Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images

3rd Backyard Hang - Report/Newbie needs advice

This is my 3rd try at a backyard winter hang. Low was 20F last night. Gear list: ENO DN, nylon webbing w/elephant trunks, unknown ridgleline, BA insulated air-core, and TNF 15F bag. Got out at about 2AM and played around with setup till about 3:15. Slept soundly from about 3:30-8:00AM, but woke up covered in frost with really cold feet. Uncoated down is just not a good idea.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the hang of the hammock. I thought it was a bit tight around the shoulders, and the ridgleline was absurdly tight (~8.5' RL). As I understand it the angle of the straps is really extreme as well. I couldn't quite find my sweet spot like I have previously (in the same spot). How do I hang this properly? I tried the 30 degree angle, but it was really, really tight.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Link to four pictures in my HF gallery.

The pictures are real bad because they came from my phone and the lighting was weird at 8:30 w/o sunlight.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    well, I think i would not hooking the ridgeline to the elephant trunk but rather create a fixed loop and feed your hammock loop that you have through your gathered end through the loop in your ridgeline. I would probably also add 0.5' to a foot more length to your ridge line of 8.5 making it 9 then 9.5' long.

a bit tight in the shoulders sounds like you might be sliding or too long/tall for the current length of the hammock.

cold feet - in colder temps people double up on socks of where booties. did your pad extend down to your feet and also, when you work were your feet pressed against the side of the hammock body compressing your down bag?

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    I think if the ridgeline was 9.5 feet long it would be sagging in my face! It was 10' originally, and it was hanging under/along the side of my hammock. The RL was already pretty close to my face/body, I think it would get really uncomfortable if it was 4 inches closer. I realize that the ET's were not designed for the horizontal load, but is there another reason to do that?

I can't imagine I am too tall for the hammock, I'm only 5'10". You may be right that I was too far up in the hammock. Perhaps I took the "hang feet a little higher" idea too far.

The pad I used was think enough that while they were hanging just a bit off they were not touching anything, so the down wasn't compressed. Maybe the were too high up.

I feel like the straps were at waaay too sharp an angle, but it was extemely tight otherwise. grr

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    at least try removing the ridgeline of the ET's and feeding the loop you have through the gathered end through a loop on the R/L. i think your R/L hooked to the ET's is causing a bit of your problems.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hilo4321 View Post
    This is my 3rd try at a backyard winter hang. Low was 20F last night. Gear list: ENO DN, nylon webbing w/elephant trunks, unknown ridgleline, BA insulated air-core, and TNF 15F bag. Got out at about 2AM and played around with setup till about 3:15. Slept soundly from about 3:30-8:00AM, but woke up covered in frost with really cold feet. Uncoated down is just not a good idea.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the hang of the hammock. I thought it was a bit tight around the shoulders, and the ridgleline was absurdly tight (~8.5' RL). As I understand it the angle of the straps is really extreme as well. I couldn't quite find my sweet spot like I have previously (in the same spot). How do I hang this properly? I tried the 30 degree angle, but it was really, really tight.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Link to four pictures in my HF gallery.

The pictures are real bad because they came from my phone and the lighting was weird at 8:30 w/o sunlight.
    Thanks for posting some picts.
    This photo tells it all

IMO your strap angle is to low. Note that the end of the hammock is not inline with the straps. The ridgeline is trying to hold the hammock at the proper sag. I would find trees a bit closer together and raise the straps.

hth

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You could either find trees that are closer together or just raise the straps higher and loosen your suspension to get back to 18" off the ground and hopefully at the recommended 30 degree hangle. The latter sounds easier to me, HYOH.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I found in my ENO DN it was more comfortable with lots of sag. If you go by the ridgeline starting point of .83 of the hammock length, then for the ENO which is stated as being 9' 10", a ridgeline attached from end to end should be 8' 2". I would suggest you try a little more sag, i.e shorten your ridgeline. Just a thought.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I second finding a shorter span to hang from. Or use a ladder to lift your suspension up the tree. I did the ladder thing in my backyard because the span was too long to achieve good suspension angles.
    Keep your hammock centered between the trees (within reason). A short suspension run on one end will effect the lay.

Your ridgeline length is a personal thing....keep adjusting it till your happy and comfy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    So if I understand correctly, the 30 degree rule pretty much goes out the window when using trees that are especially far apart?

Now that I think about it, maybe I am misunderstanding which angle is 30 degrees...
    Last edited by hilo4321; 03-12-2011 at 14:42. Reason: Edit to add

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hilo4321 View Post
    So if I understand correctly, the 30 degree rule pretty much goes out the window when using trees that are especially far apart?

Now that I think about it, maybe I am misunderstanding which angle is 30 degrees...
    No, it's still 30 degrees. But if the tree's are too far apart you'll need a step ladder to tie them high enough.
    If your ridgeline is doing all the work to keep the hammock at the proper sag you don't have it adjusted right.
    The ridgeline should be sagging when you first tie it up and when you get in it should taught not loose on tight.

Also the 30 degree's is just a starting point.
    In my experience owning a ENO double, HH, BB, and SB the angle is different for the best lay.
    Here's the angles I found that works best for me.
    ENO= 32-40
    HH= 30
    BB=32-35
    SB= 25-30

hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast