Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Cuben Fiber Tarp And Pack

Looking for a cuben fiber tarp around 10 x 10 or larger, while I am at it I may as well investigate a pack too. Thanks,
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Zpacks.com - Great tarps, and I think the only one making cuben packs at present.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Looking for a cuben fiber tarp around 10 x 10 or larger, while I am at it I may as well investigate a pack too. Thanks,
    Mule
    i'm also investigation cuben tarps!!

since a roll is only 54" wide, you might have difficulty finding any tarps over 8.5' wide (at least that is what I'm finding)

let me know if you find new info!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    i'm also investigation cuben tarps!!

since a roll is only 54" wide, you might have difficulty finding any tarps over 8.5' wide (at least that is what I'm finding)

let me know if you find new info!!
    You are correct, at least joe at z-packs is not making them over 8.5 wide. He says the bonding would be to difficult and has not found an effective way to increase width while maintaining durability. I cant wait to get my cuben. Should be any week now.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Mule, someone had a cuban pack with a bamboo frame at the Dolly Sods hang last year. It was prety impressive. I can't remember the name but they came in with HappyCamper.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    You are correct, at least joe at z-packs is not making them over 8.5 wide. He says the bonding would be too difficult and has not found an effective way to increase width while maintaining durability. I cant wait to get my cuben. Should be any week now.
    The tarp that I refer to as 9' x 11' is actually only 8' 9" wide. It has a 1" overlap seam in the middle and 1/2" folded edge seams. I suspect that Joe is more concerned with the cost of multiple seams or wasting materials than durability, unless he means that a significantly larger tarp makes a pretty big sail to catch the wind. Three panels 54" wide would give you about 13' as one dimension, so a 13' x 15' (or longer) tarp would be possible. I don't think strength would be an issue, but materials alone would cost well over $300.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Mule, someone had a cuban pack with a bamboo frame at the Dolly Sods hang last year. It was prety impressive. I can't remember the name but they came in with HappyCamper.
    Yes, Thanks HamMike, After investigating the options all of you helped me find, I am not so sure I want to settle for a 54 inch wide tarp. If my silnylon tarp were only 54 inches wide and 9 feet long like the ones I have been looking at, then it would only weigh about 8 or 10 ounces and that's including the edges being done with sizing and tie outs. I could buy the material for about $150 to make my own, but again the edge treatment, especially at the ridgeline tie outs would be weak. I think I am staying with my Speer Winter Tarp, which is about 22 ounces with all the fixins and maybe buying or makeing a diamond tarp, 9 x 9 for a real lightweight summer tarp. Thanks for all your comments. You have helped ward off another attach of Gear Lust.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    The tarp that I refer to as 9' x 11' is actually only 8' 9" wide. It has a 1" overlap seam in the middle and 1/2" folded edge seams. I suspect that Joe is more concerned with the cost of multiple seams or wasting materials than durability, unless he means that a significantly larger tarp makes a pretty big sail to catch the wind. Three panels 54" wide would give you about 13' as one dimension, so a 13' x 15' (or longer) tarp would be possible. I don't think strength would be an issue, but materials alone would cost well over $300.
    Yes, WV, I know what you mean. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Yes, Thanks HamMike, After investigating the options all of you helped me find, I am not so sure I want to settle for a 54 inch wide tarp. If my silnylon tarp were only 54 inches wide and 9 feet long like the ones I have been looking at, then it would only weigh about 8 or 10 ounces and that's including the edges being done with sizing and tie outs. I could buy the material for about $150 to make my own, but again the edge treatment, especially at the ridgeline tie outs would be weak. I think I am staying with my Speer Winter Tarp, which is about 22 ounces with all the fixins and maybe buying or makeing a diamond tarp, 9 x 9 for a real lightweight summer tarp. Thanks for all your comments. You have helped ward off another attach of Gear Lust.
    Well, just to make sure that you understand, it's not really a 54" wide tarp. It's a 8.5' wide tarp (two 54" wide pieces seamed together at the ridge).

I wouldn't want a 54" wide tarp either, but 8.5' is about 102", which is only a foot or so of total width less than my WB Superfly. I just ordered a custom fly from Joe at ZPacks that will have almost the exact same dimensions as my Superfly with doors with a 20 ounce weight savings. (My Superfly with doors weighs around 27 ounces without the ridgeline - but including tieouts. My ZPacks is being estimated at about 6 ounces, so even adding the tieouts back on, should be about 20 ounces). I call that pretty significant!

SN

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    Well, just to make sure that you understand, it's not really a 54" wide tarp. It's a 8.5' wide tarp (two 54" wide pieces seamed together at the ridge).

I wouldn't want a 54" wide tarp either, but 8.5' is about 102", which is only a foot or so of total width less than my WB Superfly. I just ordered a custom fly from Joe at ZPacks that will have almost the exact same dimensions as my Superfly with doors with a 20 ounce weight savings. (My Superfly with doors weighs around 27 ounces without the ridgeline - but including tieouts. My ZPacks is being estimated at about 6 ounces, so even adding the tieouts back on, should be about 20 ounces). I call that pretty significant!

SN
    Thanks. Yes, I now have one on order with Zpack too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast