure yet what length I will finish at. However this design gives me options.. to add or remove insulation. it was not intentional - but since it happened that way and the weight is not being affected - I'm actually enjoying having the options.

right now it is at 9ozs in a stuff sack - has almost all the pockets filled with foam -- but 2 pieces & no shock cord for the suspension yet. no plans to use grosgrain

will prob post updates later - darn work is getting in the way this morning

NICE!
    Excellent concept. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    RJ - I just posted the finished project.

Only thing I would do diff with this pattern is the center piece make approx 12" longer & create triangle at the ends to make the 2 side panels taper better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts