Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing

1.1 oz Ripstop over the long run

Hi All..

I am new hear to the forums and beginning to look at making my first hammock.

Am planning an AT hike (SOBO) this summer and am a gram watcher. I am 6'5" // 200lbs.

Reading through several old posts, I have found several people in my weight range (or more) using 1.1oz ripstop for their hammocks...but it seemed that most had not had significant use (months of use) that I could find. That being said, I think some of those threads are a few years old.

I am hoping someone could comment on extended use of 1.1oz ripstop nylon or another material that could be appropriate for a ultralight hammock for someone my size.

** I have seen the chart on the Warbonnet site regarding weight limits for the different materials...and also realize that weight estimates for sale-able gear could and probably are conservative.

Thanks in advance!

Images
    my limits are based on comfort, you'll be more comfortable in something like single 1.9 or double 1.1, the single 1.1 would certainly hold your weight.

but if you're looking to go lightweight and willing to give up a little comfort to do so, then the single layer of 1.1 could work fine. obviously certain whipping methods might cause more stress than others, but i think a good quality 1.1, whipped like a bb or a traveler, or even the old cord-wrapped whip method would work fine and i bet it would last the length of the trail no problem assuming you didn't do something to damage the fabric first. i wouldn't run your suspension through an end channel like you see on some brands, not with 1.1 fabric anyway, although that "might" be ok too

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Warbonnetguy,

That adds some clarity and comfort in going with a 1.1oz. I am guessing that the comfort is really in the shoulder squeeze issue.

Thanks for your response and your general contribution to the community. I haven't been around here long, but can see you are one helpful cat.

Images
    more shoulder squeeze...exactly, less flat from head to toe as well, but that can easily be remedied by hanging the head end alot lower

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Warbonnetguy,

That adds some clarity and comfort in going with a 1.1oz. I am guessing that the comfort is really in the shoulder squeeze issue.

Thanks for your response and your general contribution to the community. I haven't been around here long, but can see you are one helpful cat.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Excellent, Thanks.

• + New Posts