Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    I got the idea from your previous post on the subject
    That is an amazing colour! What is it?

I have read and watched all I can find about this mod, but I can't figure out how far from the hammock end to begin. Knotty, it looks as if you start about 2 - 2.5 feet from the end; is that right?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz23 View Post
    I have read and watched all I can find about this mod, but I can't figure out how far from the hammock end to begin. Knotty, it looks as if you start about 2 - 2.5 feet from the end; is that right?
    If you are uncertain, then consider the following method, which is how I approach these sorts of mods;

Hang your hammock.
    Get in your hammock.
    Get comfy, find that sweet spot.
    Have a friend with you.

Take a look at your feet, look at the hammock edge and have your friend gather some of the fabric in each hand and approximate the mod. Ask them to move their hand closer to the end of the hammock and notice the change it makes in the pocket. Ask them to move the other hand closer to the middle of the hammock and notice how much or how little that matters. Once you find what seems to make sense for you, have the friend mark each spot.

The good news is, you can make this mod, and then change it. All we're talking about is creating a hole in the fabric. If you wind up dissatisfied with the location, make another hold further up or further down and extend the shock cord.

Final point, how far from the end you start has a lot to do with the actual length of the hammock. I'm in a phase where all my hammocks are 11'6" to 12' in length so the Knotty mod is much further down. On the 10' length hammocks, less, closer to what you have suggested.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    As the weather gets cooler, I am opting to tie back the integral bug on my WB BB. This makes the head-end side material floppy and quite annoying.

I am wondering if the Knotty Mod will remedy the floppy side when the bug net is not in use. If so, is the mod best done at the head or foot end?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HH
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Your a thinker Knotty! That is a top-notch mod and really makes sense....makes a terrific footbox.
    Love those low-tone chimes as well.
    Shug
    Oh wow Shug. The light bulb went on as I suddenly imagined a similar sounding, soft beacon, gently calling from my little patch of woods, dependent upon the breeze. Like poetry in motion eh. Thank you Shug for flicking on the switch for me this morning. LarryB
    LarryBourgeois - Outdoorsy Guy

http://larrybourgeois.blogspot.ca/

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    And now I know the rest of the story... I've been enjoying my HalfWit from Dutch for about 6 months and played with the Knotty mod adjustment for sweet sleeping perfection. Didn't realize the origin and naming system. Kinda like Rudolph, you'll go down in history. Thanks for sharing the concept. Tato

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Hey Knotty, Thanks for the help. Question. Has anyone done a Knotty Mod with a opening between layers? I'd like to try this because I'd like to use my air mattress instead of an underquilt. The options seem to be:
    1. Knotty mod across the opening, running the shock cord through the seam of only one layer, and then adding a bit of velcro just to keep the loose fabric in place. (The velcro hooks-n-loops doesn't have to be perfectly aligned or handle any tension)
    2. Run two pieces of shock cord through the seams on either side of the opening. But again cross the opening and use one cord-lock. and I understand that the purpose of the Knotty Mod aka Stretch Side Hammock, is to keep the sides up and neat.
    Thanks all.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillUpnDown View Post
    Hey Knotty, Thanks for the help. Question. Has anyone done a Knotty Mod with a opening between layers? I'd like to try this because I'd like to use my air mattress instead of an underquilt. The options seem to be:
    1. Knotty mod across the opening, running the shock cord through the seam of only one layer, and then adding a bit of velcro just to keep the loose fabric in place. (The velcro hooks-n-loops doesn't have to be perfectly aligned or handle any tension)
    2. Run two pieces of shock cord through the seams on either side of the opening. But again cross the opening and use one cord-lock. and I understand that the purpose of the Knotty Mod aka Stretch Side Hammock, is to keep the sides up and neat.
    Thanks all.
    Any of the DL hammocks I have seen/used have only a small section of the layers open, and not sewn together, through which you slip your pad. The majority of the edge seams on both layers are sewn and it's here that you would put the Knotty mod.. Is this not the case in your hammock?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    This sounds like a good idea, but I have a couple of questions: Why just 2 sections and if 2, why on opposite ends?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    This sounds like a good idea, but I have a couple of questions: Why just 2 sections and if 2, why on opposite ends?
    Head/shoulder box on one side, foot box on the other.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast