Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight Asym
    Suspension
    ENO Slapstrap Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JCINMA View Post
    I think I see what you are saying: you wonder if the waterproof nature of a sleeping bag is enough to negate the effect of the air moving underneath you.

The short answer: it really won't help.

Longer version: from what I can tell, you would still be crushing the insulation, and less loft means more cold. What you could do is put the sleeping bag on the outside of the hammock, pea-pod style. Then, the sleeping bag acts like a cocoon, and the the hammock still bears your weight. That would work in windy situations to provide insulation all-around you.
    Yeaaah that's what I was looking for. Time for some experimentation. I just picked up an ultralight hennessy, so maybe I'll use some of the threads to try my hand at designing an underquilt. These Maryland winters are pretty cold. Nothing Like what you have though, Shug

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybudyo View Post
    Okay so I understand that a sleeping bag doesn't maintain it's heat underneath due to the compression taken on by your body weight, (tried and tested hehe), but I see a lot of heat is lost by the air flow underneath the hammock. My question is. . . would a waterproof or water resistant bag, such as an REI Expedition bag, help any?? I figured if it's waterproof, it's gotta be windproof as well. I've got a -20 degree bag, and hoping to use it in 10+ weather.
    Any input would be great. I haven't seen a thread on the forum asserting this question or asking for experiences yet.
    As others have mentioned your waterproof sleeping bag won't help for your situation. If this is winter weather we are talking about, your best options would including getting an underquilt protector like Shug showed in his picture. 2QZQ sell both a silnylon and breathable version. The better option, IMHO, would be to order the cotton canvas hammock sock from MacEntyre. You can read about its use on the trip report from the Minnesota Freeze your butt off hang back in early January.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12