WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    It's not very likely but hitting a pin dead on with a needle will not deflect and its bad news for the needle and potentially for the sewing machine.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I musta' watched the same video.. I did my bear bag and left the pins in.. worked fine and was much easier .. I have also had good luck using Stitch Witchery ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I generally keep them in. Just remember when you are placing them to place them pointy side away from you. By that I mean, place them so that as you are sewing when you sew past the pin, the dull end is the first end you encounter. That will keep you from accidently pricking yourself with a pin. Also, I find it much quicker leaving them in.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This thread is almost exactly five years old. There might be an award for that!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    hehe... it is still a point of debate though. Leaving the pins in is an ok idea if the pins are at right angles to the stitch line. If you place pins in line ofr one reason or another, you always want to remove them. There is a much higher probability of hitting a pin with the needle.

Hitting a pin with a needle at high speed stitching is a very problematic thing to do. Needles do not often break simply and cleanly in two pieces. One piece can stay strung of the thread while another is clamped to the machine. But other pieces which may be created are going to fly off in dangerous ways. OSHA actually has needle guards intended to protect workers from breaking needle pieces. In addition even if the needle grazes the pin it can bend which creates a very high level of dangerous breakage. The higher the sewing speed the greater the danger.

I take my pins out for the most part. But if you leave them in... be aware of the trade-offs.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    +1 on what Ramblinrev said. Use caution.

I was taught to never sew over pins. My Mum has made a living sewing, so she is my teacher. Needles can, and often do, snap if they hit a pin. She tells tales of pieces of broken needles in eyes ending badly, and not just once. She recommends wearing glasses of some sort while sewing anyway, but insists on eye protection if one chooses to sew over pins.

Also, it can be hard on the machine.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    hehe... it is still a point of debate though. Leaving the pins in is an ok idea if the pins are at right angles to the stitch line. If you place pins in line ofr one reason or another, you always want to remove them. There is a much higher probability of hitting a pin with the needle.
    Yes, Very important to have them at right angles. My Mom did it this way, so I do too. I have broken a needle or two though. Buy good pins too, the ones sold in dollar stores and such are thicker and the heads pull off at times. I've noticed a change in quality from the pins that my Mother had in her sewing notions and my newer ones. I'm choosier now.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't do it so often any more, but they're always at right angles when I do.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    you kids and your pins ......

i don't really use them anymore ... i did when i first started but i got away from them after a while .
    but i always pulled mine out as i was sewing in fear of hitting on with the needle
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't use them for hems anymore...just for tricky joinery.