Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Resigning from work

I turned in my resignation two days ago. I thought I was going to puke before I could hand it in. I want to do this hike so bad, but something about resigning made it all so finalized. I'm past the point of no return now. There are some major problems at work with the way the department is operating and the staff being abused with the scheduling. I almost wish I didn't feel I was being called to do this hike because I've gotten some really good offers to try and make me stay. I've had to quit six times so far, with six differnt people. It's nice to be wanted, but I feel almost insulted, why didn't they try to keep me happy before things got this far? Maybe I can at least use this as an opportunity to help improve the department for my coworkers.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    isn't that the way it goes so much of the time in the work place.
    i hope you can do & say the right things now to help open eyes before you leave for the hike.
    i know that had to be hard, handing in the resignation.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    T-BACK - I feel ya man. I'm marking days on the calendar before I make it official. The stomach turning, the feeling of being torn in separate directions, the self-questioning of the wisdom in doing this thing, and the other jillion thoughts.

I guess the only thing that helps is to remember how you felt when you decided, or were called, to do the hike. That feeling of absolute resolution and the tingly feeling that causes you to babble endlessly about hiking to people that never leave their back porches. Every time I do that, the churning goes away and I get a renewed sense of focus. A week in the wilderness and you won't even remember why you felt the way you do right now.

Anyhow, it works for me. Stay true to your calling and you'll never go wrong.

Images
    I almost quit with out a resignation this week. I am planning on quitting for school, but I was going to wait until December or May. However, I am getting impatient. I hope I can do a long distant hike next summer, and then maybe a through the summer after that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I just got a new job making good money. As I was telling one of my good friends, who actually hiked the AT back 12 years ago or so, that I was excited because this meant that I may really be able to afford to do my thru in 2010, she laughed. The then said that maybe I should consider working a few more years to have money for retirement. If that person felt obligated to be the 'voice of reason' against quitting and hiking before actual retirement age, I'm sure I'll have many more voices telling me it's a bad idea.

Well, I'm not one to go with the crowd anyway. Funny how when you are young they tell you how bad it is to follow the crowd, how you should make your own decisions, not jump off a cliff just because everyone else is. Then, at some point the advice changes...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    I turned in my resignation two days ago. I thought I was going to puke before I could hand it in. I want to do this hike so bad, but something about resigning made it all so finalized. I'm past the point of no return now. There are some major problems at work with the way the department is operating and the staff being abused with the scheduling. I almost wish I didn't feel I was being called to do this hike because I've gotten some really good offers to try and make me stay. I've had to quit six times so far, with six differnt people. It's nice to be wanted, but I feel almost insulted, why didn't they try to keep me happy before things got this far? Maybe I can at least use this as an opportunity to help improve the department for my coworkers.
    T-Back, you truly believe that you're called to do this hike, so I say more power to you. I'm sorry for the situation where you work and your co-workers have my sympathy. Like you said, hopefully your resignation will help to bring about a change for the better for the colleagues you left behind. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a great hike. I hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I will be the voice of Non reason here: If its a good flexible job that you wish to return to, often they will accept a long-term leave of absence.
    One of my friends has it in his contract that he can take up to 8 weeks off per year. If the job is unsuitable anyway, I would ( and have) just leave.
    Even with that in mind, I once waited to do my big trip. and had the money. had to stay in the job and school,and then I became very very sick.Lost the job which was paying for school because I was ill. My advice is: if you wait you might never get to go, you may regret it. Many many explorers and adventurists talk about people discouraging them. Not Me: go and enjoy.
    Go and feel great about it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tanpuma View Post
    I will be the voice of Non reason here: If its a good flexible job that you wish to return to, often they will accept a long-term leave of absence.
    One of my friends has it in his contract that he can take up to 8 weeks off per year. If the job is unsuitable anyway, I would ( and have) just leave.
    Even with that in mind, I once waited to do my big trip. and had the money. had to stay in the job and school,and then I became very very sick.Lost the job which was paying for school because I was ill. My advice is: if you wait you might never get to go, you may regret it. Many many explorers and adventurists talk about people discouraging them. Not Me: go and enjoy.
    Go and feel great about it.
    Thanks everyone, for the encouraging words. I'm going, God willing and the swamp don't rise . It just amazes me how managers will let you continue to do the impossible with nothing until you burn out. Then they throw all these perks at you and when you say it's too little too late, they try and make you feel like you're the one screwing everybody over. Oh well, I've made up my mind and like you said, this will probably be the only chance I get to do this hike. They won't close the place down if I leave, the wheels will keep grinding along. I'll just have to put up with the attitudes but only for two weeks. Thanks again guys!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    we're with you bro!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    T-Back, don't sweat what others say. That trail has your name all over it. Go get 'em! We're all behind you here at HF!
    Last edited by Hooch; 09-09-2007 at 07:28.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast