Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200

Is the Weathershield Worth the Weight?

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who posts. This forum has helped me a lot. I will buy my first hammock this spring after years of thinking about it. I had a lot of questions, and you answered many of them. Also thanks to the Web sites that detail hammocking (Just Jeff I know participates here, and there are others). I'm psyched to hang.

I asked Clark Outdoors some product questions that I want to share with you:

Q: How much weight does the weathershield add to the tropical model?
    A: The WeatherShield adds about 5 oz. to the Tropical model. This weight mainly comes from its separate set of zippers.

Q: Is the weathershield on the tropical model detachable so I can leave it at home when the weather is warm and dry?
    A: The WeatherShield only unzips to the bottom of the hammock and stores in pockets there, but it does not detach from the hammock. We've thought about making a detachable WeatherShield, but for various reasons it is not practical.

Q: Can models without the weathershield be used as a chair or does the weathershield act like the seat back of a chair?
    A: Every hammock can be used like a chair even without weathershield. The netting is strong enough to make a back rest since most of your weight is taken by the base material.

Q: The head end of the tropical can be raised and lowered over netting -- how does it say in place when it's up?
    A: The nylon hood on the Tropical stays up with velcro. It's not intended to seal shut, but only keep random blowing drops of rain out in a serious storm.

So you see I'm weighing the usefulness of the weatheshield, which is optional in the Tropical model. I could just buy the NA and not worry about the velcro-attached hood leaking.

My question for the group: Is the weathershield useful and practical? Clark is the only hammock with it and I'm not sure if it's worth the 5 oz and $40.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    GoLite 10 x 12
    Insulation
    Mtn Hardwear Pad
    Images
    If you are going to be doing any camping in lower temps then I would say yes. It really does help hold in the heat without hardly any condensation issues.

I would also say yes, but then again I'm from Canada and I hang in cold weather more often. For me it works great.

I did change around my set up a bit after I bought the NA. Suspension system, fly. normal things. I would recommend NOT springing for the XL fly because you'll probably just end up up grading to a larger fly (speers, jrb, mec). they will offer more protection in the end.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    5 oz weather shield is really not all that much and if you can store it away in a pocket for uses later why worrie. I have the N/A and I have been to 7 degress with out wind chill more on that later and I can not think of not having a weather shield. I did'nt dream that it would retain that much heat but it does for that matter the bug sheild holds heat in as well but not to those temps. If your in warmer area of the world then the weather shield helps in the rain as much as it does in the cold. I have had some real bad storms on me this year and would not want to be out in one with driving rain
    like we had with out it. the Clark has the ability to transform into a cacoon with the (tarp) rain fly down all the way and velcroed up but I beleive that with out the weather sheild the rain would have found away to leach in on me with 40-60 mile hour winds and I stayed dry as can be although a tad bit
    of sea sickness was my only problem.

As for the sheild coming off I do to some degree wish you could take it off
    but then it would not be there when I needed it or I would forget it at home
    and find out later I needed it so just putting it in it's pocket is just as easy.

They told you right about sitting in the hammock like a chair no questions there it works fine with just the bug net.

Hope this helped

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Hi all. Thanks to everyone who posts. This forum has helped me a lot. I will buy my first hammock this spring after years of thinking about it. I had a lot of questions, and you answered many of them. Also thanks to the Web sites that detail hammocking (Just Jeff I know participates here, and there are others). I'm psyched to hang.

I asked Clark Outdoors some product questions that I want to share with you:

A: The WeatherShield adds about 5 oz. to the Tropical model. This weight mainly comes from its separate set of zippers.

Q: Is the weathershield on the tropical model detachable so I can leave it at home when the weather is warm and dry?
    A: The WeatherShield only unzips to the bottom of the hammock and stores in pockets there, but it does not detach from the hammock. We've thought about making a detachable WeatherShield, but for various reasons it is not practical.

Q: Can models without the weathershield be used as a chair or does the weathershield act like the seat back of a chair?
    A: Every hammock can be used like a chair even without weathershield. The netting is strong enough to make a back rest since most of your weight is taken by the base material.

Q: The head end of the tropical can be raised and lowered over netting -- how does it say in place when it's up?
    A: The nylon hood on the Tropical stays up with velcro. It's not intended to seal shut, but only keep random blowing drops of rain out in a serious storm.

So you see I'm weighing the usefulness of the weatheshield, which is optional in the Tropical model. I could just buy the NA and not worry about the velcro-attached hood leaking.

My question for the group: Is the weathershield useful and practical? Clark is the only hammock with it and I'm not sure if it's worth the 5 oz and $40.

Not to take anyone away from this forum but there is another forum over on yahoo just for CLARK HAMMOCKS here is the link

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Clark-Hammocks/

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    GoLite 10 x 12
    Insulation
    Mtn Hardwear Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piinkpirate View Post
    I would also say yes, but then again I'm from Canada and I hang in cold weather more often. For me it works great.

I did change around my set up a bit after I bought the NA. Suspension system, fly. normal things. I would recommend NOT springing for the XL fly because you'll probably just end up up grading to a larger fly (speers, jrb, mec). they will offer more protection in the end.
    I sprung for the XL fly and I agree. I too have upgraded to a larger fly (a 10'x12' golite silnylon tarp) and feel like I have more coverage from the elements and pitching options than I did with the Clark fly.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahfan View Post
    I sprung for the XL fly and I agree. I too have upgraded to a larger fly (a 10'x12' golite silnylon tarp) and feel like I have more coverage from the elements and pitching options than I did with the Clark fly.
    What is it about the XL fly that made you upgrade to another? Is it that the XL didn't provide protection for the hammock or that you needed more cover for cooking, etc. or was it something else?

To cavediver2 -- You are a proponent of the XL? I've read your posts that say you use it.
    Last edited by Three; 01-24-2008 at 12:20.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    GoLite 10 x 12
    Insulation
    Mtn Hardwear Pad
    Images
    I used the XL with no major issues for 2 yrs. I felt that the XL fly was just long enough to cover both ends of the hammock. Side coverage is fine with the XL.
    I had been carrying the tarp and setting it up as a dry area to cook under, etc. I just decided to integrate that tarp with the hammock to save weight and get better coverage and have more pitching options in foul weather/winter.
    The Clark XL fly provides better coverage than the standard( I regularly camp with two other Clark owners who have standard flys and the XL has alot more side coverage). The XL will work fine for you and I recommend it vs the standard fly, but down the road you may look at something more versatile.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I come from the other side thinking it is not worth the weight since you can set the tarp in storm mode and accomplish pretty much the same effect. The Clark set up in storm mode is basically the same concept as tent with the netting allow moisture to escape. Just make sure to keep some space between the netting and fly.

The tropical is longer than the UL and that would be the biggest reason to buy it if you are over 5'10". I would not worry about the endcap either.

I have used a Clark for the last 8 years with a pad and just tried an underquilt with my UL. I realized I had never been really warm on the bottom with the pad only. If you go with an UQ the stock tarp probably is not enough protection for the UQ. If you just use the pad the stock tarp or XL will keep you dry.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    GoLite 10 x 12
    Insulation
    Mtn Hardwear Pad
    Images
    HANGnOUT-The underquilt was noticeably warmer? I too have been using pads and honestly I just found out about underquilts after joining the forum. Since then I have been curious about how much of a difference they make. Any insight would be appreciated as I' ve been leaning towards a underquilt as my next purchase.