ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

GA Pinhoti - first trip with a hammock

It's been a couple of years since my last trip so I was really excited about this trip. Went with a couple of friends for a short 2 1/2 day trek on the Ga Pinhoti.

We dropped cars at the start (Pilcher's Pond parking area), middle (sorta - Snake Creek Gap trailhead) and end (Dug Gap trailhead). Leaving a car at Snake Creek Gap was a smart decision since it allowed us to cache food, water, gear.

I was a little nervous going into this trip since it is a remote area and it was my first tentless trip. I'd spent several nights in the ENO but only in the backyard.

The hike to Pilcher's Pond is a short, easy hike and we set up camp just before dark on Thursday. There were plenty of trees and the DN and Big mamajamba went up beautifully. The first night on the trail was great - slept like a baby. Two CCF pads stacked in a tight "V" gave me plenty of insulation as temps got down to the low 40's. The Wally World mummy bag kept things toasty.

Friday was a tough but fun 13 miles of hiking. We summited Horn Mtn, Mill Creek Mtn, and Middle Mtn and spent most of the day descending into and climbing out of various coves along the GPT. Great views and great weather and 3 very tired hikers rolled into camp around 5pm on top of Middle Mtn.

Between fatigue and the whipping wind, I think I set my tarp up wrong. I never could get it completely taut on both sides and the tarp stayed about 12 inches above my face all night. Friday night brought more wind and lots of rain. No leakage to speak of however as temps dropped to the high 30's, there was a bit of condensation that dripped onto my face as the rain drops pounded the other side of the tarp.

Saturday AM, the misty rain continued until around 9:30. As we sat under our shelters, several mountain bikers flew by - each with a race bib and number attached to their bikes....our excellent sense of deductive reasoning and my Iphone helped us to determine that we were in the middle of the Snake Creek Gap Time Trials. Nothing like sharing the trail with 300 mountain bikers! Lots of walk, walk, sidestep of the trail, repeat, repeat, repeat. The highlight was seeing a trailrunner with a very small kids bike strapped to his back running down the trail - hey, the rules don't say you actually have to RIDE the bike.

Our 9 mile day on Saturday ended with a climb up Dug Mtn on a stretch of trail known as "The Wall"....and it definitely lived up to the name! After climbing The Wall, we descended into Dug Gap just outside of Dalton and hightailed it to Los Pablos for some guacamole, salsa, and enchiladas.

All in all, a fun trip. I still have a lot to learn about hammocking and am looking forward to many more miles and nights hanging 'tween the trees. Thanks for indulging me and reading this far.....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Glad you had a good time.

My friend Hetairoi and I were one section south of you this weekend (we hiked Strawberry Mountain, and Johns Mountain).

Saturday night's weather was much much rougher. Keown Falls was really booming on Sunday, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    great trip report awestberry!

Exactly where I'm going to do a little scouting this thurs for the 26-27MAr Weekend

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Start at the Snake Creek Gap and head NOBO about 5 1/2 miles. There is a great place to camp alongside Swamp Creek. Plenty of water, fire ring and lots of trees! Swamp Creek is the only reliable water source on between Pilcher's Pond and Dug Gap besides England Spring which is further north and off the Pinhoti about 1.7 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    great trip report awestberry!

Exactly where I'm going to do a little scouting this thurs for the 26-27MAr Weekend

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Did you run into the mountain bikers? The 17 mile race started at Snake Creek Gap and the 34 mile race started somewhere 17 miles back up the trail.

Im glad we were off the trail Saturday night...the weather looked pretty rough. Glad y'all survived it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Glad you had a good time.

My friend Hetairoi and I were one section south of you this weekend (we hiked Strawberry Mountain, and Johns Mountain).

Saturday night's weather was much much rougher. Keown Falls was really booming on Sunday, though.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awestberry View Post
    Did you run into the mountain bikers?
    No, but we saw tracks on the trail over Johns mountain. They must have passed through that section on Saturday before we got to it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts