Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

A -12o Minnesota Winter Hammock Slumber Last Night

Hello All Interested Hanging Types,
    As I was dinking around the backyard last night with a full moon beaming it's moon-rays into my beanie covered noggin' .... the notion to string up the hammock overwhelmed any rational thoughts I may have had at that moment.
    The thermometer was at -3o at 9:30PM. Why not slumber in the chill?
    I hung my diy hammock, diy UQ, diy BlackCat tarp w/ end-flaps, SPE with a blue CCF pad from REI and a BA insulated mat partially inflated, REI Sub-Kilo 0o bag and diy hammock sock (to be deployed later if needed).
    Goofed around in the backyard until about 11:30PM and crawled in at about -6o at that time. I wore as follows: pair of Possum Down socks, VB socks over those then Smartwool expedition wool socks. Slept with JRB down sleeves over my footwear in the bag. Did not get cold feet at all. As well I did have the hammock sock pulled to about knee level just to see if that helped. Think that it did give that extra bit of protection.
    Wore on legs my REI mid weight polypro underwear, a pair of thin fleece leggings and Mont Bell Thermawrap pants over that. Splendid combination and I was warm.
    Torso was enclosed in Smartwool Mid-weight top, thin 100 weight fleece shirt, Golite Wisp wind shirt, Mont Bell short sleeve down shirt/vest, 200 weight fleece top from Campmor and a down parka over all of that. Fleece wrist warmers and slept in Manzella thin stretch gloves. Basically I sleep in my entire winter clothing minus rain pants and jacket. They are for that next level of cold to add if needed. Did not need put them on last night.
    By the way, I was well fed and had a hot drink before sleep.
    My head was covered in REI polypro balaclava (my favorite), 300 weight fleece beanie and my parka hood. I added a fleece facemask at around 4:00AM as it was -12o at that point and my nose was c-c-cold. Also, I got up to whoo-whoo and when I crawled back in I pulled the hammock sock up to my neck and closed it off. I feel that really helped in that time of night when the cold tends to catch up with you. No condensation in the hammock sock. Yes!
    Seeing that I slept until 8:00AM no need to tell you all that I was warm and comfortable and did not want to get out of the hammock. But do any of us hangers ever want to egress the hammock cocoon?? The cold never got me underneath and for that I am happy. I am really pleased to know that I/We can sleep out in frigid winter conditions in our favorite sleeping/camping style. Starting to feel like I am getting a good and safe system dialed in for this Minnesota type of cold.
    That is my report. If you cannot get to the woods then hang 'er in the backyard and test, test and test.
    Just chillin.......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Keep up the good work Shug; soon the ground dwellers will run out of excuses to get off the ground!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Gonna have to change your trail name from Shug to "Legend!" It's inspiring to learn from the masters on this forum.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ohhhh Happy Camper, I am no master! Just having a wee bit of fun and trying all the ideas that I have learned on these forums........
    Oh yeah,
    Shug

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    another great report shug! encouraging!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

I'm glad to see someone making good use of our cold snap

Having worked the night shift for the last 7 nights and having duties outside to tend (monitoring icing on the cooling tower). I have been glad to finish and return to the warm plant. You have inspired a fellow minnesotan to get off his duff and put together a winter kit.
    Last night was very beautiful with a Hunters moon and light steady breeze. I dare say you might be understating the temperature a bit. We monitor the temperature at 3 seperate locations around the power plant and we had an average of -14 F. I am roughly 100 miles south of your location. MPR stated -31 F for a low at Cook, -15 in the metro area and -14 in my area.
    Once again you are an inspiration Shug. My vehicle just groaned every morning for the last week when I asked it to start and you are sleeping out in this stuff. Truly an inspiration!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steene View Post
    Having worked the night shift for the last 7 nights and having duties outside to tend (monitoring icing on the cooling tower). I have been glad to finish and return to the warm plant. You have inspired a fellow minnesotan to get off his duff and put together a winter kit.
    Last night was very beautiful with a Hunters moon and light steady breeze. I dare say you might be understating the temperature a bit. We monitor the temperature at 3 seperate locations around the power plant and we had an average of -14 F. I am roughly 100 miles south of your location. MPR stated -31 F for a low at Cook, -15 in the metro area and -14 in my area.
    Once again you are an inspiration Shug. My vehicle just groaned every morning for the last week when I asked it to start and you are sleeping out in this stuff. Truly an inspiration!
    Hey-ya Steene,
    Your hammocks look really cool and a labor of love.
    As to last night, I was surprised that I slept so soundly and warm. It gives me confidence to get out into the Great North and use my hammock. I have always winter camped but not in a hammock and now I just am spoiled and love hanging and snoozing outdoors be it the backyard or preferably in the forest.
    Get that winter kit going, dress warmly and slumber soundly in wintery wonder.
    All secure,
    Shug

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hello All Interested Hanging Types,
    As I was dinking around the backyard last night with a full moon beaming it's moon-rays into my beanie covered noggin' .... the notion to string up the hammock overwhelmed any rational thoughts I may have had at that moment.
    The thermometer was at -3o at 9:30PM. Why not slumber in the chill?
    I hung my diy hammock, diy UQ, diy BlackCat tarp w/ end-flaps, SPE with a blue CCF pad from REI and a BA insulated mat partially inflated, REI Sub-Kilo 0o bag and diy hammock sock (to be deployed later if needed).
    Goofed around in the backyard until about 11:30PM and crawled in at about -6o at that time. I wore as follows: pair of Possum Down socks, VB socks over those then Smartwool expedition wool socks. Slept with JRB down sleeves over my footwear in the bag. Did not get cold feet at all. As well I did have the hammock sock pulled to about knee level just to see if that helped. Think that it did give that extra bit of protection.
    Wore on legs my REI mid weight polypro underwear, a pair of thin fleece leggings and Mont Bell Thermawrap pants over that. Splendid combination and I was warm.
    Torso was enclosed in Smartwool Mid-weight top, thin 100 weight fleece shirt, Golite Wisp wind shirt, Mont Bell short sleeve down shirt/vest, 200 weight fleece top from Campmor and a down parka over all of that. Fleece wrist warmers and slept in Manzella thin stretch gloves. Basically I sleep in my entire winter clothing minus rain pants and jacket. They are for that next level of cold to add if needed. Did not need put them on last night.
    By the way, I was well fed and had a hot drink before sleep.
    My head was covered in REI polypro balaclava (my favorite), 300 weight fleece beanie and my parka hood. I added a fleece facemask at around 4:00AM as it was -12o at that point and my nose was c-c-cold. Also, I got up to whoo-whoo and when I crawled back in I pulled the hammock sock up to my neck and closed it off. I feel that really helped in that time of night when the cold tends to catch up with you. No condensation in the hammock sock. Yes!
    Seeing that I slept until 8:00AM no need to tell you all that I was warm and comfortable and did not want to get out of the hammock. But do any of us hangers ever want to egress the hammock cocoon?? The cold never got me underneath and for that I am happy. I am really pleased to know that I/We can sleep out in frigid winter conditions in our favorite sleeping/camping style. Starting to feel like I am getting a good and safe system dialed in for this Minnesota type of cold.
    That is my report. If you cannot get to the woods then hang 'er in the backyard and test, test and test.
    Just chillin.......
    Shug

rock and roll dude neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts