WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling

Tarp Tie outs

I'm going to make a tarp, and am going to use 7/64 amsteal instead of webbing for the tie outs. Its !/4 the weight of webbing and I think the conection is strong enough. I have done a test corner and put 50 lb. on it. I then bounced it up and down and no tear outs. I would have put more weight on it but I only have 2 25lb bumd bells. I have never used at tarp before, and would like to know if this will be strong enough in the day to day weather?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Amsteel is waaaaaaay overkill for tie outs in my opinion. Something like zing it or mason line would be better suited for the job, and much cheaper. I don't think I've seen any webbing tie outs on the forum and I really don't know why one would use webbing. Maybe you're confusing tie outs with ridgeline? I'm sure somebody more experienced than I will chime in and clear it up!

Good luck on your tarp and please be sure to post some pictures of your new toy!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    When I say tie outs I meant where you attach the ridge line, and the line to stake the cornere. Every one I have seeen is made out of webbing. I made a test corner out of each and then weighed them. Webbing was 8 gr. and amsteal was 1.8 gr. Next I tested for the load. I only have the 50 lb. and both seemed to do OK. I'm just not sure if test is adiquite. I knoe the 7 grs. per tie out is not a lote, but with 8 tie outs its over 2 oz. I was just wanting to get others opinions.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Ah, you're talking about replacing the grosgrain loops with amsteel. I think the reason you're more likely to see something like 1/2" grosgrain instead of either amsteel or zing-it is that it's easier to sew, and be sure it's attached well. A couple rows of bartacking and you can be fairly certain that it's not going to pull off, or fail at the point of stitching. That, and it's flat. Sewing amsteel is not impossible, but not as easy as sewing grosgrain, nor does it sit/lay as flat.

As far as strength, Amsteel may be overkill, but hey, to each his own.

And are you talking 8 grams per corner, just for the ribbon/grosgrain, or what? Because you only need a 5-6 inch piece of ribbon, and I can't imagine it weighing that much? Unless you're using 1" poly webbing (the kind you make tree huggers with) in which case that really IS overkill.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i believe the webbing is used to provide a larger area to stitch thru. spreading the stress over a larger area and reducing the poss. of tear-out under heavy wind/snow load?

edit- yeah. what silentorpheus said.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    i believe the webbing is used to provide a larger area to stitch thru. spreading the stress over a larger area and reducing the poss. of tear-out under heavy wind/snow load?

edit- yeah. what silentorpheus said.
    Yeah, you're not really needing to worry about the webbing breaking, or the amsteel breaking. It's the stitching holding the webbing or amsteel to the tarp that would be the point of failure, likely. And the ribbon/grosgrain has a larger area of stitching, which should in theory reduce the likelihood of failure over the relatively small stitching area of the amsteel. And I just weighed a 8 inch piece of 7/8" grosgrain ribbon, and if fluctuated between 1 and 2 grams on my scale. So I'll call that 1.5g.

So to answer the original poster's question, yes, Amsteel itself should be strong enough. And assuming you sew it securely to the tarp, the stitching should hold. And if you have it on hand and for example don't have any grosgrain, by all means try it, and you'll be fine. But I wouldn't give it any higher marks than webbing, either for strength or weight, in this particular application. YMMV

• + New Posts