WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

suggestions on gear hammock?

Well, based on some of the suggestions I got to my question of where folks hang their packs, I tried a number of locations on my hammock during my overnight trip last night. Nothing really works as hanging any real weight off of the hammock throws off the comfort for me. Around 2 last night I put the pack on a plastic sheet on the ground and slept great.

Since I want to keep my pack off the ground, under my tarp and off my hammock, and since my biggest problem around a campfire is sore buns syndrome (SBS), I thought that i'd make a gear hammock that I could also use as a hammock chair.

Unfortunately, "gear hammock", as you would expect, brings up a million unrelated items. Can anyone point me to a post on some ideas? If possible, I'd like to keep in under 6 ounces.

Thanks,

SN

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I don't know about a post but AHE sells a chair that could be used as a gear hammock.

JRB sells a gear hammock pack cover but I don't think I would use it as a camp chair.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    search the econochallenge on youtude. they have a hammock chair that can be both a chair and a gear hammock.
    Hops

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    Since I want to keep my pack off the ground, under my tarp and off my hammock, and since my biggest problem around a campfire is sore buns syndrome (SBS), I thought that i'd make a gear hammock that I could also use as a hammock chair.

Unfortunately, "gear hammock", as you would expect, brings up a million unrelated items. Can anyone point me to a post on some ideas? If possible, I'd like to keep in under 6 ounces.
    There's also the Gear Box from Molly Mac Gear. It is silnylon with a full cover flap that can be hung anywhere.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have been reading alot about about the pack cover/ gear Hammocks. But I like the idea of a lightweight chair during the day and gear hammock at night, so after about 30 min. in the garage I came up with something. Cut down a mesh campers hammock from wm and knotted the ends just long enough for my pack to sit in, tonight I used some para cord but final product will have 6 foot whoopies larksheaded below knots. I'll. Use my tree huggers from my hammock attached to the whoopies to go over the limb.weighs. 2.8 oz. before whoopies. I'm sure someone here can tell me how much a set of 6 foot 7/64 amsteel whoopies weigh. And the tree huggers come along anyway so no extra weight there.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I made a gear hammock that is basically a copy of the molly mac gearbox and used it on the Birkhead hang a couple of weeks ago.
    It has a ridgeline in one seam, which made it a bit tippy.
    Mac mentioned the idea of adding a shock cord ridgeline to one seam in the gear box to help with the tippy issues.
    I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

I suggest you search for the thread on gear hammocks from about 1.5- 2 months ago, as it had some great diagrams and step by step instructions.
    If I had more time I would go find that thread and turn it into a "how to" on my website... but I have to log off and go do my monthly bills
    maybe I'll get to it later htis week.

Anyhow, I am right there with you that this should be doable.
    I'm thinking that combining the gear hammock thread mentioned above, with JustJeff's pack cover is a no-brainer for a DIY project. Also making it a good seat is the challenge that I was struggling with. However, I'm thinking that an amsteel ridgeline in one seam, with a shock cord ridgeline in the other will solve all the issues and make for a light 3-in-1 item.

Dang.
    I really don't need to add another project to my list, but the more I think about this the more I want to try it. Maybe if I can get through my current IX TQ and gravity feed water filter projects, then I can add a few tie outs to my new Gear Guide tarp and finish making the batch of mason line soft shackles and tarp tie-out whoopies that I started. With all that done I may be able to consider the 3-in-1 gear hammock/pack cover/chair.

He Wolf Track. I'm intersted to hear how your mesh hammock works out.
    I tried mine as a gear hammock about 2 decades ago and found that every little adjuster and buckle on my pack got snagged in the hammock mesh. WAY more trouble than it was worth.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Glad to hear that you might have one in the works. I've been looking at this all weekend and have come up with a plan that I hope to get done in the next week or so when the materials arrive. Hoping to make it a gear hammock/hammock seat/econo seat/pack cover/signaling device. Adding the last part as I'm making it out of blaze orange silnylon. Figure that might keep people from tripping over it around the fire, and I can use it as an emergency signal if necessary, or a hunter advisary on my pack. . .

I'll let you know how it turns out. Hope I don't run into that tippy issue. ..

SN

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    ...made it a bit tippy.
    Mac mentioned the idea of adding a shock cord ridgeline to one seam in the gear box to help with the tippy issues.
    I converted one of my Gear Boxes to use a shock cord in both edges, and it was a tremendous improvement. The SEEP still works just fine, but it is shaped better, and behaves better. It's how I will make them from now on.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So, with this tippy problem, your resolution is shock cord in what would be the edges if you were laying in it. You're not talking about replacing the whoopie sling, right?

SN

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    So, with this tippy problem, your resolution is shock cord in what would be the edges if you were laying in it. You're not talking about replacing the whoopie sling, right?
    The shock cord is in the hammock hem; it doesn't replace the suspension.

Regarding the tipping... I did not have a problem with it, because I used it to my advantage. The side with the ridgeline running through the hem would stay up, and the side with the SEEP attached would open up, so that I could place my pack inside easily. Then, I would pull up the SEEP and shift the load so that all would be ballasted well. Sorta like shaking the contents down into the belly of the hammock, before tossing the SEEP over it all.

With shock cord in the hem of the hammock, both sides stay up, and everything goes right into the belly of the hammock. You hold it open with one hand while you place contents with the other hand. It works well!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts