WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie

My first hang, thanks and observations

I got into hammocking just this year for a summertime bike ride along the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango--thought that a light hammock set up would be better for a great nights sleep and of similar weight to other systems (turned out I was right). I learned an incredible amount of information from this site--I am very grateful to everyone and their posts.

My set up: I am using the WBBB hammock, Yeti 3-season underquilt, Golite Ultralite top quilt, OES Maccat Standard sil tarp (all the above in black), 7/64" Amsteel whoopie sling suspensions, Polypro 1" tree straps with (soon to be) Dutchclips, Zing-it tarp continuous ridgeline with Zing-it soft shackles, and Zing-it tie outs with internally threaded latex tubing shock cord.

I got a little too into making all the Amsteel stuff--it was way easier to make than I thought (I used mig welding cable to do all my pull outs--worked the charm) until my fingers hurt. If anyone is considering making their own Amsteel components, do it. Piece of cake.

The hang went great--it was in the middle of a 25 mile single track ride so I was a little winded and it was a little breezy. Only took two tries to get the angle of the dangle right for a comfortable lay using the whoopie slings (awesome gear) and get my lines/techniques figured out for both the hammock and tarp. Here are my suggestions.

#1) I made Zing-it prussik soft shackles to attach the tarp to the ridgeline. These darn things are just too hard to open when you have cold fingers and I will be modifying this set up. The 7/64" amsteel opens way easier, but you can't prussik this onto the zing-it due to diameter disparity. So I am going to use the zing it as the prussik and the 7/64 soft shackles as the attachment to these prussiks. Just a tad extra weight. Might still come up with another idea on that.

#2) after the continuous tarp ridgeline is up, but before it is tightened, is the time to attach the tarp so that it is waist/chest high and much easier to work on--then tighten it between trees and set the tarp tension.

Wow--that is my only two suggestions! That goes to show you the vast amount of awesome information that is to be gathered from this site! Now a donating member!

edit: One more thing--I used two different colors for the whoopie slings--yellow for the head, orange for the bottom, so I always know which way I am setting it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rumblefish; 03-13-2011 at 10:41.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looks good! Looking forward to a report of your trip. Isn't it like 350 miles or something like that? How many days are you going to take to do it?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Sounds like you are working it out pretty good, which is part of the fun of camping.

A suggestion, I have Fig 9's prussik'd on my ridge line. Makes it super easy to adjust the tension, even with the bulkiest of gloves on. They are very light weight too. Just a suggestion to consider.

I've heard the Colorado Trail is awesome and expect you'll have an amazing time. Can't wait to hear your trip report - and see some pics!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The trip is about 500 miles on a bike--it has a few mandatory detours around wilderness areas. I am planning to take 10 days--it is a grueling pace, but my goal is to get to Ska Brewing, so I have a friggin huge carrot to shoot for.

Thanks for the advice on the figure 9--I am already adusting my ridgeline with it on one end and a knot bone on the other so I know what they can do. Still playing--it is my fallback for sure. :-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Good luck and travel safe! Looking forward to the trip report!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts