DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    For those who bought them at 19.95: Are you happy with your purchase? I like the idea of having an extra tarp around for car camping or if somebody in my group needs a loaner.

Worth it?

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    For those who bought them at 19.95: Are you happy with your purchase? I like the idea of having an extra tarp around for car camping or if somebody in my group needs a loaner.

Worth it?
    VERY worth it. Got mine and the workmanship looks great. Very big and yes i am going to put the 2 extra tieouts on so i can "winter" hang it. I don't think you will be dissipointed with this purchase. And i paid $26 for mine and am still very happy.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I got em while they were $19.95. To make a long story short, you can't buy the fabric for that, so I'm more than happy with them. I got 3, and they are great.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Nice pitch

Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    Here's another shot, this one in porch mode:

Jackleberry, that's a nice looking pitch. I'm definitely going to use that or some variation with mine. I made a tarp with some $2.50/yd material and with homemade bias tape I had at least $25 and a ton of time in that one. I wish I had bought more than one.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any idea how hard it would be to "cat cut" it for that winter pitch with the doors. I assume you remove a "pointy oval" from it along the ridge to cat cut it.

She isn't all jazzed at the thought of cutting it and sewing it. I will have to convince her to sew the tie straps on but that is no big deal.

So the question has been asked are you happy with your purchase. My answer is, "Yes, but." Yes, it is great value for the money no doubt about it. Is it something I would like to hang under all the time? No, not by a long shot. It is clearly not designed as a hammock tarp but can fit the bill if pressed into duty. And it is a great shelter and pretty versatile. The phrase "Jack of all trades and master of none" comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Any idea how hard it would be to "cat cut" it for that winter pitch with the doors. I assume you remove a "pointy oval" from it along the ridge to cat cut it.

She isn't all jazzed at the thought of cutting it and sewing it. I will have to convince her to sew the tie straps on but that is no big deal.

So the question has been asked are you happy with your purchase. My answer is, "Yes, but." Yes, it is great value for the money no doubt about it. Is it something I would like to hang under all the time? No, not by a long shot. It is clearly not designed as a hammock tarp but can fit the bill if pressed into duty. And it is a great shelter and pretty versatile. The phrase "Jack of all trades and master of none" comes to mind.

This tarp is very slightly cat cut. I don't see any reason why it would need to be cat cut any deeper. It's PU coated nylon, not silnylon, so it doesn't stretch quite as much when wet.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    This tarp is very slightly cat cut. I don't see any reason why it would need to be cat cut any deeper. It's PU coated nylon, not silnylon, so it doesn't stretch quite as much when wet.
    I wouldn't think it would be cat cut along the ridge that we are talking about hanging it along since it was not designed to do so.

Perhaps I do not understand what all "cat cut" pertains to either as I only have experience with the Hennesy Hex. It can be tightened down with guylines to form a very tight and taut ridge with no flap. Looking at the pics I am seeing some loose fabric that would have the potential to sing in the breeze.
    Last edited by smashdn; 03-22-2011 at 16:53.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    For those who bought them at 19.95: Are you happy with your purchase?...
    Worth it?
    Absolutely!
    I've made all of my other tarps, so I've seen first hand what it takes to put one together.
    They've definitely taken about every short cut available in assembling this thing.
    The tie out points are somewhat crudely attached and the loops are attached with a single bar tack at the end on each side. Definitely not how I do it when I'm making a tarp.
    However, it appears to be put together well enough for light to moderate use.
    The body seems well constructed, it is just the tie outs that I'm concerned with. If I were going to use it for weeks at a time, or in high wind conditions, I'd reinforce the loops on the tie outs.

The fabric is very lightly coated, such that I can't even feel the coating.
    What I had in mind when I read it was coated was a thin, opaque layer of waterproofing material on the bottom side.

Where it really shines is when the center tie out points are added along opposite edges so that it can be pitched in winter mode with full doors.
    Wow!

I"m also looking forward to pitching it in "Honeymoon suite" mode so that more than one hammock can be hung under it.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    40* TQ, 20* Zeppli
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    still 19.97 on this page. BOF has 2 listings for them. http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=328267
    Live for today, Prep for tomorrow.
    Pack and Paddle Events Page
    SBJ Outdoor Concepts

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast