Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

tarp selection for a newbie

HI guys,
    New to hammocks and these boards,
    I am comparing the maccat deluxe to the mamajamba. Is there any other tarps I should be looking at for full 3 season( Apil-Oct) coverage? I am a cold sleeper and like bigger tarps for shade, rain and family camping along with wind protection. I was looking at Sil but open to any ideas. How do you keep the rain out in a storm?

maccat Del. is 130x104 and 13.1 oz 115.00
    no extra side tie outs. 5 bucks more per tie out. plus 16$ more for 4x panel pull outs.

Bigmamajamba 132x120 14oz 95.00 with panel pulls not sure how many come with it.

Any thoughts

thanks, Matt

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Get the OES.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've got both tarps you mention. Both in Spinn instead of sil-nylon. Love both.

I like the finish of the OES tarp better - edging and tie-outs. I like the cut of the WB tarp better - not as drastic cat cuts = more coverage.

If I had to replace my OES, I'd buy another OES. If I had to replace my WB, I'd buy another WB.

WB BMJ on left, OES Deluxe on right, both hung over Blackbirds.

You cannot go wrong with either tarp. I'm also intrigued by the Gargoyle Gear Mega Ogee tarp. May have to try that out sometime.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Do you car camp or backpack? I you only car camp, you can buy large (heavy) tarps pretty cheap. If you backpack, you can buy tarps made of exotic materials that defy gravity, plus the fact that you won't have any money left to weigh you down

I'd say that both the tarps you mentioned represent good compromises in the middle ground.

It really comes down to use and priorities. And let's face it, before it's all over, you'll have a quiver full of tarps
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I just went through the same quandry as you did between the OES Deluxe and Mamajamba but in the Spinn flavors. I started out leaning towards the Maccat. From what I've read on here the consensus seems to be that you cant go wrong. The main difference I've found is that the Mamajamba reaches farther down on the sides. I ended up ordering the Mamajamba with panel pulls for that bit of extra coverage cause I'm going to have a dog down there.

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Do you car camp or backpack? I you only car camp, you can buy large (heavy) tarps pretty cheap. If you backpack, you can buy tarps made of exotic materials that defy gravity, plus the fact that you won't have any money left to weigh you down

I'd say that both the tarps you mentioned represent good compromises in the middle ground.

It really comes down to use and priorities. And let's face it, before it's all over, you'll have a quiver full of tarps

I do both backpack and car camp so looking for something to handle both. The UL spin seems expensive for the little weight savings same with cuben. Is the sil completely water proof during a heavy rain storm? I have heard sil stretches?

I am looking to get my first real hammock a WBBB soon for this tarp setup. I seen a couple on my first hammock hang that had the deluxe and he slept next to his wife in complete protection under one tarp. it was the deluxe with extra tie outs added.
    Last edited by tritan; 03-09-2011 at 22:23.

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    I just went through the same quandry as you did between the OES Deluxe and Mamajamba but in the Spinn flavors. I started out leaning towards the Maccat. From what I've read on here the consensus seems to be that you cant go wrong. The main difference I've found is that the Mamajamba reaches farther down on the sides. I ended up ordering the Mamajamba with panel pulls for that bit of extra coverage cause I'm going to have a dog down there.
    doesn't the panel pulls come standard for price or did you have to pay extra? Why did you go Spinn ? Is it that much lighter and rain proof?

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tarps.shtml so do I have this right a 130x104 is around 10.8x8.6ft size which the closes to that at zpack is 230.00 at 10x8 retangle and only weights 5.2 oz!!!! WOW. 230 bucks. I guess other then cost what are the insights of the materials? sil vs spinn vs cuben?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cuben packs down much smaller.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Silnylon is plenty waterproof for our purposes as long as you get your tarp from a reputable dealer. You will need to add tensioners on the guy lines to account for the stretch, but that can be a simple as a loop of shock cord.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast