DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Terrific!
    Look forward to hearing more results as I have not gotten on the IX boat as of yet.
    You do mighty fine work!!!!!!
    Shug
    Thanks Shug.
    Thats the magic of the digital camera
    I try not to zoom in enough that anyone can see my wavy stitches.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    Also wondering if the vent makes your feet cold. . .

SN
    Yeah, me too. Hope to test tonight. Forecast says low tonight will be 31*F.
    Next option is Weds. night and it is only forecast for 52*F.
    OMG!
    Did I really just say that I'm hoping to get out on the BELOW freezing night instead of the warmer one?
    Do you see what these hammocks are doing to me? Do you?!

Debating going IX only with the IX 3/4 length UQ paired with the TQ, or adding additional layers.
    Likely to carry the fleece TQ and have it in the shelf on the FrankenBird in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    Can you also give any more info on the non-ripstop nylon that you used on the inside?

Not sure what BWDD is either. . .

Thanks again,

SN
    BWDD = http://backwoodsdaydreamer.com/
    The nylon for the inside is a fashion type of fabric, not an outdoor fabric.
    I got it on clearance at WallyWorld a couple of months ago and they use a generic label on all of their clearance fabrics, so I don't have any additional info on it.
    Actually, come to think of it, not even positive it is Nylon.
    I used it because it is much softer and feels better against skin vs Ripstop.
    No reason ripstop couldn't be used. Might be lighter, might not. I don't know exactly how much my liner fabric weighs.

Oh, that just gave me a thought.
    I've seen at Hancock and JoAnn fabrics some very light, thin fabrics that they call "liner" fabrics. They appear to be even lighter than 1.1 Ripstop.
    I think I'll check those out for future use like this on the inside of something that will be against skin.
    Last edited by rjcress; 03-07-2011 at 14:27.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    what was the temp the night your tried your out ?
    I didn't finish the first version of the prototype until about 1:30am, so I used it inside.
    I only let me house get down to about 56*F overnight, but I used it wearing just my boxers and was very warm. I was actually surprised how warm I was.
    Sealing up the sides with the draft tubes and and collar area with draft tube and drawstring makes a HUGE difference, IMHO.

Images
    Looks pretty darn nice to me! Excellent work!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    I agree, very nice work!
    Unfortunately, I finished my 2 layer IX top quilt last night with the simple drawstring footbox. It was so late that I didn't even try it out! Oh well, that's why they sell seam rippers
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I agree, very nice work!
    Unfortunately, I finished my 2 layer IX top quilt last night with the simple drawstring footbox. It was so late that I didn't even try it out! Oh well, that's why they sell seam rippers
    Thanks!
    The drawstring might work for you.
    MacEntyre makes his TQs with the conical foot end. I think he just doesn't slide down as far into his as I was sliding... which I had to do because of the length of my prototype. If it were longer I could have stayed "higher" in the TQ and maybe the drawstring would have worked better for me. As with most designs, if used as the designer intended, the result is generally better than if used in a way the designer did not intend.
    Throw in a dose of personal preference and you never know what any given person will decide works best for them.
    I'd definitely recommend at least sleeping in it in your bed to see how it fits before performing surgery.

I'm about to head outside to test my prototype.
    Y'all wish me luck.
    I have high hopes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Field test report:
    Every time I woke up last night I looked at the temperature.
    Here is how the TQ performed last night:
    Temp *F "I felt..."
    46 Toasty
    40 Warm
    36 OK, but starting to get cool
    34 Getting chilly, added fleece liner TQ
    34 Toasty with fleece
    26 Ok, but starting to get cool
    25 OK, but just barely, except for my toes

Although the weather forecast called for a low of 31*F, it dropped below freezing around midnight and continued to fall through morning, bottoming at 25 around 4:30.

My toes were fine when I added the fleece at 34*F. I go toasty with the fleece (which I pulled up over my head, since I forgot my hat) and slept for several hours without waking. When I woke at 26* my toes were getting chilly. When I woke at 25* my toes were just plain cold.
    The hole in the footbox for the vent is about 2.5" in diameter, and the vent drawstring was closed. I'll think about other options for venting the footbox that may not require having an area that is covered in cloth, but not insulated. Maybe a slit that overlaps and is secured with velcro, but can be rolled back and secured to another piece of velcro to secure it open when venting is needed.
    Anyone have ideas on this?
    In fairness, my toes get cold even when sleeping in my bed. Not anywhere as cold as they did last night, but I have always had trouble keeping my feet warm. I can't blame it all on the TQ.

I had no condensation issues and never felt sweaty, clammy, or moist at all.

MacEntyre reported many moons ago these temp ranges for UnderQuilts:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The first layer could get you as low as 45... nesting the second layer with it could get you as low as 32.

I have hung in 8*F with four or five layers, using hte IX Hammock Sock as the outer layer.

Also, it depends on what you have on top. Too little on top will make you feel cold below.

- MacEntyre
    Looks like the ranges for TQs are somewhat similar, although the TQ seems to have a narrower comfort range.

Other variables:
    I was in my FrankenBird WBBB clone with a single layer polyester taffeta body.
    Under my 1.9oz sil DIY Ogee tarp, pitched fairly low over the ridgeline
    There was very little wind.
    Under the hammock was my 3 layer IX UQ.
    I wore REI performance fleece pants and a similar top over an Underarmour-type longs sleeve shirt. Cotton athletic ankle socks.
    I forgot my stocking cap, and was too lazy to go back in the house to get it. I think this was a big mistake. As cold as my head got, I really think that it impacted the temp ranges that I reported above.
    I did not use any chemical heaters or hot water bottles.

With all of that said, I consider this TQ to be good by itself to 40*F, maybe a couple degrees less with a hat.
    Adding the fleece TQ nested inside is good for another 10-12*F, taking this combo below freezing.
    I think I would have still been fine at 25*F with a hat, not withstanding the cold toes.
    Being able to cinch it around my shoulders, and having the draft tubes to wrap under me felt like they made a bid difference.

Oh, almost forgot... the last 2 hours I slept on my side.
    Wanted to test 2 things:
    1) How well the TQ worked with side sleeping. I appreciated the extra width here, as it worked fine.
    2) If curling up a bit would pull my feet back over the UQ and help warm them up. I think my feet were already too cold at this point for bringing them back over the UQ to help.

Overall, I consider this TQ to be a success. I see others posting that they are making 2 layer IX TQs as summer TQs. My "summer" TQ nested with my fleece TQ get me to freezing. By itself the IX TQ gets me well into the shoulder seasons. I was hoping to get to about 45* with the TQ alone and about 38* with the fleece added. To be able to go 10* lower in each configuration feels like a big win.

Now I just have to figure out how to make them quicker, as this one took many, many more hours than I thought it would.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Great job with your review! Very well documented.
    Thanks for all your hard work.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    Excellent report! Thanks for al the useful data!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Excellent report. This is all good news as I want a fleece/IX TQ and to see how low you can go is very promising. Thanks for do'n the "lab" work.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes