2 1/2 season set up??

OK, I am really new to hammock hanging. I want to hike and do overnights from mid April to September, in GA, NC, and SC; the mountains of the area. I am unsure of what I need exactly to keep from freezing. I'd like to get by pretty cheap as I am hiking on a budget. I am leaning towards a gossamer gear hammock pad combined with a wal mart foam pad along with one of those windshield screens or a space blanket as an under pad and a 30 degree or so sleeping bag. Will I be OK in late April and early May in Georgia where night time temps average from 45 to 55? I am really worried about freezing as I sleep a little cold anyway. I'd hate for my first experience Hammock Camping to be a bad one. Thanks!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    You should be fine with that set-up in those temps. One thing I would suggest is getting a Speer SPE. It will not only help keep your pads together but add important side protection with the wings. www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm Unless you were thinking of getting one of the wider Gossamer pads. That would work. I personally wouldn't want to try and keep 2 or more pads together. Some around here have used glue to bond the pads together. As always, test at or near home. Plan for temps to be at least 15° colder than they will be. Of course take the appropriate amount of clothing, thermals, etc. as this will help to extend your range.
    Good articles on staying warm www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Warm.htm
    www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 01-22-2008 at 00:36.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images
    If you are on a budget, I first started out with making an undercover with a us-army poncho, using a BigRig sun/window reflector as an insulator. With a 35F bag, I have with comfort gotten down to 40F. I have used this setup with an ENO double and an HH.

Now using A Big Agnes lost ranger with us army thermarest pad, and easily hit 30f with comfort.
    I trust everyone, it is the devil in side them i dont trust.
    (Sua Sponte)

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    You can get by with a regular pad (3/8") to those temps. The SPE will help get the insulation up on the sides where you need it, and help to keep the pad under you as well. I would stay away from the reflector type stuff, most people don't use it anymore and it is just another complication for not much benefit.

When I use the SPE I put a layer of fleece on top (just started testing this actually) for a whicking layer and it seems to be better for me. I don't have as much of a problem with back condensation as others, but the fleece does make it more comfortable and less slippery.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

10-4, I'm getting some great ideas here. Too bad the local army surplus stores around here seem to have closed down. I'll have to venture a little further out perhaps to find some of this army stuff.

And yes, I was thinking of the wider gossamer gear pads, coupled with one of those Target wide pads they say Target has.

• + New Posts